What do the PCs find in a City of the Jann?

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm converting/creating an adventure for my players and it involves an extended/repeat visit to Qaybar, City of the Jann. The city is my own creation – a planeshifting, hidden, labyrinthine place of wonders.

My question is: What cool sites / sights / encounters do you imagine the PCs discovering in this City of the Jann?

The jann are the weakest of true genie-kind, composed of all four elements, and are often depicted as a proud otherworldly people, consummate desert nomads, or lackeys for mightier genies. They have powers including flight, water breathing, speaking with animals, invisibility, creating food/water, shrinking/reducing creatures and objects, and turning ethereal.

FR Wiki on "Janni": http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Janni
d20 SRD on Genies, Janni: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm

EDIT: While the question is edition-agnostic, for the record we're playing 5th edition with high-level (11th+) characters.

[SBLOCK=Description of Qaybar]
Qaybar, City of the Jann

Qaybar is a magical city built by a tribe of jann ages ago when the Seal of Jafar al-Samal (used to bind genies, making sha'irs possible) was entrusted into their guardianship. Smoke and frankincense streams among its copper towers and silk banners. Alongside mortal servants, traders, and minor elementals, the statuesque robed and veiled jann trade in commodities rare and mystical. While guest hospitality is taken seriously by the jann who observe the bond of salt, newcomers will be greeted with furtive eyes, whispers in strange tongues, and concealed hand signs.

Jann of Qaybar. The jann of Qaybar differ from their nomadic brethren in the deserts of Zakhara. While they share common traditions (e.g. the bond of salt) and often ancestries, the jann of Qaybar could never be mistaken for human. Their eyes sparkle with otherworldly light, they stand head and shoulders above most men, their skin may take an unusual hue, and their voices may rumble with thunder or hiss with whispering wind. Additionally, they don't suffer from being away from the Material Plane for prolonged periods as do most jann. Their culture is based on trade. Magic items, spells, art objects, dreams, wishes, shadows… Everything has a price. The more attached a creature is to a particular thing, the more the jann of Qaybar covet it. Haggling is elevated to art-form, and a misstep can easily offend the jann (or perhaps they merely pretend in order to drive up their asking price). Despite this, a sealed transaction is considered sacrosanct; no jann of Qaybar would renege on a deal.

A Planeshifting City. The great spell (some would say curse) cast upon Qaybar causes it to planeshift every 20-25 years between the Planes of Air, Water, Earth, Fire, and Zakhara on the Material Plane. Where it will appear on a given plane can be predicted via astrology or geomancy. With each planeshift, the city undergoes a regime change as djinn, marids, dao, and efreet attempt to exert their will upon Qaybar through proxies, manipulation, or outright domination. Qaybar left the Plane of Fire and domination of the efreet a couple years ago, appearing in the desert between Zakhara's Pearl Cities.

A Hidden City. No teleportation or planeshifting magic may be used to reach Qaybar (akin to a forbiddance spell). However, finding the city via overland routes is made difficult as maps and merchant’s memories prove inaccurate, landmarks seems to change, and the desert seems to confound caravans bound for the city. Without find the path or attunement to a copper navigation disc unique to the jann, travel to Qaybar takes 2-3 times as long and tends to be fraught with sandstorms and other hazards.

A Labyrinth City. Designed as a labyrinth of towers, twisting streets and bridges, stairs stopping in mid-air, and secret passages, Qaybar is daunting to navigate without a guide or magic allowing flight. Many of its worked stone walls are mortared with gorgon blood, preventing even a dao’s passwall from working. And the silk banners above the streets prevent flying creatures from attaining an altitude higher than the banners. Thus, potential genie invaders must enter Qaybar on foot and capture it street by street.

A Wondrous City. Qaybar could never be mistaken for a common caravanserai or mortal city. Pomegranate, persimmon, and fig trees can be found growing by hanging gardens; their fruit is said to transport the eater’s mind to distant lands and oases. All beasts, upon entering Qaybar, gain the ability to speak and understand Common; many a merchant has been astonished to find their pack camel stubbornly refusing to take one step further until properly groomed and fed. And the bazaar boasts magical items and antiquities the likes of which are traded nowhere else (see DMG pg.130).

