Sins of Our Fathers - 2/10 - Final Update

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
A Feast of Elves

Amelyssan stared at the cavern wall, thin lips pressed tightly together. John strolled forward, rapier in hand, and studied the featureless wall for but a moment before addressing the elf. “You have the look of one who’s found a beetle in his broth.”

Amelyssan scowled. “A minor dweomer - little more than a cantrip, actually.” He waved dismissively at the wall. “An arcane mouth was triggered to shout should the stone lid be removed.”

“That minor dweomer caused quite a stir, eh?” John looked pointedly at Baden.

Baden, if he noticed, gave no indication. The Axemarch dwarf toed the corpse at his feet before giving a cursory glance toward the other prostrate bodies. “This one here is dwem. As are the others.” The dark dwarves were now nothing more than skeletal remains encased in archaic ringmail. Yet each of them still possessed flowing, bone-white beards. It was an odd sight.

Vath’s blistered brow hung over his eyes. “I have never seen dwem. Are their beards always so white?”

“Not after feasting on prawns smothered with honey-sauce, I’d wager.” John chuckled softly, caught the half-troll’s flat stare, and nodded. “Dwem have skin the color of pitch and beards white as driven snow. Ugly buggers, mostly.”

Raylin knelt to the ground and ran his fingers along the floor. “Two died here, but those other two,” Raylin nodded to the pair near Baden’s boots, “were slain somewhere down that passageway. Then dragged to this spot.”

Vath breathed through his nose - still no scent, save that of stone. The half-troll turned from his companions and allowed his darkvision to penetrate the lone corridor leading further into blackness.

“How did they die, clansman?” Amelyssan looked from the skeletons to the ranger.

Raylin shrugged. “Violently.” He stood. “It appears they were surprised. All of them were killed from behind. Look to the skulls of those two without helms. See those holes? I am thinking a pick, perhaps a narrow spear, was responsible for such handiwork.”

Kellus bent downward and lifted a shovel from amidst a clutter of rocks against the hewn wall. There were many digging utensils scattered about – picks, chisels, more shovels. The Rhelmsman studied the shovel’s blade before replacing it – quietly – upon the floor.

Baden leaned upon his axe. “This chamber is thousands of years old, and formed naturally; them dwem but reworked it some, as they did the cleft leading from the wyvern’s ledge. I imagine that entry tunnel heads somewhat straight forward, into the mountain, between two strata. The walls on our left are hewn, and a different color than those to our right. Likewise, the dwem must have-”

John coughed. “And this is important…why?”

Baden paused, unruffled. “There are mysteries here. Dwem bury their dead in their own communities, nestled in the darker folds of Deepearth. I have no idea why they would entomb one of their own up here, upon this peak. It takes time to shape the rock as they have done.”

John frowned. “Mayhaps this Borbidon Elfkiller was an outcast? Whoever buried him may have wished to prevent his tomb from being plundered – even by his own kind.”

Amelyssan favored Baden with a look. “The sand wizards of the Aradeeti, and the worshippers of the Dead God within the Genn Patriarchy, oft-times murder those who fashion their tombs so that secrets are not revealed. I am thinking these dark dwarves were those who must have carved this crypt – if crypt it is – and then were killed because of it.”

“A good theory,” John agreed. “Let us now search for proof.”

The party made their way deeper into the mountain fastness of Borbidon’s tomb with excruciating caution – like “a gaggle of chaste women through a feasting hall of drunken minstrels,” as John so aptly opined. Nearly an hour passed as they rummaged through an old storeroom and thoroughly searched a pocket within the stone that must have once served as a dining area. A stone table was still set with empty copper plates and pewter mugs.

In all, the complex thus far consisted of but three rooms – dinning area, storeroom, and the entrance chamber containing the dwem skeletons. Of horrors and treasure there were none. The morning was turning out to be unremarkable and somewhat anticlimactic. Unremarkable, that is, until Amelyssan’s elven perception noted the outline of a stone door made to look like the cavern wall.

Baden studied the portal intently after Amelyssan declared no magic was evident. The dwarf reached out a hand and pushed. It pivoted open easily. Beyond was another corridor – still of roughly worked stone – which ended at yet another door, this one of wood.

The party assembled around the newly discovered threshold, faces ruddy in the light of Kellus’ torch – for the priest had been forced to switch to more mundane illumination after exhausting his orisons early in their exploration. The door before them was but four feet high and three wide, the wood in amazing condition considering its age and reinforced with iron to prevent warping. There was an iron ring, no keyhole, and nary a seam around its perimeter. In all, Baden voiced, the door exhibited master craftsmanship.

