What Edition to use 7.5

Which Edition does David Bowie justice?

• Zero Edition (red box, white box, etc.)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1st Edition

• 2nd Edition

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 3rd, 3.X, Pathfinder

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 4th Edition

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • D&D Next

On the last episode of What Edition to use, I'd ask what edition best captured the feeling of the artist Prince. I think 2nd Edition won that because Planescape fits Prince best. However, that topic was a casualty of the great time paradox of 2016. Meaning I can't check it, and I like checking back on these now and again. Sadly, Prince wasn't the only celebrity taken from us in 2016.

So like last time, your DM wants to run a campaign that is a tribute to a great artist. The artist this time is the iconic David Bowie. Which edition of D&D can best capture his brilliance? Is it 2nd Edition's Planescape or is there another edition that can do it better? I don't know so you tell me!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think of all the editions, 3.X is probably best, if for no other reason than the sheer number of Cat People.

Of course, D&D isn't really the system for Bowie. Yeah you should use HERO. Forever and ever.

Bowie’s mercurial, changing art makes this a tough one. Which era to go with? With its easy of multiclassing, I feel like 3e or 5e could fit that theme. Pathfinder also has a gonzo kitchen sink feel that could work. 4e is right out, since the core books don’t allow you to play a Laughing Gnome.

But what about, say, the Outside era? Does that point to Shadowrun or Cyberpunk 2020? As far as settings go, it’d have to be Spelljammer…because there’s a starman, waiting in the sky.

Celebrim

Legend
Which David Bowie?

David Bowie's character Jareth in 'Labyrinth' directly inspired my 1e era NPC 'Prince of Barghests', a 14+14 HD monster said to be the son of Maglubiyet, that could use its spell abilities 3 times daily and could shape change into any animal or humanoid form. Ok, remember, I started DMing when I was like 12, but I still really think it works well as an NPC and the ability charm, dimension door, shapechange and so forth work really well for a Fairy Tale villain.

But I think David Bowie is best suited to a Spelljammer type campaign, which I'd probably run with 3e rules and possibly supplement with something like Dragonstar.

aramis erak

Legend
On the last episode of What Edition to use, I'd ask what edition best captured the feeling of the artist Prince. I think 2nd Edition won that because Planescape fits Prince best. However, that topic was a casualty of the great time paradox of 2016. Meaning I can't check it, and I like checking back on these now and again. Sadly, Prince wasn't the only celebrity taken from us in 2016.

So like last time, your DM wants to run a campaign that is a tribute to a great artist. The artist this time is the iconic David Bowie. Which edition of D&D can best capture his brilliance? Is it 2nd Edition's Planescape or is there another edition that can do it better? I don't know so you tell me!

No edition of D&D does justice to Bowie.

No, for Bowie, you need Traveller. Classic Traveller. It's quirky, and a space-faring setting, with a zillion different options...

Remove ads