Modiphius 2d20 Conan Question

Water Bob

Adventurer
I know the Modiphius guys prowl these woods, and I have a question for them.

I'm looking at the new Conan game, and I saw that Cimmerian is considered a language that is commonly spoken during the Hyborian Age. My eyes got a little wide at that, as the game is touted as being written by Conan scholars.

I've read the Howard stories more than once, and the Cimmerian language doesn't seem to be all that common at all. In fact, it seems very uncommon. In some stories (I wasn't it Queen of the Black Coast?), Cimmerians are thought of in mythic terms, where people aren't even sure if they exist.

So, my question, why did you guys list the Cimmerian language as one of those commonly spoken during the Hyborian Age?

Caliburn101

Explorer
I know the Modiphius guys prowl these woods, and I have a question for them.

I'm looking at the new Conan game, and I saw that Cimmerian is considered a language that is commonly spoken during the Hyborian Age. My eyes got a little wide at that, as the game is touted as being written by Conan scholars.

I've read the Howard stories more than once, and the Cimmerian language doesn't seem to be all that common at all. In fact, it seems very uncommon. In some stories (I wasn't it Queen of the Black Coast?), Cimmerians are thought of in mythic terms, where people aren't even sure if they exist.

So, my question, why did you guys list the Cimmerian language as one of those commonly spoken during the Hyborian Age?

Common to where I guess... and thus. although somewhat imprecise, it is right to say it's commonly spoken... in Cimmeria! :p

Water Bob

Adventurer
Common to where I guess... and thus. although somewhat imprecise, it is right to say it's commonly spoken... in Cimmeria! :p

That can be said of any language. The Vilayet argot is listed as an obscure, regional tongue, but among those who speak it, it's commonly spoken!

I must not be understanding the intent of the language sidebar on page 70.

Remove ads