Elite: Dangerous or No Man's Sky?

Jhaelen

First Post
Imho, they're two completely different games.

'No Man's Sky' is a more like a piece of art than an actual game. I think, it should mostly appeal to players who enjoyed 'Shadow of the Colossus' or other titles from Fumio Ueda.

'Elite: Dangerous' is the MMO version and a technical update of 'Elite: Frontier'. So, it should appeal to Elite fans, obviously.

And 'Star Citizen'? Knowing Chris Robert's megalomania, this game will never be finished. Sink money in it, if you have to, but don't expect to get much out of it.

Goodsport

Explorer
Imho, they're two completely different games.

'No Man's Sky' is a more like a piece of art than an actual game. I think, it should mostly appeal to players who enjoyed 'Shadow of the Colossus' or other titles from Fumio Ueda.

'Elite: Dangerous' is the MMO version and a technical update of 'Elite: Frontier'. So, it should appeal to Elite fans, obviously.

And 'Star Citizen'? Knowing Chris Robert's megalomania, this game will never be finished. Sink money in it, if you have to, but don't expect to get much out of it.

Thank you for the info, Jhaelen. :)

BTW, is EVE Online also worth a mention in this discussion or is that an entirely different type of game altogether? :confused:

-G

MarkB

Legend
No Man's Sky has massive scope, but very little depth of gameplay. It was panned on release due to under-delivering on features, but has recently received a couple of fairly major content patches. I got quite a few hours of gameplay out of it when it was first released before getting bored, and can't say I didn't get my money's worth. I haven't played it since then, so I don't know whether the updates correct its issues.

Elite Dangerous does a much better job of simulating a living galaxy, and it helps that it's our galaxy, reasonably well modeled. It is very much a case of making your own fun, but there's a lot to work with and I got several months of gameplay out of it before I got bored, then went back a year later and got several more decent weeks' worth of play.

It suffers from a fairly brutal multiplayer scene, without any real policing if your preference is just to play co-operatively, and even years after release it remains constantly a work-in-progress, with features that were originally promised in the kickstarter still being incrementally introduced.

BTW, is EVE Online also worth a mention in this discussion or is that an entirely different type of game altogether? :confused:

-G

EVE online takes a somewhat different approach, with a lot of things to micromanage. Its combat style is more like that of traditional MMOs, and whilst it is possible to become heavily invested in its universe, getting the most out of it requires you to play it more like a job than a game. I only played it for a few weeks way back in the day, but I don't think the gameplay has changed significantly over the years.

EVE online takes a somewhat different approach, with a lot of things to micromanage. Its combat style is more like that of traditional MMOs, and whilst it is possible to become heavily invested in its universe, getting the most out of it requires you to play it more like a job than a game. I only played it for a few weeks way back in the day, but I don't think the gameplay has changed significantly over the years.

Also not so much a learning curve as a learning cliff.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Also not so much a learning curve as a learning cliff.

jj16ThL.jpg

I believe you mean this?

Janx

Hero
I so want Elite Dangerous on PSVR.

I think it had Occculus support on PC, so that's not a far stretch.

I liked the idea of Elite, but I didn't have the time to play on xbox. It just felt like a game you needed to plan routes, commodity purchases and uninterupted time. Too easy to get called away to get something off the top shelf and ganked.

cmad1977

Hero
Played Elite on Xbox for a while. It's cool-ish. My problem with it is that, for a multiplayer game where you fly spaceships with friends, it feels like a single player game.
God forbid you and your friends aren't in the same system.
Takes forever to get together and do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases