D&D 5E Misty Step in manacles?

GlassJaw

Hero
If a character casts Misty Step while in manacles (verbal only spell), what happens? Do they teleport with the manacles on? Or do they drop to the ground?

What if the character is chained to a wall?

pukunui

Legend
Chris Perkins provided an answer to your second question a while back:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Croesus

Adventurer
Note, Perkins' response is to the OP's second question, not the first one.

I would allow misty step to escape a grapple, manacled to a wall, etc. as those are things you can't misty step with. (You can't take another creature, and the wall manacles are not things that you are holding, like a weapon or staff.) However, if you are manacled, ala handcuffs, then I would have the manacles go with the character, just like his clothes, equipment, etc. do.

Other folks may read the spell differently, but that would be my ruling.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
The spell doesn't specify. Personally I think the way that makes the most sense is that the caster chooses what teleports with them.

Lanliss

Explorer
The spell doesn't specify. Personally I think the way that makes the most sense is that the caster chooses what teleports with them.

cue DM saying "You didn't specify you wanted your Staff to teleport with you". I think the way that makes the most sense is as [MENTION=35019]Croesus[/MENTION] put it above. If the manacles can't move, you escape them. If they can, they travel with you.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
cue DM saying "You didn't specify you wanted your Staff to teleport with you". I think the way that makes the most sense is as [MENTION=35019]Croesus[/MENTION] put it above. If the manacles can't move, you escape them. If they can, they travel with you.

To be fair, I never said chooses aloud. It seems a safe assumption that the caster chooses to bring any possessions they don't specifically say they would like not to take.

Oofta

Legend
Note, Perkins' response is to the OP's second question, not the first one.

I would allow misty step to escape a grapple, manacled to a wall, etc. as those are things you can't misty step with. (You can't take another creature, and the wall manacles are not things that you are holding, like a weapon or staff.) However, if you are manacled, ala handcuffs, then I would have the manacles go with the character, just like his clothes, equipment, etc. do.

Other folks may read the spell differently, but that would be my ruling.

I agree, getting out of a restraining condition is one of the primary uses of misty step. While teleportation is not spelled out anywhere, I've always assumed that anything you held or carried went with you. For all practical purposes you are carrying the manacles (you are supporting their weight).

Misty step should only teleport what you're carrying. If you're chained to the wall, you can't carry the wall. If they're chained to your wrists, you can carry them so they come along for the ride.

discosoc

First Post
To be fair, I never said chooses aloud. It seems a safe assumption that the caster chooses to bring any possessions they don't specifically say they would like not to take.

It also seems like a safe assumption that the caster *doesn't* intend to take the manacles with him... I'd personally let the caster choose, unless they were magical manacles (very possible in a world with magic users) specifically meant to prevent it.

Remove ads