D&D 5E Storm King's Thunder [OOC]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm not sure how you are handling shooting into melee, so for now I've played it safe and gone for a target not engaged in melee.

For future reference though, how do you handle it?

There are no penalties for shooting into melee in 5e, except for half cover penalties (+2 AC) from an ally that is in line of fire.

TallIan

Explorer
There are no penalties for shooting into melee in 5e, except for half cover penalties (+2 AC) from an ally that is in line of fire.

+2 AC was what I was tying to avoid.

Exactly what penalties are incurred is up to the DM, so I just thought I'd check. There is also the optional rule of hitting cover, in this case your ally, if you miss by the AC bonus from the cover.

+2 AC was what I was tying to avoid.

Exactly what penalties are incurred is up to the DM, so I just thought I'd check. There is also the optional rule of hitting cover, in this case your ally, if you miss by the AC bonus from the cover.

Sorry for the delay. Shooting into melee had never come up in any of my games before, so I wanted to research it.

I'll do the half cover rule for shooting into melee. The hitting cover rules I'd only use if a villain had an ally/NPC as a human shield.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I am wondering if we can/want to establish some sort of convention for using the Guidance cantrip on skill checks?

Partly due to the pbp medium, it's hard for the cleric to kibitz into a roll that way. Perhaps (with dm's permission) we could say that if Tranio is within 30' and we're not in combat, and a player wants to add a bonus, that you can add a defence to (capital D) Death and take a +1d4 guidance bonus?

I'm happy for Tranio to have that as a standing offer -- if that works for everyone else.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Nope -- same spell. I'm suggesting that if players want my character to cast the spell, that they can (with your permission) puppet my guy to do so (rather than have them ask me, me posting ok, and then them going ahead).

I see I may have been unclear with the 30' -- I really sort of meant "if I'm in the room", ie. that (out of combat) it was a matter of Tranio walking over and casting it.

Trying to make it work in pbp (and confident that most people will forget anyways), but so that I'm not always saying "here have another 1d4 on your skill roll there".

Does that make sense?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Is that "open" sign current? I haven't reached my PBP game capacity yet. If so, any class you'd like me to play?

EDIT: Hmmm... It said open on the app, but not on the computer. I wonder why the app isn't updated. I assume with all these posts, you MUST be full.

Last edited:

TallIan

Explorer
EDIT: Hmmm... It said open on the app, but not on the computer. I wonder why the app isn't updated. I assume with all these posts, you MUST be full.

I've noticed the app doesn't always update the post heading, especially in the summary page, it's caught me out once or twice, but gotten me at least one game.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Remove ads