Alchemical Item:Davincis Glider (how to?)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
inspirational art

Davinci.jpg

Currently one can acquire at level 4 a ritual that can grant a flying mount
that lasts 12 hours with component cost of 25 gold.

Perhaps that can give a clue

I figure its fragility is what creates the time limit perhaps the time limit can vary by how much was spent on it... while bulky when used it might also be fairly collapsible the user is pretty much mounted while using it as you need hands and such to control it.

Well, the level 4 ritual CAN grant a flying mount (I assume you are talking about Phantom Steed), but its unlikely you'll get a high enough check result to get one until paragon, unless maybe you really optimize your Arcana.

I'd also note that the costs of rituals REALLY REALLY should scale with effect, which is a fairly significant oversight in the design of rituals, so the 25gp cost might not really be indicative of what you SHOULD pay.

Anyway, this thing seems like a mechanism. It doesn't feel very 'alchemical' to me. Nor does it exactly feel consumable either. However, in the interests of making something that's reasonably useful and doesn't duplicate existing items, which are all at least mid-paragon, it does kinda make sense to have something more disposable in game terms.

I'd make it something like a level 8 consumable item. That would price it with other consumables such as level 8 potions and such. It could simply be a formula you can acquire that works with Enchant Item, but if you really want to make it Alchemical that doesn't really have any significant mechanical impact, it just seems odd thematically, as it is quite different from any other alchemical items. Perhaps reflavoring it as some sort of 'lofting gas' that you generate by mixing reagents and then breath? That might fit more with alchemy and explain the consumable nature of the item.

As for duration, I'd go for something a good bit shorter than the 12 hours of the Phantom Steed. You could even get a bit 'old fashioned' and make the duration variable! I seem to recall that Potion of Flying was like 2-8+2 turns or something along those lines, meaning you were taking a pretty big chance if you flew for very long (those were 10 minute turns, so you could get up to 100 minutes). Anyway, those are some ideas.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, the level 4 ritual CAN grant a flying mount (I assume you are talking about Phantom Steed), but its unlikely you'll get a high enough check result to get one until paragon, unless maybe you really optimize your Arcana.

Oh I was very very much cheating and don't mind it being higher levels or something ...I can give my character a dash of Bard and get a familiar with flying like a Hawk then use the ritual that makes it in to a mount sized variant. AND voila Gandalf can summon a giant Eagle. LOL
Or the trick can give the Witch a flying broom to ride at pretty low level if you make a flying broom as a familar LOL.

The fundamental difference from the Glider ofcourse is that the familar transform requires something significant out of the subject
they must have a familiar and only makes a personal mount. I think something the whole party can use is more in keeping with the philosophy of the game anyway.

I have also considered tying glider use a time limit based on the subjects athletics / acrobatics checks so when it fails its ahem the users fault teehee.

I'd also note that the costs of rituals REALLY REALLY should scale with effect, which is a fairly significant oversight in the design of rituals, so the 25gp cost might not really be indicative of what you SHOULD pay.

If the device provided better duration ie less fragilty and I was thinking of that then it would also cost more. (it might not even be optional to spend the money)

Anyway, this thing seems like a mechanism. It doesn't feel very 'alchemical' to me. Nor does it exactly feel consumable either. However, in the interests of making something that's reasonably useful and doesn't duplicate existing items, which are all at least mid-paragon, it does kinda make sense to have something more disposable in game terms.

I think techie toys being fragile and breaking down after a few uses makes sense to me as a limit that way they do not overwhelm the world design so much. There is a reason magical flavor still dominates.

As for it feeling Alchemical.. there is a Clockwork Bomb and a Tension wheel and a Tether-cord ...which set precedent I feel for more Clockwork Devices being alchemical items I think although I did consider a separate Feat for enabling them since the alchemist is the proto-scientist of his era allowing a mechanical things to be part of his shtick i think makes sense.

My other item i want is basically scuba gear..

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There is always treating it more as a Glider... ie upwards movement is generally less available unless you are near a location with upwards air currents like near a mount side...
a need to start with some distance from the ground or some such.

Maybe like feather fall with a movement component OR something simmy like at.

Remove ads