D&D 5E Combat 'minigame' mechanic query

Hey folks!

I'm a first-time DM prepping for his game early next month. I was considering adding the following mechanic to one of the encounters. Let me know if it sounds fun/gimmicky/tedious.

Context/setup: the players meet a wiry, old soldier--Don Raul--in their travels who's looking for his donkey, Dabble. He seems a little off-kilter, but (hopefully) they allow him to follow them.

Later that night, they encounter a bunch of wolves and worgs. Don Raul, in full senile bravado, charges headlong into a warg but gets tossed aside into a thicket of vines.

THE MINIGAME

Raul has no movement, but has freed his arms enough to be able to throw stones at the wolves. At the bottom of initiative, Don Raul throws a stone at the closest target within reach (+2 to hit; 1d4 bludgeoning). As a bonus action, you can give Don Raul some verbal or visual queue to direct his attack at a specific target and give him advantage on his roll.

You can also plea Don Raul for help.As a bonus action, you call for help and Don Raul will use his action to throw an item from his inventory. As a reaction, make a DC 13 DEX Saving throw. On a failed save, the item smashes on the ground. On a success, you catch the item.
As a bonus action, you call for help and Don Raul will use his action to throw an item from his inventory. As a reaction, make a DC 13 DEX Saving throw. On a failed save, the item smashes on the ground. On a success, you catch the item.

If Don Raul hears multiple commands, he will follow the one given most recently.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Sounds fine to me. Especially if it's just a one-time thing. If I were a player, though, I don't know if it would occur to me to ask him for help.

Remove ads