Nentir Vale/World of Nerath Information/Links?

AslanC

Explorer
Hey folks!

So I am starting a new campaign in a couple of weeks and I want to set it in Nentir Vale (and possibly the larger world later) using Myth & Magic.

I am looking for any and all resources, links, fan creations, etc... for the Vale (and the PoLand world itself).

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Tony Vargas

Legend
There's really not a lot. The Nentir Vale was a sample adventure, and used in a module or two. The world itself was not a setting, but the generic suggestion of one. My thought is just to use it as a spark of inspiration. There were these ancient empires, the Nentir Vale is here, now, when players leave it, you just sorta fill things in as they go.

IDK if it was published somewhere, or if the DM made it up, but I played a few adventures in a city called Vardos that was pretty cool, once a great city of Arkhosia, it was re-built by Nerath, and is still inhabbited by humans & dragonborn. So it had this very Rome-in-the-Dark-Ages feel. There were huge monuments and public works and a giant arena, all very old, and all around, almost clinging to them, smaller medieval structures, and then just acres of ruins...

AslanC

Explorer
Thanks for the resources. I am doing my best to learn what I can and see where I can put in stuff of my own, etc... I was thinking of using the 3e Modules (Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, etc...) and setting them in the Vale. Now I am looking at some of the Nentir Vale adventures instead or alongside... not sure.

S'mon

Legend
Thanks for the resources. I am doing my best to learn what I can and see where I can put in stuff of my own, etc... I was thinking of using the 3e Modules (Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, etc...) and setting them in the Vale. Now I am looking at some of the Nentir Vale adventures instead or alongside... not sure.

As well as some official WoTC Nentir Vale scenarios (Thunderspire Labyrinth, possibly) I'm using some of the Goodman Games 4e adventures like Forges of the Mountain King (think Forge of Fury) in the Dawnforge Mountains, Mists of Madness in the Witchlight Fens. Might use Wyvern Mountain likewise, and maybe some Punjar stuff if the PCs go to the southern cities, eg Sarthel. Back with WoTC stuff the PCs probably want to avoid going near the Trollhaunt Warrens until they have a few levels... ;)
I think my most useful resource will be Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale though; it's a sandboxer's dream.

Here's Keep on the Shadowfell - https://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/H1.pdf
I hear the adventure is sloggy so I'm just going to use Winterfell and maybe a few bits from the
adventure itself. I think 4e adventures work best as either 2-4 encounter 'delves' or 6-8 encounter full level affairs; the 28-30 encounters of the HPE series adventures is way too much.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The greater world got a lot more detail in dungeon magazine. Anyone know which issues had articles about the kingdoms, factions, etc?

I know there was a series of articles talking about a group of kingdoms surrounding a sea, I think? There was a map of the region and everything.

The 4e books, in general, had LOT of lore in them, and 90% or more of it can be considered part of "PoLand". Seriously the 4e books were overflowing with lore. Even the X Power books had tons of lore baked into the player options, and supporting lore in between.

thanson02

Explorer
The greater world got a lot more detail in dungeon magazine. Anyone know which issues had articles about the kingdoms, factions, etc?

I know there was a series of articles talking about a group of kingdoms surrounding a sea, I think? There was a map of the region and everything.

The 4e books, in general, had LOT of lore in them, and 90% or more of it can be considered part of "PoLand". Seriously the 4e books were overflowing with lore. Even the X Power books had tons of lore baked into the player options, and supporting lore in between.
Absolutely! The thing to keep in mind with a Points of Light campaign setting is that from the perspective of the characters in the world, there's no real hard facts going around. There's just old tales and stories about this person and that person who used to do this, that, and the other thing. I always felt the lack of hard details with the Point of Lights settings reflected this, even in situations where there were obvious contradictory bits of information. At that point, it would be up to the DM to decide what makes the most sense for the story he's telling and have the players find out for themselves through the adventuring.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

AslanC

Explorer
The greater world got 8 expansions called Nerathi Legends in Dragon Magazine nos;

#398 (Sarthel, City of Silver)
#399 (The Seven Kings of Karkoth)
#400 (The Iron Wolf Barbarians)
#401 (Merindaelion, Barony of the Emerald Blade)
#402 (Adretia, the Citadel of Iron’s Grasp)
#403 (Realm of the Gorgon King)
#405 (The Knights of Rethmil)
#406 (Rangers of Cernall)

...and lord knows I wish they had done more!

Oh and for those who want here is that map of the world unlabeled: http://i.imgur.com/MfXMwNP.jpg

I am slowly falling in love with many aspects of this setting, but do find the omnipresence of the more "D&D" races (Dragonborn and Tieflings) harder and harder to swollow. So for "my Nerath" I might dial those down to "legends" of the past that may or may not show up. Especially for the Warforged.

Cheers!

Remove ads