Does anyone remember Central Casting?

Bluemoon

First Post
It must have been anywhere from 10 to 15 years ago when I first discovered it and I don't remember who made this product or if the publisher is still in business, but Central Casting was a wonderful book.

It was sort of a character history/background generator meant to be used with any fantasy RPG. I think they also had one for science fiction RPGs.

By the use of die rolls, you created an entire background/history for your first level character before he had even gone on his first adventure.

It had dozens upon dozens of tables to roll for everything from place/date of birth, family, friends, romances, education, social standing, military service, culture, gods worshipped, personality, to a multitude of other choices/aspects for the history/background of your character. That's just the tip of the iceberg, there were so many choices and tables.

It was modular and you could take or leave what you wanted or roll again. Almost every choice gave your character some benefit/favor or some drawback/flaw.

I think it was between 96 to 128 pages long and must have had close to a hundred or more different tables. It was wonderful. I loved it. I and my players spend a couple of hours rolling dice to create each of our characters.

By the time you were finished you felt that your character must have reached 9th level already and qualified for gaining his own stronglhold, while in truth you were still 1st level and had not even started adventuring yet!

Of course it could be abused by re-rolling too often and keeping only game-mechanic benefits while keeping only role-playing drawbacks and sometimes we certainly took advantage of it but that was part of the fun.

For those of us who enjoy the process of making a character as much as role-playing the character, Central Casting was a wet-dream.

Doesn anyone remember this product? Is there anything like it on the market now? I think that the The Book of Distinctions & Drawbacks from Cryptosnark Games is the closest I have found to it but that's a more character favor/flaw book than a character background/history generator like Central Casting was.

DWARF

First Post
Hero Builder's guidebook has about 10 pages of tables like that, but it doesn't sound nearly as complex as what you're looking for.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Yes, I remember it. There were three of them, at least. One for fantasy and one for science-fiction games, then a bit later on one that was for modern/horror/superhero games.

It was a pretty darn good product, just full of charts and tables and idea mechanics just waiting to be used. It was adjustable to a number of games, and had suggestions on how to interprete certain results for different systems.

The first one, for fantasy, is still the best and most useful. The other two were mostly duplication save in certain specifics such as job tables and the like.

I used them up to a point. Usually I used a few tables to determine family histories or to give a player a few ideas to play with. (OK, and it seems you have an identical twin brother. Cool. -- Hey, I can use that....)

The Modern one was... well, there was some odd little change between the second and third book and the preface declared that the Modern book would be the 'op-ed' of gaming and serve to point up the moral decay of modern times. Thus we got stuff like a timeline which has the line 'Congress accelerates moral decay of US' by passing such and such law, and more. Nothing more in the series was done to my knowledge.

The Modern one did have some additional features that prevented it from being such a direct copy of the fantasy book with the specifics changed. I'll try to locate my copy and give specifics.

Bluemoon

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Yes, I remember it. There were three of them, at least. One for fantasy and one for science-fiction games, then a bit later on one that was for modern/horror/superhero games.

Can you imagine how cool it would have been had WotC created a Central Casting type book specifically tailored to 3rd with the quality presentation of Hero Builder's Handbook? Man, I bet that would sell.

By the way, what in the name of all that's unholy in the Nine Hells does your signature line mean?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hilariously funny book. I remember rolling once that I'd been kidnapped by intelligent owls and raise in the Plane of Owls, or something.

Great fun. Wouldn't use it for a serious campaign in a million years, but great fun.

Daniel

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Waaaay OT

Bluemoon said:
By the way, what in the name of all that's unholy in the Nine Hells does your signature line mean?

I keep forgetting to change it. At the time I started using signature lines there was a rash of terrible grammar abuses that even I caught. I am far from the world's best writer and I've certainly made my share of mistakes. I am the king of the 'run on' sentence, creative comma use and comma splices even in an informal forum such as this. Those are things I have to constantly watch in my own writing (especially technical work and the stuff I submit). Every so often I have to go back and look at Elements of Style just to make sure I'm still writing in English :)

The sig itself is a reminder on the correct use of 'Its' and the contraction for 'It is'. I'm thinking of using 'They're over there in their car.' :) At least it's short, informative, and non-graphical.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Central Casting was a Blade product put out by Task Force Games. Other Blade products were produced by Flying Buffalo Inc. I've been trying for several years to convince FBI to get the rights and publish the Central Casting books, but so far no luck. Maybe if a few more people asked?

Remove ads