What are you reading [Apr 2017]?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So after all my angst about the book I was reading, I got into the endgame and the novel really came together. Oh, and the protagonist showed "D&D sensibilities" and got nipped when he didn't follow them. Done in a wonderfully "they're trying to kill me, but they aren't bad guys" ambiguous way.

So I've moved onto The Fifth Season and two pages into it I was already loving it. There are many ways to do foreshadowing with a brick, most of them are bad. This ... this was the exception. In spades. And not for nothing, tossed off more throw away (or are they?) concepts in the first 30 pages then many authors have in their entire setting. I really, really hope it carries through; I've got high hopes this will be a fantastic book.

Elodan

Adventurer
I read the first Alex Verus book by Benedict Jacka and liked it. Good but not fantastic, but I'm willing to give a series a book to really get in it's groove. Especially urban fantasy - I enjoy the genre but it feels like gems are harder to come by so I'll hunt them down a bit harder. I went to order the second and it had an "order 2, 3 & 4" at a good price, so I picked them all up. (Woo, D&D 5e slow publication schedule means more money in the hobby budget for fiction!)

I'm half way through the second one and have not been making meaningful progress. I expected as a series the second book to try and expand the world, but so far it looks like (very) unlikely coincidences to involve almost all the same players as the first book. It's building on their relationship in good ways, but it's really stretching the imagination that some are involved at all.

As well I have problems with the consistency of the title character's use of magic, using it one scene to do X, and then another scene completely forgetting it can do X and ruminating that he wished he had a way to do it.

But at other times it's got some great bits.

So I'm trying to power through so that the setup for book 3 (and then book 4) is intact but letting me switch to the other books as next on my list.

I've read the first seven books of this series and plan on picking up the eight shortly. Overall, I've really liked this series but there are times where it feels like not much is happening to move things forward. I remember feeling that way for most of the third book and almost giving up the series. Things pick up with the fourth book.

I finished Matt Colville's Priest and ended up liking it a lot. I picked up the Thief of Kindle and plan on starting it tonight.

I usually read a RPG or SQL / Database development book at the same time (these are downstairs reading whereas novels are upstairs reading). Trying to pick what's next from a fairly large pile of each.

Last edited:

Blue

I usually read a RPG or SQL / Database development book at the same time (these are downstairs reading whereas novels are upstairs reading). Trying to pick what's next from a fairly large pile of each.

O'Reilly. Always O'Reilly. ;)

Finished my re-read of Fritz Leiber’s Swords Against Death. Still as fun as the first time. I love the understated worldbuilding – for example, they never explain why the Day of the Toad is an inauspicious day, it just is. There’s an evocative economy of description at work. Also, D&D has so much of Fafhrd and Grey Mouser in its DNA.

Now I’m onto something much more recent, The Paper Magician.

Zoey141

First Post
I recently finished reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. No wonder the book is a classic. I absolutely loved the emotional complexity the protagonist - Hester - deals with and all the trials and tribulations she's subject to. I wanted to read another classic, but it will take a while for me to get over The Scarlet Letter. Meanwhile, I'm planning to re-read Agatha Christie's
The Mysterious Affair at Styles. I read this one back when I was at high school and for some strange reason, I don't remember what it is about (that hardly happens with me. I don't easily forget a story). It's the beginning of Hercule Poirot's career and I don't know why I don't remember it. I read the synopsis the other day, but still couldn't remember a thing! That prompted me to pick it up again.

Richards

Legend
I just finished The Ronin's Mistress, a retelling of the "47 Ronin" legend rolled into the Sano Ichiro detective fiction series. Next up is The Incense Game, the last Sano Ichiro book I have on hand - then I guess I'll have to branch out for a bit.

Johnathan

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, I finished 'Light' by M. John Harrison, and if you've read my previous post you won't be surprised I didn't feel it's been worth my time.
It just fails in every conceivable way: The future's like a Tom & Jerry cartoon, except with more gore. The story turns out to be similar to 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', except without the humor. The action is like 'Pulp Fiction', except it's lacking intriguing characters and witty dialogues. The writing seems imitiative of 'William Gibson', except it's got no style.
The author even fails to create his anagrams correctly. Sheesh! What an annoying mess of a novel.

I'm still too annoyed by it to pick my next novel to read...

Blue

Just finished "The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin.

DAAAAAY-UM.

I don't even want to gush about parts that were good because I wouldn't want to spoil anything for anyone else just coming into it.

This has catapulted onto my favorites list, which is a pretty high bar. Must go get more by her.

Finished The Paper Magician. Loved it. It was tightly written, with engaging characters, interesting magic, and a strongly cinematic feel. I checked and sure enough, Disney has optioned it for a movie.

Now I’m finally daring that re-read of Gene Wolfe’s Shadow & Claw.

Remove ads