School specialization for elven wizard?

What would you consider the best school to specialize in for a PHB elven wizard and which school(s) should be dropped? (taking into consideration the elven racial modifiers)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
In terms of power gaming? Eh. Tough call. Elves have a general bent toward spellcasting so you're not looking at a big rift from one school to another. To put it another way: it's six of one, half-dozen of the other.

But I'd pick Divination and drop Enchantment. You get a bonus to resist Enchantment spells, so it isn't like you're lowering your defenses. And Divination is useful for scrying - which you'll be doing a lot of at high levels. If you wanted to cast evocation spells all day long, you should be looking at sorceror and picking divniation means you'll have a lot of the "tools of the trade" memorized.

... of course, with 3.5 right around the corner, who knows what will be useful in the long run?

School specialization for elven wizards?

I am looking closely at two schools right now.

The first is abjuration, because the protective magics would help offset the -2 CON and increase suvival chances at low levels. It also seems like a school many elves would be drawn to.

The other is transmutation, which seems hard to beat for all-around utility.

Jalkain

First Post
Ogre Mage said:
I am looking closely at two schools right now.

The first is abjuration, because the protective magics would help offset the -2 CON and increase suvival chances at low levels. It also seems like a school many elves would be drawn to.

My elven wizard is an abjurer, and I find that being forced to choose at least one protective spell of each level definitely improves my survivability. Stoneskin is perhaps my all time favourite, but Shield, Dispel Magic, Repulsion and Spell Turning have all saved me a few times too.

I've chosen Illusion as my barred school, as I think Enchantment would be a typical elven forte, and less likely to be dropped. And no way could I manage without Divination, so forget losing that and Necromancy.

sithramir

First Post
stoneskin

How do you afford the 250 gp a pop ? Seems to be used rarely by me when I'm a mage as i don'twant to spend that much gold a lot unless I KNOW its going to be a huge help.

Sejs

First Post
I was rather fond of the Spec: Divination / Oppsed: Necromancy one, myself - lots of tactical information, strongly disliked necromancy as nearly all of those spells are involved with destroying or perverting life. Seemed appropriatly elf-ish.

The last character I played like that (I practically never play elves) was obsessed with finding a way to create sort of a positive energy based Life Lich, where their soul was tied to a Tree of Life rather than a phylacrity. Lot of positive energy type conjuration stuff. His philosophy was - what good is a false immortality, where you don't die from old age, but where a single sword stroke or unlucky fall could end your life just as easily? The loss of his wife and son pressed him to that line of research.

Fun character.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Latest elven wizard I built was a Transmuter, opposed to Illusion/Enchantment. It hurt giving up the Hold Person spells, but Evocation and Conjuration seemed too strong to do without.

Generally, though, the rule of thumb is, pick a school where you will want one spell from it at every level. Transmutation is an easy pick.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases