Force effects definitions

Number47

First Post
I can't find any decent, all-encompassing definition of force effects anywhere. Can anyone point out book/page for a general definition? One of the questions I want answered is, does wall of force block sound? I know that it will stop sonic-damage effects, but will it stop bardic music for example or even simple spoken orders?

I can't really answer you about the first part, other than to start looking for Force at the start of the spell section of the PHB.

As to the sound issue. If the wall is totally blocking something like a passage or tunnel between the origin and target of the sound then yes, it blocks it. This would include speech. If there's a gap, or the Wall of Force was set as free-standing then I'd say the sound could get around it. There's a section in the DMG (which I really should re-read) that discusses obstructions to sound, mostly in the context of how that effects listen checks. Mabye you could get inspiration/answers there.

Hatchling Dragon

Moleculo

First Post
I would think that Bardic MUSIC would be blocked, but the bard might have a non music form of performace and that wouldn't seem to be blocked?

jake

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Hm....

Would a force effect stop sound? Possibly. I would play it a lot like bullet proof glass, sound might be muffled, but communication can still be managed. Spells and such are blocked (obviously), but I'd imagine air (at least some small amount) can pass through it. Otherwise, it brings up another small problem, could someone suffocate in a wall of force? (My interpretation is no, some air gets through).

LightPhoenix

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:
Hm....

Would a force effect stop sound? Possibly. I would play it a lot like bullet proof glass, sound might be muffled, but communication can still be managed. Spells and such are blocked (obviously), but I'd imagine air (at least some small amount) can pass through it. Otherwise, it brings up another small problem, could someone suffocate in a wall of force? (My interpretation is no, some air gets through).

Wall of Force - (p. 269, PHB, paraphrasing) immune to damage, spells and breath weapons can't pass through, blocks ethreal, gazes go through. No mention of air, sound, or light, so I'd assume all go through. It just stops the magical effects from accompanying them.

Bardic Music (p. 28, PHB) is sometimes Supernatural (Inspire Courage, Countersong, Inspire Competence, Inspire Greatness) and sometimes Spell-like (Fascinate, Suggestion). I'd say the Wall of Force stops the spell-like abilities, but doesn't stop the supernatural ones.

Wall of Force specifically says, "spells and breath weapons" (quoted), but lists nothing else. Breath Weapons are supernatural.

By specifically pointing out breath weapons, it implies they only meant spells and spell-like abilities.

So I would rule that the Bardic Songs listed above that are supernatural go through. I would similarly rule that you can't use a Wall of Force to suffocate someone.

LightPhoenix

Attachments

• en5ider 253 and 254 prestige classes galore.jpg
    en5ider 253 and 254 prestige classes galore.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 19,079

Remove ads