Ghost in the Shell (2017) Official Trailer 2

[video=youtube;yuJ25aDdw4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJ25aDdw4s[/video]

I'm interested enough to see it, but that's about it at this point.

Joker

First Post
This is about what I expected: A completely Hollyfied version of the source material. A focus on the emotional "Who am I?" rather than the intellectual "What am I?".

Of course, it's early days. It may be completely different than what I'm getting from the trailer and I have to watch that I'm not a victim of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Unless I can find a theater that shows it in 2D, I probably won't watch it until it comes out on streaming.

I reckon I'm gonna put this in the same place as Starship Troopers. A fun film on its own but in a different universe as its namesake.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I reckon I'm gonna put this in the same place as Starship Troopers. A fun film on its own but in a different universe as its namesake.
That is true of all the versions of GitS. The mangas aren't in the same universe as the movie, the movie isn't in the same universe as the TV series, and the last TV series (Arise) is in another universe too.

Joker

First Post
That is true of all the versions of GitS. The mangas aren't in the same universe as the movie, the movie isn't in the same universe as the TV series, and the last TV series (Arise) is in another universe too.

Yes, but the various products are thematically similar. Starship Troopers was such a departure from the source that I considered it a different franchise all together. This is a personal view of it. It has nothing to do with how the makers of it intended it to be. It's a bit like some fans of Star Wars don't consider the prequels to be Star Wars movies.
The Ghost in the Shell movies and series are meant to stand alone.

So for my own sanity, I will put this movie in another realm if it's as different as I hope it won't be.

Remove ads