An Ethereal City. Qaybar exists as much on its current plane as it does in the Border Ethereal, where the ground level streets are shrouded in thick bluish mists and the minarets glow faintly against a sea of the cosmos. Special guardians and magical pathways known as the Masarat al-Jann are found in the mists. This is the spiritual heart of Qaybar, sought after by malevolent forces which assail the city with ether cyclones (seemingly common storms on the Material or Inner Plane). Jann alchemists and philosophers believe it is in the Border Ethereal where the Seal of Jafar al-Samal was hidden and where lies hope for the transcendence of the jann race into a form equal to other genies.

Dark Side of Hospitality. When outriders from the city find stragglers lost in the desert, they are brought back to Qaybar under the auspices of caring for the poor travelers. However, what may not be readily apparent is the “water price” the rescued individuals now owe to the Emir of the jann; such “fortunate souls” are expected to serve for no less than a year and a day. The jann look dimly on those who refuse their traditions.
[/SBLOCK]

4XgGuZi.jpg

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Attempted a rough work-in-progress map of the geography & city wards...

[SBLOCK=Map]
QLXlsRT.png
[/SBLOCK]

In addition to the character of the jann, I need to consider a few practical points:

1. A single jann, once per day, can cast create food and water (which in 5e can feed 15 humanoids or 5 steeds). Even if jann only make up half of the city's population, Qaybar's agricultural needs are going to be very very low indeed. With that much food security, there's going to be a lot of room for academic/artistic/mercantile/military/leisure pursuits.

2. Since jann can fly, breath underwater, and cast enlarge/reduce their architecture may not be bounded by normal human conventions. Stairs with 30' gaps may be common, turrets may only be accessible via flight, pools or aqueducts may connect via underwater tunnels, and arches sized for small creatures may be used to impede the movement of intruders (and the act of bowing one's head meant to humble guests).

3. Additionally, their ability to turn ethereal suggests that gorgon's blood (for example) is used in mortar to prevent neighbors from dropping in announced quite literally. It's also possible that clues could be left in the Border Ethereal, intended for only other jann to find. Areas that need to heavily guarded may rely on creatures that can shift to the Ethereal Plane (e.g. ghosts, night hags, nightmares, succubi, phase spiders, or from older editions the shedu) or castings of Mordenkainen's faithful hound.

4. The ability to speak with animals (and the jann's leanings toward animal husbandry) suggests animals would abound in the city, potentially as innocuous eyes and ears for the jann, potentially operating more sophisticated machinery that requires a greater degree of training.

Last edited:

Dualazi

First Post
Well...without getting into specifics, you'd have to wonder if it would even resemble anything near a conventional human city. Roads and bridges exist so that we can have a path of clear, safe travel for both ourselves and the goods that need to be transported from distributor to market to individual. The frankly ill-thought out suite of powers the janni (not blaming this on you, I'm saying the early rules didn't have as much thought about it) have call these necessities into question. The combination of water breathing, flight, and etherealness is one thing, the ability to change the size of themselves (presumably with weight allowances increased) then they might not have roads at all, with buildings simply built as closely together as architecture would allow.

Also, if flight is the main mode of locomotion, especially without aid of items or vehicles, then I would presume a great deal of the artistic element of building creation would be lavished on the rooftops, since most "pedestrian" traffic will be looking down on it. Popular meeting places, such as bars and brothels, would also likely endeavor to be quite tall, so as to have multiple landing points and be more eye-catching. This is turn could prompt a societal arms race of ever-increasing building height in the name of commerce.

As you said, assuming there is a majority jann population, food and water are likely not huge concerns, so what restaurants are present are probably catering to the elite with rare foods that can't be produced with basic magic. I would expect most of their culture to revolve around artisan-ship, with a great deal of importance placed on ornate details, and with a robust musical and playwright community, as well as art.

As to your original question though, I would personally make the city a vertically oriented column, slowly curving down toward the ground. Depending on your PC's methods of locomotion even getting around could be a real challenge, and it would help (in my opinion) to solidify the alien nature of the jann more than any single sight or structure might.

Quickleaf

Legend
Insightful comments, thanks! :)

Well...without getting into specifics, you'd have to wonder if it would even resemble anything near a conventional human city. Roads and bridges exist so that we can have a path of clear, safe travel for both ourselves and the goods that need to be transported from distributor to market to individual. The frankly ill-thought out suite of powers the janni (not blaming this on you, I'm saying the early rules didn't have as much thought about it) have call these necessities into question. The combination of water breathing, flight, and etherealness is one thing, the ability to change the size of themselves (presumably with weight allowances increased) then they might not have roads at all, with buildings simply built as closely together as architecture would allow.
I think of the jann approach routes/paths/roads a bit like a child approaches a journey. They don't worry about preparation or timing, they just are in the moment enjoying the process. The destination may or may not be important (depending on the child's mood). Maybe urbanized jann treat roads/bridges as nomadic jann treat a caravan? It's an opportunity to learn about the world or oneself, and make merry and trade stories with companions. So technically they don't need such things as roads/bridges, but find value in them all the same.

Also, if flight is the main mode of locomotion, especially without aid of items or vehicles, then I would presume a great deal of the artistic element of building creation would be lavished on the rooftops, since most "pedestrian" traffic will be looking down on it. Popular meeting places, such as bars and brothels, would also likely endeavor to be quite tall, so as to have multiple landing points and be more eye-catching. This is turn could prompt a societal arms race of ever-increasing building height in the name of commerce.
I was thinking that at first, then considered the premise of Qaybar – it planeshifts among the Inner Planes. And that means dao & efreet – flying creatures – get their turns trying to rule or lay siege to Qaybar. So vastly more powerful flying creatures regularly threaten the city. That makes me think the jann might want to try to limit flying (and sight lines!) so the more powerful genies don't run roughshod over the jann. Also, thinking from a defensive perspective, maybe the use their etherealness to lead mostly ground-bound genie invaders into apparent dead ends, with the fleeing jann suddenly turning to vapor and the ambush being sprung.

As you said, assuming there is a majority jann population, food and water are likely not huge concerns, so what restaurants are present are probably catering to the elite with rare foods that can't be produced with basic magic.
Given that create food and water creates food for 15 humanoids or 5 steeds (or, for example, 3 humanoids and 4 steeds), I think it's fair to imagine that jann account for 1/3 to 1/2 of the city's population and there would be a huge number of mounts/animal companions. I mean like every jann household would have a couple horses/camels, goats, and trained hawks (not to mention possible "water price" servants).

It's also possible that the jann's emphasis on guest hospitality considers using create food and water for guests shameful in all but the most dire of circumstances; instead rarer fare is sought out for honored guests. Thus their "agriculture" would be focused on luxury foodstuffs.

I would expect most of their culture to revolve around artisan-ship, with a great deal of importance placed on ornate details, and with a robust musical and playwright community, as well as art.
Agreed. I see them attracting lots of poets, philosophers, and bards.

As to your original question though, I would personally make the city a vertically oriented column, slowly curving down toward the ground. Depending on your PC's methods of locomotion even getting around could be a real challenge, and it would help (in my opinion) to solidify the alien nature of the jann more than any single sight or structure might.
Huh. You mean like the Infinity Tower in Dubai?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Another thing to consider: given their ability to literally walk through walls, maybe they have no sense of privacy as we know it, aside from what they've adopted from ins.

Or it may be simple politeness that keeps them out of each other's homes; after all, it's not like the walls of a yurt make an impenetrable fortress either, but steppes nomads weren't known for just barging in on each other.

Also, you might consider changing the city's name unless you want to hear a bunch of "gay bar" jokes. Or maybe I just run with the wrong sorts of people.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hah, different crowds! Never even occurred to me until you pointed it out!

Another thing to consider: given their ability to literally walk through walls, maybe they have no sense of privacy as we know it, aside from what they've adopted from ins.

Or it may be simple politeness that keeps them out of each other's homes; after all, it's not like the walls of a yurt make an impenetrable fortress either, but steppes nomads weren't known for just barging in on each other.

I liked how in your conversion of Zakhara's jann you removed the etherealness and flying – it just made more sense with how they're depicted as being bound to the world and traveling in wondrous caravans. With the these jann of Qaybar I'm looking to do a direct translation of the AD&D and d20 jann keeping those powers since they're more "in tune" with their elemental roots.

Simple politeness makes sense. I do imagine that more sensitive areas like the armory, prison, emir's palace, and so forth would have defenses like gorgon's blood; if not to protect against rebellious jann, then to protect from dao with the ability to passwall.

The more I think about a city built with inhabitants with the ability to enter the border Ethereal, the more I think Qaybar would have a presence on the border Ethereal. Sort of a city within/parallel to the city, with some architecture extending into the Border Ethereal (or new architecture entirely!). Ethereal access is the one exception to the restriction on teleportation/planeshifting magic; so spells with an ethereal presence like blink, forcecage, Leomund's secret chest, Mordenkainen's faithful hound, and wall of force still would function and might be highly valued. The jann (and perhaps anyone powerful jann bestow with a charm) would routinely use the border Ethereal, both on guard duty and for convenient conveyance

It's reminding me a bit of this concept art from the 2008 Prince of Persia game...

