Highly Roleplay, low "roll the dice" RPG

Lylandra

Adventurer
Thank you for your answers.

It was more or less the one I was waiting for. I will try to convince my friend to give it a try.
I do not have a group of players who are really into "Roleplay" so I'm not used to. Let me know if there is another game that "reward" (Not the word I'm looking for but...) roleplaying.

I have to sell that to my friend : You can use Dungeons and dragons... Without rolling dice for walking, swimming in 10 cm of water or even breathing. (Roll for your breath. 1. You forgot to breath. You are dead.)

I think asking which version of D&D is best for that... 5E seems to be more light than 3.5 or even Pathfinder, which I'm not familiar with.

:D

If you want to stick with D&D, and are relatively new to it, I'd recommend 5e, despite my miniscule experience with the system.

3.5/Pathfinder is great and offers a large amount of options, but newer players can get overwhelmed by all the classes and choices and customization options very quickly.
4e needs a lot of care in order to not drift to a very gamey playstyle. The combat system is great (in my opinion), but it takes a large amount of game time and book space.
5e offers a bit more laissez-faire rules and a generally lighter system. But the RAW options are not as broad as in previous editions.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Even if you decide to go with 5e I would recommend taking Dungeon World for a spin sometime on an off night when when you would just play board games or whatever. The first session can be run with no prep, everything is pretty straightforward, and the game works pretty well in groups as small as two players.

If you have never run a game before it is imminently helpful in getting started. It provides guidance for your first session and beyond that should lead to functional play. I would also strongly urge you to pick up the Moldvay Edit of B/X. At $5 on drivethru it's a steal. It's a different sort of play, but extremely simple to run and play if you just follow along with the text. Moldvay B/X is one of most clear, concise, and informative texts in the history of roleplaying games. Even if you end up running a 5e game the wealth of information about running a game

Last edited:

Ednoc

Explorer
Thank you, all of you !

I must have been unclear, my apologies for that : I'm not a "real" beginner, if you want. I'm mastering D&D for something like six years. (It's not THAT much when I come here, with a lot of people who are 40+ and playing for something like twenty years or more...)

BUT I really appreciate all your advices, since there is always something interesting to know, even if it's basic.

And my friend is not a beginner either. I just wanted to know if there is some fantasy settings, who are less rolling dependant than D&D, for us to play with.

And yes, you guys are right. You can play with more or less chek roll, be more roleplay since your playstyle will define really what you need.

I'm going to give a look at Dungeon World and B/X. :)

Remove ads