Pathfinder 1E Any vetetan PF players give the Beginner Box a try?

vivsavage

Explorer
When I got the Beginner Box, I was very impressed (as I mentioned in an earlier post). I liked how it boiled down PF to an "essentials" version and, in many ways, I would love to see an "expert" set as a companion, expanding the game to level 10 and adding 3 or 4 classes. Have any of you played the Beginner Box game and enjoyed it?

JeffB

Legend
I used it for nearly 2 years with the Kid's group.

Frankly, I prefer it far more than the full game. Its the best "basic set" since Moldvay. For years over on Paizo many of us begged for an Expert set and a Sandpoint box. The Paizo folks have stated neither is going to happen. They came out with the transitions booklet , but IMO, the jump from the BB to the full game is ridiculous. My kids group (12-13 year olds at the time) quickly decided "no way, too many rules,everything takes too long". Though we don't play so regularly these days, at 17/18 yo now, they still cannot be bothered with PF.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Sure, I used it for 6 months teaching my nephews to play Beginner Box Pathfinder. Though I only did all the cartography for it, I did get to read Legendary Games Trail of the Apprentice Beginner Box Adventure Path (5 levels of course). So it kind of felt like playing in it. Of course I need the adventure text as well as the author's rough draft maps when creating maps, but sometimes I need to read specific sections over and over to get the author's intent correct in creating the perfect maps for it - so I really delved into the nitty-gritty of that product. As with JeffB, my nephews are 17, and one a freshman in college, so they don't play much anymore.

Remove ads