EONS #46: Trader Captains

New on EONS, the WOIN patreon! #46. Trader Captains. Taking up a career as a trader, merchant, smuggler, or pirate? Then this document is for you! Details on trading rules, cargo types, permits, fuel costs, and more enable you to begin trading right away!

New on EONS, the WOIN patreon! #46. Trader Captains. Taking up a career as a trader, merchant, smuggler, or pirate? Then this document is for you! Details on trading rules, cargo types, permits, fuel costs, and more enable you to begin trading right away!

trade.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That seems to work in iWork Pages!

I hadn't thought ahead to passenger fares yet, but your idea seems very reasonable. I haven't run any numbers, but conceptually it sounds great. Maybe add some kind of adjustment for clandestine passengers who would like to "avoid Imperial entanglements, if you know what I mean". Perhaps they're restricted or illegal, too?

So cabin fare might be in the region of 100 LUX x 15 parsecs x FTL-10 = 1500. Maybe in an AL 10 setting, that might make travel very expensive since ships go 10 times faster and travel much further. Perhaps divide by 10 in an AL 10 setting to represent how trivial the journey is in comparison? I do agree using LUX as a factor is an *excellent* idea.

This is very, very useful.

easl

Explorer
So cabin fare might be in the region of 100 LUX x 15 parsecs x FTL-10 = 1500.

The main thing I thought about when trying to come up with passenger fares is that, if passengers are very very lucrative compared to cargo, nobody would want to run cargo. With the 1%/parsec limit on profit margin, that means a 600 credit/CU good would earn 6 credits/CU/parsec. So I tried to make passenger fares be in the same 1-30 credits/CU/parsec range that most of the cargo falls into. I don't know if that's realistic, but I like systems where the PCs have many equally good options of what to do, so they can pick their own path and not get punished mechanically for it. Making passengers about as profitable as cargo - however unrealistic that might be - does that.

{Edit} Looking at my sheet with fresh eyes, my passenger fare is still too high; it's actually the expected profit from running Fabric x FTL, so probably 5-10 times as profitable in an AL 9 setting, making passengers equivalent to a $1000-$2000 value good or a $500-$1000 value restricted good. That's probably not great, though I could make an argument for calling them "restricted" by saying any passenger ship must be licensed, regularly inspected for heath violations, etc. So I'm thinking the current values probably need to be divided by 2 at least. Dividing by 2, that would make transporting a standard passenger in an adequate luxury FTL 5 ship the equivalent of a 500cr/CU cargo, like raw fuel.{/edit}

In any event, thanks for your feedback and feel free to do whatever you want with it. You are absolutely right that my passenger system would not work for AL10+ ships, though maybe at that point you just drop distance out of the equation and just use luxury and time. And agreed, I didn't take on the issue of illicit passengers.

This is very, very useful.
Well it's a very, very fun system. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads