D&D 5E To Sail the Olympian Sea: 5E [OOC]

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think my character would have been transferred on the ship at a different time, since I was captured on a ship leaving Brettonia. It might explain why I am less "close" with the group.

I must admit I'm still not 100% sure on the chain of events - was our ship attacked, the slaves revolted, overthrew the captors *then* repelled the attackers? And are those attackers that hobgoblin dreadnought?

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
As I recall, our ship was attacked by hobgoblins because their leader was a prisoner on it along with the rest of us.

We started out attacking the slavers...and then wound up having to fight the hobgoblins once the slavers were defeated.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
apart from gamil, here is the story thus far.
You awoke in a prison ship as prisoners, not slaves. You had been sent off to a penal colony due to some real or framed crime.
The ship was attacked, and the hobgoblins sent someone down to set the prisoner in the other closed room but he set you free instead. you fought some hobgoblins, then the prisoner (Arthros) conned you into letting him go upstairs to negotiate your way onto the deck without a fight. The hobgoblins instead tried to enslave you, you all kicked their asses, but Arthros escaped back to the hobgoblin dreadnaught (dreadnought?) from which the attackers originally came.

Gamil you were captured by the crew of this vessel, the Medusa, off the Brettonian coast. They forced you to work where you could and were on deck when the hobgoblins attacked. You and your fellow slaves defended yourselves but surrendered to the hobgoblins until the prisoners reopened the fighting. You helped drive off the hobgoblins and here you are.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Okay - I have a much clearer idea what happened thank you :)

On a *completely* different topic: I've read a lot of books about naval operations during the age of sail (notably, the Patrick O'Brian series, although I still have a few more to finish). This means although Gamil doesn't know much about sailing and ships, I do a fair bit. *however*

1: This is knowledge from reading well-researched novels and books. I have next to no *personal* sailing experience, and that counts for a lot.
2: The workings of fairly advanced sailing ships on a well ordered navy may be quite different than a medieval, fantasy ship. The tech and culture are just not the same.
3: I hope that this partial knowledge can be of help to the GM and not a disruptive know-it all :p

So all this to say that despite Pyrlig's mistaken impression, smiths were commonly found on sailing ships with mini-forges, to maintain the weapons and craft various tools and useful metal objects. Of course, the Medusa may or may not have such facilities (although Gamil does have some tools).

TallIan

Explorer
So all this to say that despite Pyrlig's mistaken impression, smiths were commonly found on sailing ships with mini-forges, to maintain the weapons and craft various tools and useful metal objects. Of course, the Medusa may or may not have such facilities (although Gamil does have some tools).

I know that, Pyrlig not so much.

My knowledge of sailing is not extensive, but I do know there are various tradesmen on board for maintenance and repairs.

Pyrlig on the other hand comes from inland and is a bit of a self centred ***hole. So doesn't appreciate what Gamil can do for the group.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
That's quite alright - and after all, with a potentially hostile ship nearby, smithing may not be the most urgent priority, so Pyrilig has a point there :)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Okay - I have a much clearer idea what happened thank you :)

On a *completely* different topic: I've read a lot of books about naval operations during the age of sail (notably, the Patrick O'Brian series, although I still have a few more to finish). This means although Gamil doesn't know much about sailing and ships, I do a fair bit. *however*

1: This is knowledge from reading well-researched novels and books. I have next to no *personal* sailing experience, and that counts for a lot.
2: The workings of fairly advanced sailing ships on a well ordered navy may be quite different than a medieval, fantasy ship. The tech and culture are just not the same.
3: I hope that this partial knowledge can be of help to the GM and not a disruptive know-it all :p

The Patrick O'Brian books are great! I've read the first two(?), with the next one sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get to it.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm not sure how well O'Brian's books will apply to a trireme :p

moving on...

What language are we speaking at the moment? Are there regional languages? Is there a common trade tongue? I'm asking mostly because I want to see if we can tell where each other comes from just from the accent :)

Remove ads