Scientists Say They Could Bring Back Woolly Mammoths Within Two Years

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I am no biologist but I would think that mammoths would be a very poor species to test scientific resurrection on. They are big and take time to mature. Meanwhile, from a genetic perspective their immune systems are stuck ten thousand years in the past. The chances of a resident of a contact era Mexico City resident during the conquest should look relatively bright compared to a mammoth cloned from ancient tissues.
They would be half-mammouth half-elephant. Scientist need elephant ova and uterus to de-extinct the mammouth. The viability of the off-spring of a living species and one that has been extinct for thousands of years is a mystery.

Garamal

First Post
It's very interesting and I'm curious about their results. And in fact, if people will be cautious and careful than it's not gonna be as dangerous as in Jurassic Park) I think you don't afraid to walk in the zoo, therefore, it's all just about the appropriate security control

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That is correct; Jurassic Park taught them nothing. They may have taken it as a challenge.

What did a wooly mammoth eat? Is THAT extinct? If so, the newborns aren't going to survive much past weaning...
That's why they're going to splice in some DNA from coral, so they can host photosynthetic algae in their hair and/or dermis...

...as well as developing tiny tentacles with nematocysts in their pelts that can help them catch prey.

MarkB

Legend
That is correct; Jurassic Park taught them nothing. They may have taken it as a challenge.

What did a wooly mammoth eat? Is THAT extinct? If so, the newborns aren't going to survive much past weaning...

Mammoths died out less than 5000 years ago. Plant life hasn't changed a great deal since then.

Remove ads