D&D 5E Theurging up some theurgy with a Theurgist...for the theurst time.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I am beginning play in a homebrewed 5e campaign on Sunday. Very excited about it.

After kicking around character concepts for a week or so, from straight up mage[wizard] to druid to knowledge cleric [as a thaumaturgic sage-like ceremonial magician type caster) to diviner to fae tome warlock back to straight up mage...

I had/have settled in to a character concept based on NPCs from my own homebrew world, a ye olde "cleric/magic-user" type, known as the "Witch-Priests of Manat" [that world's goddess of magic].

Coincidentally, even serendipitously, UA came out with a "Theurgy" wizard tradition. I am not sure the DM would permit UA's use (he probably would, he's pretty open about stuff), but he did initially say PCs that "can be made from the PHB." I don't even really want to use the UA's. Just thought it was funny it came out at the same time.

We're starting at 1st level...and I am curious how folks think, or would best go about, constructing a novitiate wizard-type of an Arcane magic god/goddess order ...WITHOUT using the UA Arcana Domain cleric OR the Theurgy Tradition wizard.

Can a "Diviner" (once I get to 2nd level) mage pull this off with an Acolyte background...maybe pick up Magic Initiate for some cleric spells later, though I'm not sure if we're even using the Feats...I despise them, but if the DM says they're a go, I'll use them. Same with Multiclassing. Not sure if we're doing that or not, but I'd rather not MC even if its allowed.

What're some ideas for pulling this off with at least a minimum of crunch to back up the backstory/RPGing fluff of being a religiously-devoted arcane caster?

Theurge me!

Last edited:

seebs

Adventurer
Look I don't even have an opinion, but I gave you five stars for the title.

I'd say you could do it pretty well with diviner and magic initiate (cleric). Or... Just don't even have actual clerical abilities, and just do it purely as a reskin of wizard. You just explain it as flavor that your spells are "actually obtained through study of theology". That they happen to be the same spells wizards might produce is irrelevant. (For extra credit, restrict yourself to spells from the overlap of cleric and wizard lists. There's a fair number.)

Also to consider: lore-college bard, with even heavier reskinning. bardic inspiration -> prayer.

thethain

First Post
I would probably start with a variant human, picking up the Magic initiate cleric for thaumatergy (rp) and guidance (rp and thematically similar to divination) maybe grabbing bless for the 1/day spell as it too is a bit like adjusting fate in your favor (and is a powerful spell even if only 1/day).

Acolyte or Hermit background would work, hermit specifically gives you knowledge of some secret you gained from your study.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Um. ". . . without using the UA Arcana Domain cleric. . . "

Go with a published source instead of UA: The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide [SCAG] has a published Arcana Domain cleric. (I realize that might be a distinction without a difference, but you did say. . . .)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Oh, right, yes. I meant the SCAG/knew there was a published one.

But, yes, "distinction without a difference."

1. It's [still] not the PHB.
2. [not that this matters as much] We're not playing in FR.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I think wizard with acolyte or hermit background (depending on how your god is typically worshiped in the setting) is all you really need to convey the concept. Divination is a good choice of school as oracles are often associated with divine gift (Apollo comes to mind).

You could also ask your DM about using a holy symbol as your arcane focus, or having your god somehow represented in your arcane focus. A staff topped with a holy symbol could work, or an amulet with your god's symbol and an arcane crystal embedded in it.

Spell choice will depend on how the gods operate in your setting. You might want to choose spells that incapacitate without harming your target (sleep, web) or if your gods are of the angry variety, lots of fire and lightning spells.

Remove ads