Ex-virgin's observations of first AL experiences and some questions for the more experienced

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Participated in my first AL events this past weekend. Actually, I did one AL game last year, but I didn't know it was an AL game, didn't know what AL was, and when given a DCI number and log sheet, I recycled them along with my character sheet. So, it doesn't count.

This year, I participated in an AL epic at Con of the North. I downloaded and read the AL rules and created a 1st-level character.

The next day I played another AL adventure with my son.

I also participated in Fai Chen.

My first question is that the AL events at the Con ignored tickets and took people first-come-first-serve. It this normal for AL events at conventions? Should I ignore pre-registration for AL events?

The actual AL schedule did not match the printed schedule in the Con book and on the tickets. The games were four hours, not the advertised 6 hours, and the start times were different. There was no signage or other notices explaining this, yet many of the players seemed to know this. Is there a message board or e-mail announcement list for AL events that would have explained this? My guess is the the people who were not confused were just players that showed up for the 8am event and were still hanging around for the latter events. It probably was just folks who only showed up for the afternoon events that were confused because they walked in on games in progress and were told to come back in two hours.

What is up with magic items and Fai Chens? If you lose our magic-item card, do you lose your magic item, or just your ability to trade it?

So in my first game I got an adamantine chain shirt. The next day, there was a Fai Chen event. I traded the adamantine chain shirt for a +1 war hammer. I think the whole registered magic item and Fai Chen event is a fun extra dimension to the AL experience, but I'm not sure how strict the rules are about this. Are DMs given strict limits on magic items and does every magic item in AL need to be registered? Is there some database at WoTC that knows every magic items ever handed out in AL?

I know AL has seasonal story lines. I cannot commit to a regular AL campaign, so I only go at conventions. Will my player "expire" or become so outdated that I won't be able to play him in a year?

Are AL sessions campaign focused, or are there one offs? The convention games are nice once offs. Probably part of larger stories, but they seem well-designed to jump in and play. But from what I see online, the AL events at local stores are built around the most recently-release adventure path (currently Storm King's Thunder). That's kept me away from trying to attend AL events at local game stores.

The other thing that has kept me from AL events is the lack of signup. Seems like it can be difficult to find a game with open spots, especially if you are not a regular. In my area, only the AL at Level Up Games has a meetup where you sign up for spots. Never been to Level Up Games, but just knowning that I can communicate with the organizer and sign up for a spot mean it will probably be the one I go to, despite other game stores being closer.

How complete is the WoTC Store Event locator? I don't see Level Up games listed, although it seems to have two or three AL events per week based on its active Meetup Page. Where else should I look for AL games?

I was surpised to learn that folks run AL as their personal, at-home campaigns. How does this work? Do you just register as a DM? For those that do this, how much paperwork is there? I'm thinking of running occasional games for a group a kids and their parents. Basically, a "bring your kid to D&D" event. AL provides a fun structure for something like this. I'm reading over the material. I understand the logging etc, but it seems that very little gets logged online, or am I missing something?

RCanine

First Post
My first question is that the AL events at the Con ignored tickets and took people first-come-first-serve. It this normal for AL events at conventions? Should I ignore pre-registration for AL events?

Every event is different, but you should always pre-register if you can, because it helps the organizers plan for capacity.

The actual AL schedule did not match the printed schedule in the Con book and on the tickets. … Is there a message board or e-mail announcement list for AL events that would have explained this?

This is specific to your event. If the event has a web site or something there might be more info.

What is up with magic items and Fai Chens? If you lose our magic-item card, do you lose your magic item, or just your ability to trade it?

Mostly the ability to trade it. It's the honor system.

Are DMs given strict limits on magic items and does every magic item in AL need to be registered? Is there some database at WoTC that knows every magic items ever handed out in AL?

Items are specified in the content. Publishing lists of items is generally taboo because it's considered a spoiler for people that want to be surprised.

Will my player "expire" or become so outdated that I won't be able to play him in a year?

No.

Are AL sessions campaign focused, or are there one offs?

A little bit of both.