“There is no magic here, either,” Amelyssan offered. “Here, step away. If the portal is unbarred and unlocked, I may be able to open it from a distance.”

Baden and Kellus retreated toward the mage. John slipped his rapier within his belt and readied his crossbow. Amelyssan produced a tiny brass key from a pouch at his belt and waved it toward the door as he murmured. The iron rung jerked outward from the elf’s arcane touch and the door swung open with a slight groan of protest.

Click. Hissing filled the air as an umber fume filtered through a heretofore-unseen crack in the ceiling.

“Trap!” Raylin spat.

“Gas!” Baden shouted.

“Aaargh!” John cried.

The party nearly fell over one another backpedaling toward the secret door as they exited the corridor. Yet the sound of released gas ended soon after it began.

Raylin, after a few heady moments, patted John on his shoulder. “Aaargh?” The ranger’s face split into a grin. “Tell me, southlander. Should you ever compose a song of our current endeavor, will you include your cry?” John was, for once, quiet.

“I must meditate,” Kellus announced without preamble.

The former priest strapped his shield to his back, sat down, and clasped his hands together. Old habits died hard. His companions busied themselves adjusting armor straps, cleaning weapons, and lighting a new torch. Vath maintained a vigilant watch upon the tunnel leading to the iron door. Outside, though muffled, they could hear the storm growing in intensity.

Finally, Kellus stood without announcement and strode down the corridor once more. He waved a hand toward the threshold before calling his companions to his side. “If there was poison, it is gone now. Perhaps it was weakened by the passing of years since the trap was first set.”

Vath, unbidden, passed quietly through the opening. The others shared a look before John casually remarked, “I like the half-troll scouting ahead for us.”

Raylin furrowed his brow. “Why?”

“Because if he is, then I am not.”

Amelyssan vomited. The elf drew a shaking hand across his mouth and leaned against the wall for support. The chamber told a terrible tale. There were no less than twenty skeletons scattered upon the flagstones. Some appeared male, some female, and still others – smaller than the rest – were undoubtedly children. All were elven.

Baden had located the seeing-holes in the opposite wall. Three sets of them spied upon the room from a secured alcove, allowing anyone within the adjoining chamber to watch what transpired upon those dark cobbles whereupon the party now stood.

And it was brutally clear just what had transpired - the long-dead elves had been forced to cannibalism. Amelyssan counted over thirty bones, snapped in two in order to suck marrow from them, intermingled with the skeletons. Most of the dead elves had broken fingers – whether from fighting one another or vainly attempting to dig through rock, Amelyssan was unsure.

The dwarf returned from the spying chamber. His voice was less gruff than normal. “Three stone chairs, pushed forward toward the holes. Two kegs, now empty, and a handful of drinking horns. A satchel filled with potions.” He tossed the rucksack to Raylin.

Raylin opened the bag. He grabbed one of the vials, unstoppered it, and waved it beneath his nose. “I have never smelled its like.”

Amelyssan extended a trembling hand. “I believe I know what they are. Here, give it to me.” The elf, too, sniffed the fluid. He swirled the vial and looked upon the sediment as it settled at the bottom of the crystal container. “Sustenance. One swallow and a man – or a dark dwarf – would be nourished for a handful of days.” He dropped the satchel to the stones with a grimace of disgust.

John’s face was uncharacteristically somber. “So the old tales are true, then? Dwem delight in watching elves fall upon one another. I have heard such yarns, yet thought them but tasteless fabrications.” The bard looked toward the seeing-holes. “The dwem must have sat there, perhaps for a tenday or so, and watched while drinking their mead and their potions.”

An uncomfortable silence fell as the party stood amongst the massacre. Amelyssan began to collect the bones into a single pile, his hands tentative in their movements, his manner exceedingly gentle. Soon his companions, all save Vath who continued to watch the outer hall through the doorway they had entered, bent to help him.

Finally, Amelyssan straightened. The task was complete. He murmured a soft benediction in the elvish tongue of his homeland, then stood – head bowed – for quite some time. When he again looked upward, the characteristic haughtiness in his eyes was clouded by tears.

Amelyssan walked from the chamber, his companions following in his wake, plunging the chamber once more into interminable darkness.

