Highest DPR at Level 1?

RulesJD

First Post
*Moderator edit*
Please don't post belligerently or attack other users.

-Darkness,
EN World moderator

Wow, that might be the most condescending answer I've seen on this sub-forum to-date. Congrats on setting the bar.

Yeah, obviously. It'll also depend on how the dice roll, who the DM is, and a number of other factors too. That's why it's called average.

Mostly because it's an interesting thought exercise, and I thought it'd be fun to play. Partly because I find some T1 modules to take a disproportionately long amount of time to get through, so the idea of doing my part to help end combats more quickly (even when I'm the only L1 player at the table) appeals to me, even though I realize it'd only make a tiny amount of difference.

If this topic annoys you so much, don't feel like you have to respond further. Thanks.

You obviously haven't played much AL. The max average build will depend on whether you're playing Season 1/2/5, Season 3, or Season 4 because the enemies will be vastly different.

You also obviously aren't doing this as a "thought experiment" so you can stop being disingenuous about that. If it really was just a "thought experiment" then http://lmgtfy.com/?q=d&d+5e+highest+1st+level+damage+build

Tada.

Oh and combat takes a while at T1 because people are still learning their characters. You're precisely the type of player I love having at my tables because the schadenfreude is so good when you roll up without caring about the other players at the table. I love me some power gaming. I do it quite often. But when it comes at the expense of other players learning the game, oh it is so much fun to see your zero thought involved build you didn't even come up with get absolutely wrecked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zene

First Post
You obviously haven't played much AL. The max average build will depend on whether you're playing Season 1/2/5, Season 3, or Season 4 because the enemies will be vastly different.

You also obviously aren't doing this as a "thought experiment" so you can stop being disingenuous about that. If it really was just a "thought experiment" then http://lmgtfy.com/?q=d&d+5e+highest+1st+level+damage+build

Tada.

Oh and combat takes a while at T1 because people are still learning their characters. You're precisely the type of player I love having at my tables because the schadenfreude is so good when you roll up without caring about the other players at the table. I love me some power gaming. I do it quite often. But when it comes at the expense of other players learning the game, oh it is so much fun to see your zero thought involved build you didn't even come up with get absolutely wrecked.

You sound like a great DM, hopefully I'll get to play in one of your games one day.

And thanks for the google link. I guess you didn't notice that when you type that search string, no one's actually discussed this particular question? Results are all for max DPR overall. On the plus side, you now have found a bunch more "disingenuous" threads to impotently rage-troll. It's gonna be a busy day for you! Have fun!

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
There are a lot of interesting feelings in this thread.

I have to agree on the Barbarian. Even while not raging he has respectable DPR. It would mostly depend on whether the game strictly adheres to the encounter per day suggested by WotC or not. Would also depend on the manner of the encounters. While it is not hard to keep your rage up generally, a bad encounter or evil DM can put a stop to it.

Edit:

PLUS! The defensive benefits of the class. Not only are you capable of dishing out that hurt, but you can take a good deal of damage as your desperate victims try to stop you.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
VHuman Barbarian w/Polearm Master 16 Str, raging.
65% accuracy.
2 attacks at 1d10+5 and 1d4+5.
DPR: 11.7

Winner, ladies and gentlemen

Looks good but can't call a winner yet. OP said "Also assume short rests every 1-2 fights, and long rests every 4-ish fights." This isn't DPR in a single fight.

So we need to consider two raging and two non-raging fights a day. I'd assume Reckless only when raging but that's just me.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Here's a fun variant on the polearm master:

Human(v) Druid, 16 Wis, Polearm Master, Staff, Shillelagh. You drop from d10 to d8 though you are only using 1 hand (yes, staff is a 1h weapon) otherwise the same everything else, so it's only .65 DPR behind (1 point of damage on the main blow, the back end is the same, time 65% chance to hit). And you can use a shield.

But you set yourself up for Druid (Moon) 2 who is incredibly survivable and adaptable at the lower levels of play.

Looks good but can't call a winner yet. OP said "Also assume short rests every 1-2 fights, and long rests every 4-ish fights." This isn't DPR in a single fight.

So we need to consider two raging and two non-raging fights a day. I'd assume Reckless only when raging but that's just me.

The barbarian doesn't have Reckless Attack at 1st level. In any case, with four fights a day, the DPR is basically a wash between Rage for two of them and GWFing for all four. The barbarian will do a little more damage in the Rage fights, and a little less in the non-Rage fights. I'd probably give an edge to the barbarian since you could usually Rage during the tougher of the two fights.

But that's only against the fighter Polearm Master. The barbarian will still do less DPR across four fights compared to the wizard Sharpshooter and rogue Dual Wielder. It's a tiny difference, though. I can't imagine anyone choosing a character based on half a point of DPR or whatever at 1st level.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
While it's not directly DPR, I'd like to point out that the Barbarian is most likely to survive the frontline, which is very important, if you want to go melee.

sgryphon

Villager
Assuming baseline 65% hit chance:

Variant Human Wizard, Dex 16, Sharpshooter, light crossbow, owl familiar for advantage: 11.63 DPR
Variant Human Rogue, Dex 16, Dual Wielder, rapiers: 11.49 DPR
Variant Human Fighter, Str 16, Polearm Master, GWF style: 10.41 DPR

Of course, that is only for the individual characters.

As an adventuring group, it is more effective for the Wizard to instruct their familiar to use the Help action to give advantage to the Rogue or Fighter than to themselves. Although attack bonuses will probably be the same, the total party DPR will increase as gain from Advantage on the higher damage attack will be more than that lost on the Wizard's crossbow attack.

So, should the increase in party DPR be counted towards the Wizard or the other character; i.e. the Wizards _contribution to total party DPR_ can be higher by working as a team!

Of course, that is only for the individual characters.

True, but only because that's what the OP was asking for. :)

Actually yeah, why's the dual wielding Rogue got Dual Wielder over Ritual Caster?

Or Magic Initiate -- it's a fair point. Magic Initiate grants cantrips, which will improve DPR down the road, but he can only cast find familiar once per day. In any case, it looks like the Ritual Caster rogue weighs in at 12.1 DPR when the owl is granting advantage and 10 DPR when it's not, versus the Dual Wielder at 11.49 on every attack. Unlike the wizard, he doesn't have any AoE spells to make up for those owlless (that's a word) attacks. On the other hand, the owl can also grant the bump on ranged attacks, whereas Dual Wielder cannot. I think it'll be better.

Remove ads