D&D 4E Building an Archivist in 4E

darkbard

Legend
The thread about the "feelz" of 4E got me thinking about some preconceptions about the game I hold. Now, while I am kind of a "true believer" when it comes to 4E--it provides just about everything I want in a game and I have little interest in changing editions or tweaking the system in more than minor ways--one of the truisms I've long espoused is that the generic style the game most easily promotes is one of pulp action and wuxia theatrics, and thus a certain kind of character becomes more of a negative value for the team than a positive asset. To wit: one of my wife's favorite character conceits from the 3.X days, the Archivist, a character conceit whose schtick revolves around knowledge and its practical application.

But now I'm rethinking this somewhat. Are there sufficient game elements in the system to build this kind of character, one whose mechanical build, not just fictional story components, adds significant value and suitable flavor (without reskinning too much) to the team to recreate this archetype in 4E? Certainly, the Scholar theme, especially its Use Vulnerability encounter utility, is a stepping stone.

Heavy Ritual use would also be a potential starting point except for the oft-noted fact that Rituals are usually relegated into a separate silo from combat scenarios, a fraught proposal for a typical game that is split somewhat evenly between combat and social/exploration scenarios.

What other components might come into play? And what is likely the most utilitarian chassis for such a character? Wizard (with its INT score, Ritual access, and skill substitution Cantrips)? Bard (with its access to a broad skill list and skill boosts via Bard of All Trades)? Something else?

MwaO

Adventurer
I'd probably look at an Int/Cha Bard|Wizard or possibly a pure Bard.

You get Bard of All Trades for essentially all skills trained. You MC Sorcerer for access to Sorcerous Vision(and maybe Demonskin Adept) to really blow out most of the skills with Trained Arcana checks?

Tony Vargas

Legend
The thread about the "feelz" of 4E got me thinking about some preconceptions about the game I hold. Now, while I am kind of a "true believer" when it comes to 4E--it provides just about everything I want
Yep, I'm right there with you, 4e had everything you could wa-
::MARTIALCONTROLLER!::
- oh, excuse me, allergies are coming on early this year...

pulp action and wuxia theatrics, and thus a certain kind of character becomes more of a negative value for the team than a positive asset. To wit: one of my wife's favorite character conceits from the 3.X days, the Archivist,
That was just less-combat/more-magic Cleric, wasn't it? Like a 'poor combat abilities'/lotsa-spheres Priest in 2e, sorta?

a character conceit whose schtick revolves around knowledge and its practical application.
So like the drive-the-DM-crazy Epic-know-it-all, The Sage of Ages? I wish I could say that I have no idea what an inedible pita it is to deal with one of those...

But now I'm rethinking this somewhat. Are there sufficient game elements in the system to build this kind of character, one whose mechanical build, not just fictional story components, adds significant value and suitable flavor (without reskinning too much) to the team to recreate this archetype in 4E? Certainly, the Scholar theme, especially its Use Vulnerability encounter utility, is a stepping stone.
Might actually go with the Vile Scholar theme (ew). Sage of Ages is the obvious thing at Epic. In-between... uh, Divine Philospher (Invoker) or Accademy Master (any arcane) sound like candidates.

Heavy Ritual use would also be a potential starting point except for the oft-noted fact that Rituals are usually relegated into a separate silo from combat scenarios
Doesn't sound like a big issue.

What other components might come into play? And what is likely the most utilitarian chassis for such a character? Wizard (with its INT score, Ritual access, and skill substitution Cantrips)? Bard (with its access to a broad skill list and skill boosts via Bard of All Trades)? Something else?
INT-based divine class doesn't really fly, they can already be WIS or CHA or STR... You /could/ just take a Cleric or Invoker, remove the heavy armor, and just arbitrarily make it INT for attack stat instead of WIS - it could keep WIS for other riders, since WIS is supposed to be secondary for the Archivist; INT would take care of it's AC needs. You could hybrid Wizard (the obvious fit in terms of unarmored and high INT with lots of knowledge) with Invoker or Cleric, or simply MC to qualify for the PP path you want. Another place you can go for INT-utility but not overt combat ability would be Tactical Warlord, sticking to the 'lazy' exploits - you use your knowledge to help your allies fight better... a lot better. ;) For the divine connection you could hybrid that with Invoker, for the more wizardy feel (or actual Wizard and really get a lot out of your INT), or Cleric for a full-on Leader.

I always kind of did have a hankering to make a 'Monstruwaccan' class (stolen from Hodgson's The Night Land). This would function to defeat monsters and other supernatural challenges by the use of extensive lore, experience, and specialized techniques and equipment passed down through a recognized social caste/profession with the social function of monster fighter.

Mechanically I would envisage this character having sage-like characteristics (you can cop these from any of the above-mentioned PP/ED/theme sources as well as various classes). I'd suggest the wizard and artificer, and perhaps the bard as potential sources of inspiration.

The next question would be what sort of a role does this class play? Is it a leader, bolstering the party against the various forms of horrific monsters by application of specific lore? Is it a controller, directly confronting these monstrosities and imposing conditions on them or restricting their ability to function? Or perhaps it could be a defender, interposing itself and forcing the monsters to deal with it or pay a price? Obviously a striker is also conceivable, exploiting specific weaknesses of each monster to do enhanced damage directly.

Another question is power source, is it arcane (specialized knowledge), divine (Hodgson's version channeled 'earth power', which might also be primal), etc. This would help define the flavor, but doesn't have too much mechanical impact.

Finally, do you want to construct a whole class? I mean it isn't that hard to reflavor existing classes. A rogue or ranger for instance could easily be tweaked to represent exploiting weaknesses, an artificer to concocting palliatives, etc.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Another place you can go for INT-utility but not overt combat ability would be Tactical Warlord, sticking to the 'lazy' exploits - you use your knowledge to help your allies fight better... a lot better. ;)

This right here was my first thought my attachment to the princess build Warlord is ahem well established ;)

Teemu

Hero
Yep, I'm right there with you, 4e had everything you could wa-
::MARTIALCONTROLLER!::
- oh, excuse me, allergies are coming on early this year...

Like it or not, the hunter ranger is a martial-primal controller whose only required primal part are the at-will stances, which are very easily switched from the primal keyword to martial (the effects are not clearly magical). You can take martial ranger utility powers instead of the default primal ones suggested in the class entry.

darkbard

Legend
So I haven't had time to stat anything out yet (perhaps, if the fates are kind, I will this weekend), but I think I will probably go Deva Wizard|Warlord/Invoker with Scholar Theme/Divine Philosopher/Sage of Ages route. I realize the goal of such a character is both on the leader (yet lazy) and controller lines and maximizing the effect of knowledge skills, not the breadth of skills (hence no Bard, despite the sweet skill options available via BoAT, etc.).

With this in mind, does anyone have specific suggestions with regard to feats and powers that are can't miss (again, with the goal being a fully functioning (if not entirely optimized) member of the team)?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Like it or not, the hunter ranger is a martial-primal controller whose only required primal part are the at-will stances, which are very easily switched from the primal keyword to martial (the effects are not clearly magical). You can take martial ranger utility powers instead of the default primal ones suggested in the class entry.

How about NOT.... and completely under fed multi-opponent targeting and area effects? rather reminds me of how many martial practices were strictly inferior to their nearest ritual.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Without the stunningly OP primal daily utilities, the Hunter was an inferior controller (not appreciably better than a ranger tricked out as a secondary controller), with them it could occasionally rise above mediocrity. So, no, it was a Primal controller, martial contribution to the class was a lack of daily attack powers.

Last edited:

Remove ads