D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A Renaissance Story

Lucien barks a laugh. The situation was funny. Lucien was stuck in the city and wanted nothing more than to get out. Now here was this girl asking him to get her out. With the city locked down and him without a ship the possibility of helping her was slim.

"Arcata is it?" Lucien grins at the woman. "Running from or towards someone?"

Lucien looks towards the back door to the tavern. If she was running she might have some nobleman after her or the city guard. Was it worth his trouble to help the girl.

"Why should I help you?"

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata felt all her carefully rehearsed lines fading from her mind when confronted with that question. She'd known his help wouldn't be free, but what did she really have to offer?

If that's all I have, I may as well walk back to the Guild hall right now. I've come this far...I can't stop now.

"I have some coin," she answers, "And there'll be more when I get where I'm going. But...outside of that, you can't get out of the city right now either, right? I may be able to help with that."

Suggest. Don't promise. Imply. It might not even be a lie, really. She could do lots of things nowadays...whether or not Lucien would want any part of them was another question entirely. One best resolved after he had no other choice.

Lucien looks her up and down. She was probably not being fully honest with him but that didn't matter. If she could help him get out of the city he'd take her where ever she wanted to go. But that was a big if with little certainty. But he was known to gamble, plus it was his only option.

"I have business in the city at the moment but will need a way out once it is complete. If you can arrange that I will take you where ever you want to go."

Now he needed Giovanni to show up and get him his ship. He lifts his hammer to his shoulder and smiles.

"Meet me here tomorrow same time and we can discuss the arrangement further."

Shayuri

First Post
Tomorrow? Arcata bites her bottom lip a little and looks to the side, trying to think clearly. She'd hoped for something faster. Meeting tomorrow meant having to find a place to stay. Meant giving the Guild plenty of time to get their act together, get organized, and begin formally searching the city. She had only one thing on her side; they'd been keeping her presence from the Church. That meant that they'd probably try to be at least a little circumspect in their efforts to find her. She wouldn't have even put the 'break in' at the Tower being some kind of ruse to cover it all up beyond them.

She could offer to help with his business, in the hopes it would get done sooner that way. But even assuming he'd agree...unlikely...it would also underscore her desperation, and THAT could easily increase the price of his aid by a considerable sum. Possibly to more than she could afford.

Reluctantly, Arcata nodded.

"Tomorrow then."

Her stomach churned as she made her way back through the tavern to the bar. She needed a place to stay, but...an inn near the docks would be too obvious, wouldn't it? They'd know she wanted out of town. The docks, the gates...they'd check those places first.

She took her seat again alongside Nicolo and the quiet, dark-haired woman.

Looking at the monk, she asked, "It seems I need to find a place to stay for a night. Where are you lodging? It would be a comfort to have a friend under the same roof."

tglassy

Adventurer
Nicolo's eyes raised at the question.

"I have a flat, not far from here actually," he said. "It is...modest. But clean, and out of the way. Of course, you are always welcome."

pathfinderq1

First Post
*Ding* The clock in the front room of Oswaldo's shop rang clearly throughout the entire building- the gear-driven device was more reliable and precise than a water-clock, and the old gnome was quite rightfully proud of it, so he had made sure it was easy to hear. 'Too easy,' Jilliana thought, as she bent over the tray of plant matter resting atop a small burner. This was apprentice work, still, but it was finicky; the timing had to be just right- she couldn't afford to be distracted by the clock's chime... There was that appointment, but it wasn't until later.

*Ding* She bent over the tray, swirling the crust of crumbled leaves so that the mixture stayed level as it dried out- it had to heat evenly, so it would be dried, but not burnt or cooked. If it dried just right, it would soak up the reagent to replace the moisture it had lost. But too dried, it would char, and be too far gone to absorb the tincture properly.

*Ding* Jilliana dug the miniature rake into the mix and stirred gently, trying to keep the mix level as the moisture cooked out- she tuned out the chimes of the clock almost completely. There was enough time to finish this, and then get ready for her appointment. The square wasn't too far away from her uncle's shop, not if you knew the right ways- which she did. And besides, the boy, that monk, seemed patient enough. She hoped that she could help him...