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Whisperings of Faith

Kellus could easily discern the protective abjuration aura pulsing along the length of the metallic bars, though he did not remember casting any detection spells. Odd. He leaned forward, through the mist, to improve his view. A strange script spiraled along each of the bars. Ancient runes. Abyssal and…dwarvish? He would need Baden’s assistance deciphering the etchings.

Kellus turned his head away to look for his dwarven companion, but it was useless. He was alone within the vaporous fog. The former priest knelt. The bars blocked a narrow archway – no more than two feet high – set within the corridor’s wall. Kellus gingerly reached out and wrapped a hand around one of the bars.

Black fingers, ending in manicured talons, enfolded his own hand like a father might a child’s. A sinewy, twilight-hued forearm extended from the hand into the darkness beyond the barred opening. The touch brought Abyssal words; they flared within his consciousness. Vindithi, Maugrymi, Vadood. Deceit. Trickery. Betrayal.

Kellus tore his hand away from the grip and scrambled backward on hands and feet. His chest was heaving. Here was evil incarnate, beautiful and wondrous in its purity. Trapped behind those bars.

No, Kellus realized with dawning horror, not trapped. He twisted his neck, face glistening with fear. A figure approached through the mist behind him-

“-dreaming.” A familiar voice fell from unseen heights and caressed his ears like salvation. “Wake up, man.”

Kellus bolted upright. The mist was gone. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes, forced his heart to slow its rapid beat. Raylin hunched over him, unshaven face dark within the shadows.

The cold stole upon him even as sleep fled. Kellus glanced past the ranger toward the wyvern’s ledge. The serpent’s body was covered with a handspan of freshly-fallen snow. His companions were awake, buckling armor, adjusting their packs. Amelyssan closed his spellbook and smiled softly in his direction. “We tried to let you sleep a bit, but it appears you would have none of it.”

Kellus nodded. He stood, stamped his feet. Raylin handed him his backpack. Kellus bent to retrieve mace and shield. The former priest inventoried his possessions. Four torches, enough food for two days – perhaps three if he skipped a meal or two. Regardless, they would need to descend the mountain soon. He idly wondered if their mounts remained within the gully they had tethered them.

“I must meditate,” he spoke, voice hoarse. “Then we may proceed.”

Kellus’ mind slowed as he breathed evenly and began his daily ritual. He prayed for his inner divinity to grant him the power to heal, to bless, to offer succor to those in need. Eventually, the practiced routine served to calm his roiling emotions.

But not completely. The party had a single corridor left to explore, ending at one door they had not yet opened. Along that hallway’s length was the same barred opening he had seen in his nightmare. Yesterday he had thought it was nothing more than a drainage culvert. Now he knew it for a prison.

And the inmate awaited their approach.

The voice was inside his head even before they turned the final corner. Welcome, friend. Kellus halted.

John whistled softly, and Vath returned to the party from his forward scouting position. The bard looked at Kellus quizzically. “What is it?”

I was afraid you would not return. I am not accustomed to fear. An odd emotion – worthless as regret.

Kellus gritted his teeth. John stepped forward and gripped his shoulder. “Speak, man. You have gone ashen. What is it?”

Kellus ignored the Pellman. He replied to the voice. I am not your friend.

You, and all like you, are indeed my friends.

Kellus unsuccessfully tried to push the presence from his mind before answering. You are a stain upon this world. You do not belong.

A chuckle tittered within his head. It sounded like the laugh of a very young girl. You, traitorous priest, are far worse than me. You know gods exist, and you spurn them. You have broken faith, godless one. I have never done so.

You know nothing of faith, outworlder. You are as fickle as the spring rains, inconstant as infidelity.

The same chuckle. Tell me – did you learn that in Helm's catechism? I have heard its like before, from those far more potent than yourself.

John’s gloved hand gripped Kellus’ chin. “He is in a trance, I think. Is there some foul magic afoot?” His eyes were upon the former priest, but he directed his words toward Amelyssan.

The elf cocked his head to one side like a bird listening for the approach of predators. Kellus gently but firmly pushed John’s hand away. “I am fine. One speaks to me within my head.”

John blinked. “Who?”

Counselor Baphtemet, I was once called. I am so very pleased to make your acquaintance.

Kellus shook his head. “A liar.”

The bard glanced at his companions before fastening his gaze once more on Kellus. “Tell us, friend, is it Borbidon?”

The chuckle erupted into a booming guffaw. Kellus dropped his mace and held both hands to his temples. Finally, the mocking laughter subsided. That misbegotten, grasping knave? Never. Now that is an insult that deserves answering.

Kellus retrieved his mace, embarrassed. He eyed his companions. “There is a planar being imprisoned behind the iron bars in the next corridor.”

Baden’s brow knotted in confusion. “A planar being?”

“A devil,” Amelyssan offered.

“No,” Kellus said. “A demon. A liar.”

“You did say imprisoned, yes?” John’s face was etched with doubt. At Kellus’ nod, he cracked a smile. “That is, shall we say, good to hear.”

“We cannot go any further. We must leave this place.”

Leave? So soon? Never would I allow such. Come, friend, come to talk. It has been long since I last engaged in repartee.

Baden adjusted the grip on his axe. “Brother Kellus, there is but one final door. Doubtless it is the crypt itself. You have seen what these dwem did to the elves. Borbidon has much to answer for.”

Amelyssan’s own face was stern. “Indeed he does.”

“No,” Kellus stated. He was resolute. “The fiend is beyond our ken.”

Certainly, certainly. But do come forward. I beseech you.

Kellus pushed his way around John and made toward the exit.

DO NOT DARE, GODLESS ONE! COME FORTH! Come...or I shall work upon the minstrel. He will not find me so pleasant. Again, the tittering child’s laugh. Then, a piteous whine: Please, just for a moment. But a single moment.

Kellus halted his departure and turned. He saw John’s face, confused, listening to sounds only he could hear. The bard murmured, “Such wonderful music…”

Kellus strode back to the Pellman and grabbed him with both hands. “Push him from your mind. He is a liar, a trickster.”

John nodded, swallowing. “That may be.” The bard’s fingers tapped lightly against the hilt of his rapier, accompanying a soundless rhythm.

Kellus knew he was out-matched. His own will allowed him to ignore or deny the demon-

Are you certain?

-but his friends were open to its taunts, its promises. He knew what he must do. All thought to stealth was gone. The former priest’s voice was loud, commanding. “We shall go to the final door, but none shall pause near the barred opening.”

Kellus hefted his spiked mace, face grim. “If any of you hesitate, I will not.”

Lela

First Post
Okay, if he keeps up with the religious element, he could ride high with Sep as one of the best.

I'm loving how you're expanding every moment, drawing out the actual story via the characters who make it up. We've had three updates in this cavern and nothing has happened. And, yet, we know so much more.

I can't wait to understand how the demon relates to Kelles, if he even does. I've said it before, so now I'll say it twice:

I love it.
I love it!

Avarice

First Post
Whoa... two high quality updates in one day. Careful, Destan, I could get used to this. :D

I LOVE the demon, by the way. We haven't seen hide nor fang of the beastie, yet even so he's proving vastly more frightening than if he'd just jumped out and eaten the priest straight away. Simultaneously cruel and pathetic, cunning and crazy. Very nicely done!

Just out of curiosity, though, about what level was the party when they arrived at Borbidon's Rest? Couldn't have been much higher than second...

Maladrac

First Post
Aw, Destan! :( I had just stopped having nightmares about Baphtemet and you're going to make me relive it all.

And to Lela, and the rest of you; without giving anything away, I'll tell you from experience- pay attention to the details. Destan is constantly planting tiny, little, wicked seeds, that take a long, LONG time to sprout. His patience is maddening.

And a little p.s. to Handforged; no offense taken, Dude. It was all said in jest. In fact, I'd say our party slams eachother as much out of character as we do in character.

Ale and Warmth,
Maladrac

pogre

Legend
Destan,

Now, if I might hazard a question ;)

How did you handle the Demon speaking to the Cleric? Did you use notes, pull him aside, or just trust the group not to act or speak about the exchange?

Your story just keeps getting better!

Thanks,

pogre

Lela

First Post
Oh, goodness. I had missed the first post. That was amazingly vile and truely evil. Something you'd expect from a race second only to Drow in effecient brutality and torture. Though I can only imagine what the Drow manage.

Now I've got to do something like this IMC, blast it. It's a good thing my players rarely read the Story Hours I recomend. If they did, they wouldn't think I'm as creative as I seem.

rigur

First Post
Ah wonderful... Players having nightmares mmm yummy. This one keeps getting better and better. I dread the day when you say you have caught up with the RL game and we have to wait for months for an update.
How far behind are you anyway? So I can brace myself for that dreadful day.

Keep it coming, not to fast mind you.

Richard

Remove ads