D&D 4E Get WotC 4e's Online Character Builder to work or get a sub

spiteski

Villager
Then you are clearly using an older version of Firefox. Silverlight support was removed starting from version 25.0.

The version I am on is apparently 52.02 and it's working for me right now?

Also, glad that you all who want DDI found out about that link. :) It's pretty handy to still be able to sign up/reactivate when you need to.

That's... strange. Mybe I've been misinterpreting something, but here's the announcement I've been referring to (I see, I wrote version '25', but I really meant version '52'):
Firefox Silverlight Support

I thought 25 sounded a little off, that version was a couple years back. FF only recently cut off support for old style NS plugins. Chrome never really supported them, and IE probably will never STOP supporting them (but Edge doesn't do plugins at all). I never understood WotC's decision to use Silverlight, which was basically already being phased out by MS when they started using it. I guess it was just based on having a crapton of existing C# code they thought they could reuse. I doubt it did them much good. Admittedly the 2010 era web application landscape was a lot harsher than it is now. You could actually build a very good CB these days online if you knew what you were doing. Not so much back then. (IE Angular, React, lots of server-side rendering, spin it up in AWS or Azure and run it under Cloud Foundry or something like that).

MwaO

Adventurer
I thought 25 sounded a little off, that version was a couple years back. FF only recently cut off support for old style NS plugins. Chrome never really supported them, and IE probably will never STOP supporting them (but Edge doesn't do plugins at all). I never understood WotC's decision to use Silverlight, which was basically already being phased out by MS when they started using it. I guess it was just based on having a crapton of existing C# code they thought they could reuse. I doubt it did them much good. Admittedly the 2010 era web application landscape was a lot harsher than it is now. You could actually build a very good CB these days online if you knew what you were doing. Not so much back then. (IE Angular, React, lots of server-side rendering, spin it up in AWS or Azure and run it under Cloud Foundry or something like that).

Being phased out by MS = unemployed Silverlight programmers...

MwaO

Adventurer
Btw, if someone manages to get a new subscription in the way listed with the link, please say so. It will help other people realize that they can do it too.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Btw, if someone manages to get a new subscription in the way listed with the link, please say so. It will help other people realize that they can do it too.
I went through the mandatory BS to get a new Wizards account and what ammounts to a new sub, yes. So did one of my players, whose CB hadn't worked in months, and she's got it working again.

Last edited:

Just FYI: I followed the link provided, entered my old username and password. I was able to re-establish my DnD Insider account with full access to all components. Thank you!

I know this is a very old post, but i'm curious if anyone in this thread ever did their own compendium site.

I did back in 2010ish i believe, and it is quite old and dated and not updated with anything after summer 2010, but it exists. I only got to play 4E a handful of times but i *REALLY* enjoyed what i got to play and decided that having access to my own compendium was worth it. I don't remember the details of how i got the files to install to my web server though, and i suppose it is possible that they were from darkside sources at the time (edit: yup, the copyright info at the bottom was replaced so this definitely had to be from someplace other than freely given by WotC).

Anyway, what i have loads and USED to work well, but now nothing loads in any browser. I wonder if it is even worthwhile to salvage this thing or if i should just scrap it.

Remove ads