*Ding* She had, officially, left the priesthood months ago. But for some reason, they hadn't removed her access privileges to most of the library resources. Most likely, it was just an oversight- that sort of paperwork could be lost for years within the bureaucratic labyrinth of the Maker's church- in some cases such a detail could really be forgotten entirely. Jilliana wasn't sure that was the case here, though. She HAD shown an aptitude for certain areas of research- they might have retained her access in hopes that she would continue those studies, and produce something useful, while THEY were watching, instead of out in the field, as it were. And, of course, some of her old instructors were fond of her, and might have let her keep that access, because they knew of her interests- and they still hoped she might come back to the fold; even within the Church, there were few enough who could channel the Maker's blessings. They wouldn't cast her aside so easily- or rather, they wouldn't let her escape so easily; the Church was remarkably patient...

OOC: More to come- just wanted to get something up while I had a chance...

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Fossice/Central Market/Tavern
Late morning
Round 0

“Thank you,” Magdalena told the tavern keeper as he set an ale and a stew down in front of her. She sipped her drink, keeping an eye on the magic user beside her.

Magdalena spilled a bit of ale on her as she was jolted by the thunderbolt outside. she looked to the windows to see clear sky and shifted her position. Her cloak opened a bit, allowing a glimpse of the holy symbol on her chest.

[sblock=OOC]She isn’t trying to be stealthy or anything, just discreet, so no reason he couldn’t catch something, so not going to roll.[/sblock]

The blonde girl left the bar and her place was taken by a sailor. Magdalena was about to move to investigate the thunderclap when the sailor said something about the Tower. She hesitated, eavesdropping a bit on the sailor.

What had happened at the Tower? And why was she not being sent to investigate?

Magdalena lost track of the blonde. Where had she gone?

The raven-haired warrior turned back to the magic user, finding him watching her. She gave him an impassive look, not avoiding eye contact. If he was licensed, he had nothing to fear from her. If he wasn’t...she studied him for any signs of deception.

Insight: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9

Her gaze was interrupted by the return of the blonde woman. Magdalena turned her scrutiny to the girl. Her clothes didn’t mark her as nobility, like the woman she was looking for. She wished Romeo had given her more details to work with.

Insight: 1D20+2 = [13]+2 = 15

Magdalena turned back to her meal, tasting the soup. It was actually quite good. She tossed back her raven hair out of the way and decided to take a risk.

“Arcata…” She said her quarry’s name, loud enough to be heard nearby, though quietly, to see how the girl would react.

[sblock=Ministats]
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 28/28 HD: 3/3d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 15/15
Channel Divinity (1/R)
Abjure Enemy
Vow of Enmity
Prepared Spells:
1st: (Bane, Hunter’s Mark), Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Shield of Faith

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 3/3
[/sblock]

tglassy

Adventurer
Nicolo looked up at the paladin upon hearing his friend's name, having recognized her holy symbol. Why would a paladin of the Church know Arcata's name? He had seen how she had been watching him, but that was for obvious reasons. He had been using magic in the bar. Perhaps not his smartest move, but he had his papers in order. Is Arcata mixed up with the church somehow? If so, why didn't she tell him? He still had a few contacts in that world, after all.

Of course, if she wasn't going to tell him, he wasn't going to ask. It was her business. But he silently promised that he would help her, whatever her problems were. He owed her that much.

Shayuri

First Post
"Nicolo, I...it would only be for a day," Arcata said softly, gratefully. "I won't impose. I..."

Caught by surprise when a stranger uttered her name, she looked across at the woman who'd spoken it.

Oh no.

She shouldn't have looked! It was too late to take it back now. Her mouth dried and her throat clenched as she said to Nicolo, trying to stay 'casual,' "On second thought...I'll get a place of my own. I...I should take my leave. Good bye."

With an acutely self-conscious gait...trying to move quickly, but not TOO quickly, and succeeding somehow at NEITHER...Arcata went to the door of the tavern and quickly, surreptitiously looked back at the bar. At Nicolo...at the mysterious woman.

Please just let me go, she inwardly begged both of them, for different reasons.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases