Servants of a Sapphire Hierarch

Particle_Man

Explorer
Sapphire Hierarchs are listed in Magic of Incarnum. Among the fluff is the idea that they have some servants attached to them via the cult (these are lawful characters - fighters, monks, wizards, soulborn, clerics, incarnates, etc.).

So I was wondering what sort of adventures would be suitable for a party of these lawful (really, really Lawful) followers. On the one hand, there needs to be a reason why their boss doesn't just step in and solve their problem. On the other, he could be a source of magic items for them (if a crafter - I might let the party have cheap/free axiomatic weapons at a certain level).

One idea is that the party might be assigned to keep the peace in a town (so non-lethal damage, intimidation, non-lethal spells, etc.) while the boss crafts a magic weapon for the sheriff (so is too busy to keep the peace).

Eventually the party might be tough enough to accompany their boss to fight slaadi and the like.

Anyhow, I was just wondering what people's thoughts would be on how to run a themed campaign like this. Assuming I can get player buy-in, of course.

cimbrog

Explorer
A recurring adventure would be investigating cults or organizations to see if they are chaotic and worth the Hierarch's time. Sometimes it's a chaos cult and the adventure ends with the boss swooping into take down the enemy boss. Sometimes it's a chaotic organization that they can handle themselves. Sometimes they're evil but not chaotic... and the Sapphire Eidolon says to leave them alone. What then?

Finding powerful chaotic artifacts and bringing them back to the boss to be destroyed.

Give the boss some flaws, like an unreasonable hatred or suspicion of a race or group, so that the party sometimes has to take care of things that they know the boss would mishandle or handle poorly.

Strange orders from the Sapphire Eidolon itself that either sideline the boss or involve doing things he'd rather not do himself. "The Eidolon has ordered each Hierarch to bring it 1000 blue gems. *sigh* Could you guys..."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases