How long is a long time ago, and how far is far, far away?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How about a Canadian stating that he had Cuban government workers visit who were confused as to why they couldn't spend the morning in Niagara Falls and the afternoon in Montreal?

Were they intellectually impaired? Or were they children? How on earth could somebody not understand basic geography? It's not rocket science! I guess if they were just kids that might help explain it, but otherwise it's quite inane.

Ryujin

Legend
Well for "A long time ago" we would have to go back to something pre-Cylon Earth, so 5000+ years ago. "...in a galaxy far, far away" is a little tougher, since hyperdrive works at the speed of plot. If they have several movies to work through on the trip, it's galaxies away. If they can get here in a single scene, it's Polaris.

Ryujin

Legend
Were they intellectually impaired? Or were they children? How on earth could somebody not understand basic geography? It's not rocket science! I guess if they were just kids that might help explain it, but otherwise it's quite inane.

They were political appointees in their 30s and 40s. I suppose the "political appointee" part answers your question.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well for "A long time ago" we would have to go back to something pre-Cylon Earth, so 5000+ years ago. "...in a galaxy far, far away" is a little tougher, since hyperdrive works at the speed of plot. If they have several movies to work through on the trip, it's galaxies away. If they can get here in a single scene, it's Polaris.

I dunno - its not like they have to travel here. They stay within their own galaxy a long way away, wherever that is.

Well, except for at the end of Empire Strikes Back where they stand looking out of a window at the entire galaxy from outside it.

jA0H0.jpg

Ryujin

Legend
You'd have thought government workers would be more informed, not less. Ah well!

The leader of the delegation was seemed to be far more interested in finding a Harley Davidson dealership than he was in discussing trade, at the time, so that might give you an idea about where their heads were.

I dunno - its not like they have to travel here. They stay within their own galaxy a long way away, wherever that is.

Well, except for at the end of Empire Strikes Back where they stand looking out of a window at the entire galaxy from outside it.

View attachment 82750

If "far, far away" isn't in relation to the viewer, us, presumably on Earth, then the term would be rather meaningless ;)

We're talking at least another galaxy so I guess the question is, (speed of plot) "Is it a single movie or multi-movie distance away?" Since the plot of 7 movies hasn't brought them anywhere near us yet, I would say, "far, far away" is indeed very very far away. Like 'the other side of the universe' far away, as we don't seem to enter into the plot at all.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If "far, far away" isn't in relation to the viewer, us, presumably on Earth, then the term would be rather meaningless ;)

We're talking at least another galaxy so I guess the question is, (speed of plot) "Is it a single movie or multi-movie distance away?" Since the plot of 7 movies hasn't brought them anywhere near us yet, I would say, "far, far away" is indeed very very far away. Like 'the other side of the universe' far away, as we don't seem to enter into the plot at all.

I don't really understand what you're getting at. They don't travel between galaxies in Star Wars - they just stay in the one galaxy. Which is far, far away.

It can be far, far away without them having to travel here.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't really understand what you're getting at. They don't travel between galaxies in Star Wars - they just stay in the one galaxy. Which is far, far away.

It can be far, far away without them having to travel here.

Clearly my joke based on "speed of plot" has fallen flat, so I'll give up.

Remove ads