[SBLOCK]
prince-of-persia-art-10.jpg
[/SBLOCK]

There was a sort of spirit world to the city in that game which defied normal physics - running up walls, flying, teleporter pads - and could be used to access hard-to-reach areas & uncover secrets.

Hmm. Maybe when sandstorms hit Qaybar, warning balls toll not just on the Material Plane but on the Border Ethereal as well as it is struck by an ether cyclone concurrently with the sandstorm.

Celebrim

Legend
I love your project and thank you are doing really great work. I wish I'd had time to do more brainstorming for you, but you seem to have things very well in hand indeed.

I just wanted to make a quick comment that I'd always had a sweet spot in my heart for the Jann, owing to typos in the original 1e MM2. As a 1e DM, I was acutely aware of how few creatures represented truly epic foes for 1e players, so I was always looking for any edge or any monster that was a credible opponent for high level characters.

Thus my delight (and awe, before I figured out it was a typo), the lords and rulers of the (6+1 HD) Jann had 72HD and 83HD.

I would start by wondering what the purpose of the city is? Why have they bothered to construct a city... I mean, these are desert nomads who travel in tribes of 30, and rest up in oases, tents and ruined temples...

I could see it as a sprawling set of small individual sites and temples, carvings along narrow canyons, ornately decorated cave entrances, stretching over many miles, taking inspiration from the site at Petra.

Something that many tribes have each contributed their little bit to, some newly built by recent visitors, other areas almost worn smooth again by the wind and sand where a tribe has been lost and not returned. It is built around something sacred, an oasis of particular significance perhaps, or an older temple the origins of which have passed into myth and legend.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION] :) I forgot about those! D&D is always more "interesting" with typos. Hah.

I would start by wondering what the purpose of the city is? Why have they bothered to construct a city... I mean, these are desert nomads who travel in tribes of 30, and rest up in oases, tents and ruined temples...

Well, in AD&D it was mentioned that (emphasis mine): "Many jann tribes are nomadic, traveling with flocks of camels, goats, or sheep from oasis to oasis. These itinerant jann appear human in every respect, and are often mistaken for them, unless they are attacked." So it's not ALL jann who are nomads. Moreover, Secrets of the Lamp mentions the ruined city of Ubar as once being inhabited by desert giants and jann. So it's not totally out of character with existing lore.

Besides being a fun adventure site, the city has a couple reasons for being:
  1. Protect an Artifact: It was supposedly where an artifact was given from the first sha'ir to the jann for safekeeping. More in the spoiler in my first post. Wizards and genies often visit seeking out this artifact, so the need for continued protection of it (even if it has been so long it's more a legend and no one knows exactly where it is).
  2. Shelter for Inner Planes Jann: It serves as a gathering place & sanctuary for jann, who are often servitors of power powerful genies on the Inner Planes. Escaped slavery to the dao? Or fled impressed servited in the efreet's armies? The city welcomes these jann (and genasi too).
  3. Gathering for Material Plane Jann: Family is of utmost importance to the jann, and nomads need occasions to gather disparate tribes together to resolve disputes, discuss matters that impact all tribes, gain news from family on the planes, and so forth. The plane-roving city provides that.
  4. Sacred Site: It is where jann learned how to (or gained the innate ability to) enter the Ethereal Plane. Sort of like your sacred site idea. Some jann philosophers/alchemists believe that as beings composed of all elements they have the capacity to awaken parts of themselves and transcend to more powerful states, perhaps gaining their place as equals among genies one day; these philosophers/alchemists believe that the Ethereal echo of the city hides spiritually transformative secrets.

I could see it as a sprawling set of small individual sites and temples, carvings along narrow canyons, ornately decorated cave entrances, stretching over many miles, taking inspiration from the site at Petra.

Something that many tribes have each contributed their little bit to, some newly built by recent visitors, other areas almost worn smooth again by the wind and sand where a tribe has been lost and not returned. It is built around something sacred, an oasis of particular significance perhaps, or an older temple the origins of which have passed into myth and legend.

I can really see that! A whole section of the city carved into canyon walls. I like the idea of layers of history there, built over millennia by jann tribes coming and going from the city.

Remove ads