D&D 5E Monster Workbench Mobile Now on Android!

Alright, got the app to try it out.

Thoughts
1) Paladin and Ranger both have spells listed up to level 9, even though they cannot get higher than 5. Not a real issue, just something you might be able to clean up.

2) The brushed steel looks fine, and is perfectly serviceable. The only reason one might change it is for aesthetic purposes.

3) On functionality, it works fine. One quibble, personally, is that you have attack Bonus listed in the key as "Battk1", making it read in my mind as "Bonus attack". Maybe I am alone on that, so you will want other opinions on it, but you might want to think about changing it to "AttkB1", or you could assume they understand that the attack bonus goes with the attack of the bar it is in, and just have it say "AtkBns".

4) If you do decide to change the background in other areas of the app, I would keep the brushed steel pattern to put in the equipment section, as that would give a very "Anvil" feel, which seems appropriate, rather than the flat black behind the wood design. You might even go a step further (forgive me for offering you more work) and have a different background for different areas of the app. So, the magic area could be a leather pattern, like a spell tome, while the monster area is stone, and the equipment area is metal. Just aesthetic thoughts though, I am thinking aloud in case you like the ideas. I do know enough, in my tiny amount of experience, to know that changing any of these things would require minor adjustments to other pieces of the same area though, to make them stand out properly against brown/red rather than grey, so I do understand that I am talking about a lot of work for minor benefits.

5) If the SRD permits it (not familiar with it personally, so I don't know) You might want to include some essential rules for some of the equipment, like a note on what the Range increments for the ranged weapons mean. If the SRD does not permit that, nevermind.

6) Lastly, the spells say "See Sourcebook" for parts of them. Does the SRD prevent you from telling what page, as you did the monsters? That would be a nice bit to have, as finding spells tends to be the most annoying part, and one of the main reasons I would want an app like this.

Altogether, it is certainly a nice app, and beyond my capabilities to produce. If you had not specifically asked for constructive advice, I would probably not have mentioned any of this, as I feel a bit dickish for telling you to "fix" things that I have no idea how to do myself. Best of luck, and I look forward to continuing to use it. :D

EDIT: On a personal note, I feel a bit like a Champion Fighter telling the Wizard that the Fireball would be so much cooler if he made it green instead of red.

First off thank you everyone for all your feedback, I def have some tweaking to do and will need to think about how I am going to do the backgrounds.

1) I will def fix that in the next update.

3) You are the first person to mention this to me. It is an easy fix and will be in the next update.

5) Unfortunately, The equipment details in the app are everything allowed in the SRD.

6) I used Pg. (page) instead of Source for spells, I should probably change it to source.

You are in no way being rude. Constructive feedback is how we make things better I really appreciate it.

Lanliss

Explorer
First off thank you everyone for all your feedback, I def have some tweaking to do and will need to think about how I am going to do the backgrounds.

1) I will def fix that in the next update.

3) You are the first person to mention this to me. It is an easy fix and will be in the next update.

5) Unfortunately, The equipment details in the app are everything allowed in the SRD.

6) I used Pg. (page) instead of Source for spells, I should probably change it to source.

You are in no way being rude. Constructive feedback is how we make things better I really appreciate it.

Ah, I see where the spells say the page, sorry for that. I tend to skim read, so all I saw was the later bits on spells like Prismatic Spray, where it says "See sourcebook", so I forgot to actually look anywhere else for an actual page. My bad.

Have a big patch coming later this week, with alot of GUI updates, and characters section. Thanks for all the suggestions. Also it is now out on Windows Store.

Lanliss

Explorer
Hey everyone, was wondering if I could get any feedback on the update for the app.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late reply, had some things getting in the way of checking it out again. I like it a lot, particularly the spell area. I do have a couple of notes.

In the monster area, when you click on the view legend key, then back out of it, it sends you to the Aboleth page, no matter what monster you were looking at.

In the Characters section, with the Races and classes, the ink spatter behind the names makes them a little hard to read. If they happen to be on a different layer, might I suggest making the spatter red? It is still readable for me, but that might be a bias from already knowing what they say. A new player grabbing the app for convenience might have more trouble.

I really like the skills descriptions, they should help out when a player wants to make a case for using an alternate skill in a check, or when a DM isn't quite sure what to call for.

I assume you meant for the & symbol to be in the shop for Poisons & toxins, and Tools & Kits, but it isn't showing up for me. It is just a box.

Also, a purely subjective thing, it might be cool to have a description of the Instruments in the equipment section. Most people going for an instrument have an idea in their head like "Horn blower" or "String instruments", so actually seeing a small flavorful description on the instruments might help a bard pick those other two instruments they can have.

Sorry for the late reply, had some things getting in the way of checking it out again. I like it a lot, particularly the spell area. I do have a couple of notes.

In the monster area, when you click on the view legend key, then back out of it, it sends you to the Aboleth page, no matter what monster you were looking at.

In the Characters section, with the Races and classes, the ink spatter behind the names makes them a little hard to read. If they happen to be on a different layer, might I suggest making the spatter red? It is still readable for me, but that might be a bias from already knowing what they say. A new player grabbing the app for convenience might have more trouble.

I really like the skills descriptions, they should help out when a player wants to make a case for using an alternate skill in a check, or when a DM isn't quite sure what to call for.

I assume you meant for the & symbol to be in the shop for Poisons & toxins, and Tools & Kits, but it isn't showing up for me. It is just a box.

Also, a purely subjective thing, it might be cool to have a description of the Instruments in the equipment section. Most people going for an instrument have an idea in their head like "Horn blower" or "String instruments", so actually seeing a small flavorful description on the instruments might help a bard pick those other two instruments they can have.

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your invaluable feedback. I have sent you a private message on here I would like you to look at.

The monster details screen I am in the process of re-doing. I am not happy that there is a legend. Just seems like extra work for some GUI that isn't even that attractive. It will be updated in the next patch.

I will look into color palette options for this and see if it looks better with some changes or at least easier to read.

The & symbol missing is not your phone. I used a text to graphic font and & does not exist in its portfolio. While it is a tad annoying, I really liked the font. :)

A description of the instruments is a really cool idea and would take very little work, great idea! I will add it to the next patch.

Thank you again for all your feedback. I made this app for you guys and to teach myself how to build mobile apps. Any more feedback from anyone is much appreciated.

Remove ads