Three Years in the Making...

C4

Explorer
Finally learned how to create fillable PDFs, and then made a fillable character sheet, plus a few pregens!

The only downside is that the background isn't cooperating, so I only have it with the brown background. :/

Last edited:

C4

Explorer
C4, will you be showcasing more of your ideas? I'm especiall curious about your new tiers. I was developing things along that way: from WFRPG-style peon, to generic adventurer, to full-fledged adventurer (with a class), to recognized hero, to parangon (who can design new powers), to leader, to off-screen legend.
As I playtest, yeah!

I have a few ideas about my legendary and epic tiers, but not much solid. Legendary options (legendary prestiges) are about leadership, unique twists, and specialization (I'm using some of D&D's classic classes as inspiration). Epic options (epic ideals) are about a character's path toward godhood (think divine portfolios).

That's the plan, at least. ;)

Rolenet

Explorer
A few questions... I've had time to read only two docs so far.

A) What prompted you to add types to penalties?

B) I'm surprised that you keep the Long Rest as keyed on days thing. Is it your intention that players can actually enjoy a LR every night regardless of the day's content?

C) I gather you view this as a private project for your gaming table?

I WILL read the rest and give feedback. This looks interesting!

Rolenet

Explorer
I like the Str-based hp, and the 4 point state-scale, among other things. Right now, I haven't checked the class really, but I don't really figure the new power structure (Greater powers etc..)

D) There seems to be some inconsistency in your use of Dauntless or Legendary.

E) The condition tracks are a great idea. However, this leads to a multiplication of conditions which can be very hard to use in-game. E.g. "I'M enchanted... can I use a Greater Attack?". Things like the Kneeling condition or the five degrees of blindnes are another example. At the very least, have you a quick visual aid to help the players? E.g. stacking cards?
As a Dwarf Fortress aficionado, I give +1 to the Toady condition, though.

F) I don't quite understand the choice to change many of the official game terms. E.g. Healing Surge to Vitality Surge. I get the possible copyright issue, but considering many sections are directly lifted from D&D books, why bother? Clearly, you couldn't publish it as-is?

F) Flanking. Why this change?

G) Teleport. You should specify whether a creature can be teleported in the air.

H) Trip/Disarm. It heavily depends on whether you get Enh bonus on such attacks. If not, they quickly become useless. If yes, they can be too powerful, e.g. against a skirmisher or flyer? (Yeah, I've GMed for a trip/disarm fighter in PF. Disheartening)

I) Charges. I don't get the Lunge thing.

J) Coup de grace. If there's any power in PoL that knocks unconscious, change it to Basic attacks or fear the critical!

K) If a grappled enemy is not immobilized, how does that work??

L) Implements as [W] weapons. That's an interesting idea! In fact makes one wonder why it isn't the original rules!

M) Weapons. INteresting way to rebalance the greatsword. I'm really not convinced either by the d14, but hey. I mean, 2d6 would still do the trick.

N) Taking 20. That takes the fun of rolling away. I know it's a tried-and-true 3.5 thing, but I never ever missed it.

O) Endurance. Do you really mean to measure temperature to 5C?

P) Combat intimidate. Intersting, but the original use of this is to end the combat sooner. An enemy with -15 damage has still to be disposed of, and the combat will get quite boring....

Q) Your pre-gen don't seem to feature powers?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am wondering if I should make some of the martial controller design ideas I have been running through with C4 in mind

I have always liked how loyal your ideas were to 4e balance and design paradigms

Running in to imbalances like the blatant boost essentials gave to wizards makes me gringe... 5e would probably give me hives... just guessing ;)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've often gone back and played older games - RQII, AD&D or 1st ed Gamma World, particularly. I called it 'paleo-gaming.' I guess I peaked doing that at about 2/year about 12 years ago, I want to say. Then, a few years later, the OSR thing got rolling...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I've often gone back and played older games - RQII, AD&D or 1st ed Gamma World, particularly. I called it 'paleo-gaming.' I guess I peaked doing that at about 2/year about 12 years ago, I want to say. Then, a few years later, the OSR thing got rolling...

I might be able to paleo-game an old RQII of some sort (Stormbringer anyone), but I am not promising, teehee.

I noticed looking at a recent GURPS with my son who is playing it, they cleaned up some of its most abuseable imbalances.

Last edited:

Rolenet

Explorer

Old-school--old-school roleplaying. Two kinds of awesome. (and I'm one kind of derailing right now)

Remove ads