Quickly rate Homeward Bound - simple rules for player-owned base

DMG

Game system(s): Dungeons and Dragons, adaptable,
Genre: Rules supplement,

Mon 19 December 2016
Janek Sielicki,
PDF (24 pages)
$5.99 | Buy this product

This product is not yet ranked. It will be ranked when it has 10 or more reviews.

94% HIT

Rated by 4 readers at 94% who deem this a HIT. A recommended purchase. However, more ratings are needed to be sure.
Read all 4 reviews | Write Your Own
There are 2 external reviews of this product with a combined rating of 100%. Read these reviews.

There comes a time in the lives of Player Characters when they start wondering about the point of adventuring and accumulating wealth and experience. Of course, some mercenary types do so for the sake of doing so, entering the vicious circle of killing monsters only so they can kill more powerful monsters and eventually die a horrible deathin a forgotten tomb, their bodies eventually looted by some other adventurers. Yet other players want their alter egos to actually achieve something in their lives, have a place to return to between adventures, something to protect and care about. A home.

Inside you will find:

-a customizable description of such a home for players: The Sleeping Manor
-over 15 possible upgrades to the house that provide in-game benefits
-a number of locations surrounding the Manor
-list of 40 random events that occur when PCs are away, adventuring
-ideas for an over-arching plot involving the Manor, the PCs and their evil neighbor
-a hand-drawn map of the area

There are also rules for earning money (the PCs are landlords after all), and everything is streamlined to fit into any campaign. House upgrades provide additional in-game bonuses, for example:
After an adventure the PCs return home, they check how much money it earned while they were away, what random events occured etc. Moreover, they can invest in the house and build an upgrade, which then provides a tangible bonus: for example they start their next adventure with 5 temporary hit points, or automatically make their first death saving throw.

If your group takes a real shine to their house, there are several neighboring locations described as well as a possible Antagonist - an evil Baron (or is he really?) - which can start an ongoing sub-campaign.

Base-building elements are present in most of today's video-game RPGs and players want them in their pen and paper campaigns as well - with this cheap book a DM can introduce such elements with ease and seamlessly merge them with an existing or planned campaign.
+ Log in or register to post

4 out of 5 rating for Homeward Bound - simple rules for player-owned base

This nice piece of work is formally related to the Forgotten Realms, but it is pretty easy to use with a bit any ruleset and with any setting leaning to fantasy or steampunk. Its best point is its adaptability: you can use all the content in this book and just drop it in your campaign or you can use only parts of it or a tailor-made reduction.

This module is dedicated to characters' homes: how to acquire them, how to make them realistic, how to build them up making them interesting (with some collaboration from the players as well), how to make them meaningful for the characters (and not just a tick box indicating that you know where to go when you are not off adventuring), how to improve them and how to make a profit out of them, how to make the players interested in coming back to their homes routinely, between an adventure and the other, how you can populate the surrounding of the heroes' manor with good and bad neighbours, with mysterious neoighbours, with markets, temples, legends, places to visit and sources of informations...
    Finally, this mass of information, characters and locations all subtly interrelated may become so big that it may turn into a proper campaign that can be run as the main campaign or may become an "on-and-off" secondary campaign that can become your focus when you are not away adventuring.

Overall a nice and well-crafted support for all DMs, with plenty of nice ideas ready to be dropped into about any campaign. It is interesting to see how proposals are quite realistic and well-thought: everything makes sense.
    I also appreciated how a fair share of the images are actual photos from real manors and landscapes, giving an even better feeling of realism.
    XP Sithikurro gave XP for this post

5 out of 5 rating for Homeward Bound - simple rules for player-owned base

The rules work, the idea works - the players want to return, upgrade and defend their home - good stuff!

In my campaigns that I have played in or have Dungeon (Game) Mastered myself, the party always seems to be aloof, whether it be figuring out a mystery, or burying an axe in some ancient undead creature risen back from the grave. But seldom, does it ever seem like there is down time or a place that our characters can truly have pride in calling home or protecting. This always seemed to be a gap and a missing piece of my games. So when I read through Homeward Bound, it made so much sense to incorporate these rules with ease into my upcoming campaign.

This brings a whole new element for your characters that may make the group want to check in on their new found home. And this is a DMs dream to already have stuff so easily built in to pull from.

I did a full review of this on my blog. If you want to get more in depth info on it, go to https://auricanslair.wordpress.com/2...omeward-bound/
    XP Sithikurro gave XP for this post

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 26 Reviews
    ShadowrunOSRICD&DPathfinder13th AgeI Defended The Walls!

Block biotech66

Friend+

TL; DR-Finally a use for money! 94%

+ Log in or register to post