How complete is the WoTC Store Event locator? I don't see Level Up games listed, although it seems to have two or three AL events per week based on its active Meetup Page. Where else should I look for AL games?

If you live near a store, check there.

I was surpised to learn that folks run AL as their personal, at-home campaigns. How does this work? Do you just register as a DM? For those that do this, how much paperwork is there?

It's just like a home campaign except you don't have to write all the content yourself, in exchange for a little bit more strict guidelines. Again, honor system.

I understand the logging etc, but it seems that very little gets logged online, or am I missing something?

No. Honor system.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Also, the AL series are themed similarly to the published AP, but they are a separate, independent storyline. Basically a "this is also happening" thing. So this season it's dealing with giants and the broken Ordning. You can run the hardcover APs as AL legal too, though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

NeverLucky

First Post
Sounds like this event is pretty badly managed, to be honest. Most of the time, tickets and time-slots are very important; as long as you show up on time, tickets/pre-reg ensures that you get to play, and time slots are rigorously enforced.

Mostly the ability to trade it. It's the honor system.
Specifically the ability to trade it to Fai Chen for one of their new certs. You can trade uncerted items freely between players, and for Fai Chen's gently used items.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Hey, glad to see you could make it out to CotN. I had a lot going on(DM'ed all day) and forgot to try and find you.

I can answer a few questions about the con that haven't been answered-

This was the second year of AL at CotN. As last year, tickets weren't necessary to play- they tried to accommodate everyone who wanted to play D&D that had (*and* hadn't been able to get) tickets, and I'm not sure if the organizers were aware of how the CotN ticket system works. Probably not, because 6-hour slots were scheduled this year, but 6 hour slots are much different from what the modules actually require. I was asked to help out, when we switched to Warhorn to easier find what adventures were needed, and DMs for those adventures. The announcement was made on the "US Plains" regional Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/DDALUSPlains/), and that is where a lot of the regional AL announcements are made. (I usually post my monthly gamedays on there, as well).

There are several gaming stores with large AL game nights. The Source in Roseville mainly does them on Wednesdays. They are generally pretty full, and usually run the hardcover books(you may be able to join in a table, but I'm not sure how they work that). Village Games in Champlin does them on Saturday nights, and has 2-4 tables, I believe- and you can sign up for games on their Meetup. There is Legion Games in Burnsville, and a few others that I know less about.

The US Plains FB group is a great place to ask questions.

If you have any more questions, just ask! :)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Thank you everyone for the helpful responses.

I also spent a few hours reading up on AL in the wee hours of the morning and discovered the US Plains regional group on Facebook, which led me to Warhorn. So, yes, it seems for the regular AL crowd, there were announcements and such to keep them in the loop. For those of us who came to the events via the Con of the North system, however, it was confusing.

But I want to say one thing, while some things could have been done better to help out us newbies at the Con, I would rather focus on all the things the organizers and DMs did right. First, they really tried to make sure that everyone who wanted to play could. And they seemed to succeed at that. The DMs were flexible and passionate and did a great job. The Epic was a great experience. I can only imagine the amount of work and stress it takes to pull something like that off, but it was really fun and only something you can pull off at a Con.

My one suggestion for AL at the Con is to list an event for each tier in an Epic so you know how many folks of each tier are playing ahead of time. Also, use the Con ticketing system and after those with tickets are seated, accommodate as many of the standbys and non-ticket holders as you can. If Warhorn is required, put the link in the Con event listing, but I imagine it will be ignored by many. Best to use the Con's system if you can.

Despite some confusion at the start of the even, it was still one of my best gaming experiences. Looking forward to playing an epic next year at a higher tier.

Also, I'm going to try DMing some "Take Your Kids to D&D" AL events using the In Volo's Wake mini adventure. After I'm more comfortable with organized play, it might be fun to try to run at the Con next year.

In the meantime, I've sent a request to join the AL Google+ site and joined the Minnesota Adventurer's League meetup. I don't intend to use Facebook, but I'm able to read the page without an account, so that's good.

Anyway, thanks again for your answers and thanks to the organizers and DMs of AL at the Con this past weekend.

Remove ads