Essentials : What to Use and What to Lose? Can of Worms

Marshall

First Post
And Swodmages don't NEED to make melee attacks. Shielding Swodmages especially can be optimised for implement attacks only...

I am pretty sure it was worked out so they didnt have that issue

Wee warrior gives them a reach of 1 instead of 00

I picture it as darting attacks AND would have called it that explicitly ;)

(AND it does incorporate a few other negative stuff)

Yeah, I don't remember exactly all of what it does, but you're still restricted, at best, to lower damage weapons. Its not the worst thing EVER, but there's just no reason to endure it, and your stats don't do you any real favors either.

And Swodmages don't NEED to make melee attacks. Shielding Swodmages especially can be optimised for implement attacks only...

Well, they CAN make all implement attacks, but its nice to have OAs too. Anyway, you'd never play anything EXCEPT shielding, unless you're a masochist. The other two Aegis are basically utterly worthless, unless you're a hybrid, in which case the offensive version can be interesting.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, I don't remember exactly all of what it does, but you're still restricted, at best, to lower damage weapons. Its not the worst thing EVER, but there's just no reason to endure it, and your stats don't do you any real favors either.
It does have what I would call halfling weapon die sizes

Tony Vargas

Legend
It does have what I would call halfling weapon die sizes
Apropos of nothing, I rather liked how 3.0 (specifically, not 3.5) handled different-sized creatures & weapons.

Essentials made the Rapier martial, and it's a one-handed weapon, so small melee types that aren't doing the two handed thing are barely at a disadvantage at all, that way - squeezing out every last point of average damage isn't top priority for a defender, anyway. I do not remember which Aegis he had, either. :shrug:

(And, at that point in the campaign, with the Goliath fighter's player having moved to one of the Dakotas, any defender was very welcome, indeed...)

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
Well, they CAN make all implement attacks, but its nice to have OAs too. Anyway, you'd never play anything EXCEPT shielding, unless you're a masochist. The other two Aegis are basically utterly worthless, unless you're a hybrid, in which case the offensive version can be interesting.

This will sound ridiculous, but I actually like Ensnaring better than Shielding in practical play. And that's in part because of how an optimized Swordmage works(Booming Blade Catch-22+as many immediates as you can get)

Basically, you aren't using your aegis unless there's some great benefit you're getting. And the choice is then either:
Move away from your Booming Blade target = bad
Heal some damage
Forcibly yank an enemy that attacked a friend next to the Booming Blade target to be in burst 1 position unless your Booming Blade target moves away from you.

I like that last benefit the most. And Ensnaring Bolts+Fettering Aegis+Dimensional Vortex make fro a really good combo with White Lotus Riposte+White Lotus Master Riposte...Rose King's Shield is actually a solid feat in that context - generating 10-20 temp hp per round if you keep hitting.

Remove ads