D&D 3E/3.5 3E D&D Knife Thrower: How do you build it?

Centaur

First Post
Definitly aim for the shot on the run and the spring attack feats along with the prerequisites for same. Don't forget to add early on a pair of Boots of Sriding & Springing as this will make those movement feats much more dramatic.

Also, I think a Fighter/Rouge is the best route to take. Take one level of rouge first and load up on skills such as tumble, jump and climb. Then go for a level of fighter.

Thereafter, take 1 level of rouge for every two fighter levels. Should work out to be quite the dynamo.

tensen

First Post
drnuncheon said:

I'd go something like this:

Human Rog1 - Point-Blank Shot, Rapid Shot.
Rog1/Ftr1 - Quick-Draw
Rog2/Ftr1 - Precise Shot
Rog2/Ftr2 - Weapon Finesse

I would say your order of priority would want the Quick-draw before the Rapid Shot... such that you can have that blade in your hand to throw with the Rapid Shot. Otherwise you can throw really fast, but probably won't have the extra weapon available to throw.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
If you really only want to throw knives, then you'll want to pick up Precise Shot quickly and you'll want to stick to just fighter levels (for the feats and BAB).

If you want to mix in rogue levels, then you can wait on Precise Shot because if a foe is in melee, you'll want to flank that foe for sneak attack damage, not throw knives at him.

Pure knife thrower:
Human
Ftr 1: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Quickdraw
Ftr 2: Precise Shot
Ftr 3: Far Shot, Dodge
Ftr 4: Weapon Specialization: Dagger
Ftr 5:
Ftr 6: Mobility, Shot on the Run

Now what? I guess you could try for deepwood sniper.

Ftr 8: Weapon Focus: any bow or crossbow (prereq for deepwood sniper)
Deepwood sniper 1 (I can't remember if it specifies that the special abilities are bow-specific, or if it just says "ranged attack").

If you wanted to be a sneaky knife fighter, one that sometimes mixes it up in melee, then I'd go with a Rogue level first, maxing out Tumble, Bluff (for feinting in combat), pick pocket (so you can conceal knives), spot.

Then I'd go with Fighter, to get those extra feats. Skill points into jump (go for synergy bonus to Tumble), maybe craft: weapon for flavor.

Sneaky knife fighter
Human
Rog 1: Point Blank Shot, Quickdraw (sneak 1d6)
Ftr 1: Rapid shot
Ftr 2: Precise shot, far shot
Rog 2: (evasion)
Rog 3: (sneak attack 2d6, uncanny dodge)

After this you could go Fighter (for Weapon Spec), Rogue (more sneak attack), or Ranger (spells, track, skills, more ranged feats. Whatever class you chose, definitely pick up Two Weapon Fighting at 6th level so you can get an extra sneak attack when you flank in melee.

-z

Will

First Post
I agree with much of what's been said so far.. so I'll only point out that one big problem you'll face is in weapon enchantments. Even 'returning' is a bit limited as the weapon returns only just before your next round.

If I were DMing, I'd be generous about having arrow-type enchantments apply to thrown weapons (but only when thrown).

Sejs

First Post
Human Rogue 2, Ranger 2, Fighter 6, Duelist 10.

Rogue 1: +1d6 Sneak Attack, boatload of skill points.
-Feats(char, race): Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (Dagger)
Rogue 2: Evasion
Ranger 1: Ambidexterity/Two-Weapon Fighting in Lgt Armor, Tracking, Favored Enemy +1
-Feats(char): Quickdraw
Ranger 2: the satisfaction that you're not taking just one level of ranger.
Fighter 1: bonus feat
-Feats(fgtr): Dodge
Fighter 2: bonus feat
-Feats(char, fgtr): Precise Shot, Mobility
Fighter 3: (nothing)
Fighter 4: bonus feat
-Feats(fgtr): Weapon Specilization (Dagger)
Fighter 5: (nothing)
-Feats(char): Improved Critical (Dagger)
Fighter 6: bonus feat
-Feats(fgtr): Rapid Shot

Then go Duelist for your remaining 10 levels. Remember, a dagger is a one-handed piercing weapon, so it qualifies for all the Duelist special abilities. You can wear armor or not at the character's discresion, but if you do so you lose out on the Canny Defense (int bonus to Ac) and Grace (+2 competance bonus to Ref saves) abilities. Keep an eye out for feats like Expertise, Shot on the Run, Far Shot, etc.

I'd go with a Halfling. Halflings get a racial bonus to dex, thrown weapons, and a +1 attack bonus thanks to size, meaning that compared to a human the halfline has +3 to attacks. While being one feat behind will hurt compared to the human with a Feat heavy build like the knife thrower, this +3 to attack should more then compensate.

If you take a level of fighter, then upgrade to Throwing Axes or Light Hammers, and get a large shield. You'll almost never get hit in combat, and for extra fun pick up a Ring of Blinking and make all your attacks sneak attacks.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Bear in mind that a barbarian's rage will add extra damage to thrown weapons.

Also consider the possibility of a bard - again his music adds extra to the damage of thrown weapons.

If you're going for a flat-out powerful character, then the key is to stack up non-weapon dependant bonuses as quickly as possible.

I'd also say that far shot is a must for ANY thrown weapon character, given that it DOUBLES your range.

As to the problem of running out of weapons... consider an unseen servant - tasked with "return my thrown weapons to me" he's much, much cheaper than enchanting said weapons to return. This is something else which points towards bard, who gets the spell at first level.

Also Quicker than the eye is vital if you want to get a lot of ranged sneak attacks.

Last edited:

Rahkan

First Post
This PrC concentrates on knife throwing, its a pretty neat class if I do say so myself. Its not really concentrating on moving around, like some of these guys reccommend. My philosophy is that if you're going to be throwing knives, there's really no reason to move. It might be a little on the overpowered side, especially the Draw! ability, but I can send you the most balanced version if you're interested.

The Flurry of Blades

PJ Mason

First Post
Paka said:
I was wondering how one would build a character whose speciality is knife-throwing?

Feats? Class? Ideas?

Is there a book with a feat that might work well?

Thanks.

I've been trying to make the knife-fighter/thrower that could actually scare people in D&D for many years. 3E makes it a possibly. Besides the Pointblank and rapid shot feat, i would add Weapon specialization as the real problem you will have is the getting enough damage to be noticed with the measly D4. There are a bunch of mostly throwing feats that helped tremedously in a recent Dragon mag. The best one for pure killing was the Dead Eye feat. It required BAB +1, Pointblank, and weapon focus and let you add your dex as damage within 30 feet with the weapon you are focused in. Thank god. It was Issue #304 and this feat was on page 84. There are a lot of cool ranged/throwing feats in this article by Clifford Horowitz. They were converted from Asheron's Call 2, a pc game i think.

The whole issue was very cool, btw.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases