Zen and the Art of Lycanthropy...

Pbartender

First Post
So I need to make a lycanthropic character or two, but the rules aren't clear on a few things... Mainly, the differences between, "natural" and "afflicted" lycanthropes.

This is the first time I'd looked at the lycanthrope templates real closely, so perhaps you guys could help out.

1. ECL... The DMG lists only one ECL for each type of lycanthrope. Is that for natural, afflicted, or both?

2. Alignment... Afflicted lycanthropes become the lycanthrope's alignment when changed into animal or hypbrid form, and go back to normal alignment when they change back. If they change willingly, they automatically become the lycanthropic alignment all the time. But what about natural lycanthropes? Must they be the lycanthropic alignment (eg. must natural werewolves be chaotic evil)?

3. Hybrid forms... Just exactly which abilities does a lycanthrope get in this form? It seems to grant all the benefits of the animal form with the main benefit of being a humanoid (opposable thumbs). Is there any disadvantage to this form?

LokiDR

First Post
Pbartender said:

1. ECL... The DMG lists only one ECL for each type of lycanthrope. Is that for natural, afflicted, or both?
Both, as written.

An afflicted character who accepts the alignment change can learn to control it, hence there becomes no difference over time.

Pbartender said:

2. Alignment... Afflicted lycanthropes become the lycanthrope's alignment when changed into animal or hypbrid form, and go back to normal alignment when they change back. If they change willingly, they automatically become the lycanthropic alignment all the time. But what about natural lycanthropes? Must they be the lycanthropic alignment (eg. must natural werewolves be chaotic evil)?

Yes, all werewolves that were born that way are chaotic evil, as with any other "always" alignment race.

Pbartender said:

3. Hybrid forms... Just exactly which abilities does a lycanthrope get in this form? It seems to grant all the benefits of the animal form with the main benefit of being a humanoid (opposable thumbs). Is there any disadvantage to this form?

Advantages: better stats, ability to use equipment, special abilities (DR kicks in)

Disadvantages: you look like a freak and common people will run in fear of you.

Pbartender

First Post
Thanks, Loki. That's what I suspected, but I needed a second point of view.

Anyone else with an opinion, or informed ruling?

Remove ads