"Dust" and "Midway" - Codenames for Upcoming D&D Hardcovers

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Typically the September release has been an adventure, and the November release a rules book (Sword Coast Adventurers Guide; Volo's Guide to Monsters). WotC has been hinting at a "major rules expansion" for a while now.

My guess? Take it with a massive truckload of salt, but I'm going to guess that Dust is fey or fey wild related. Possible the thing Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped with. But it really is a wild guess.

"Dust"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 19 September 2017
9780786966103, 0786966106
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

"Midway"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 21 November 2017
9780786966110, 0786966114
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

Ampersand Transparent.png

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

Just to add this in, but over on the AL sub-forum, a couple of the people in charge of that have said that the season tied to Yawning Portal is short because the one that comes after it will be extra long and bigger and more exciting, not remembering the exact wording right now. But that makes me think that the Fall adventure will be the one that finally goes to a different world. My guess is a Planescape/Sigil adventure and sourcebook.

Mercurius

Legend
Like FallenAkriel said, "midway" could represent halfway between PHB2 and DMG2.

The WW 2 reference is interesting. Maybe it focuses on Sigil being attacked by some kind of extraplanar group (githyanki?). But I just don't see how it won't be a rules expansion book, so probably not.

Regardless, whatever the next story arc is, it is most likely "Dust" and it most likely employs psionics and mystics. So even if it isn't Dark Sun but instead a reboot of Desert of Desolation, I'm guessing they re-skin it a bit with Dark Sun flavorings and a heavily mystic feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nickolaidas

Explorer
Please let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark SunPlease let it be Dark Sun Please let it be Dark Sun

Mercurius

Legend
For a second I was convinced I stumbled upon what "midway" means. I thought Mearls said at one point that they had the first seven years of story arcs planned, which would have put November 2017 approximately "midway" between July of 2014 (Starter Set) and Spring of 2021 (end of seven years of 5E). But then I looked at the release schedule page, and the quote from Mearls was that they had the story arcs planned out through 2018, not seven years, so I think I mis-remembered. Oh well - it was a good try, I think ;).

lkj

Hero
Oh sure - it was the start in FR then switch to Ravenloft (just because) that was the bodgy part.

Don't have my book with me. But pretty sure they just gave several options for how to get a party to Ravenloft. Not having some of those options tie in with FR would have been odd. The adventure doesn't substantially start in FR unless you want it to.

AD

Zardnaar

Legend
Midway will be a naval themed AP with quasi magical aircraft carriers launching Dragons. The climax will be a battler out near Evermeet with the Kara Tur Fleet defeated!!!.

Calling it now.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads