D&D 5E [5E] YP: Sunless Citadel

What Adventure should I run for my next PbP Campaign?

• Lost Mine of Phandelver

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Sunless Citadel

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other WotC Adventure Path

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other Adventure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Obeliske

First Post
Narrowing my options.

I am leaning towards a human monk - he fights with a stick! (details, and possible complete change of mind, by tomorrow morning).

I'm glad there will be a cleric (my default class to play, always a favourite.)

Same here but so many people think they are boring! Just amuses me mostly. Still heavily leaning towards Cleric if nobody claims it by tomorrow I'll throw up stats and such for it. How much background should we write? I usually just go with the stuff from the guidebook as I prefer to let my actions do the talking.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Most of your questions are up to the GM really, but I'll try to answer some

Yes, you can assume the somatic component incorporates using or moving the components or focus.

If you are holding a weapon, it's possible to just let go with one hand, freeing up one hand to cast with. Your suggestion is also possible, since you get a free item interaction each round, but would only be necessary if you are carrying a shield that isn't also your focus.

Strictly up to the GM, but usually yes, otherwise its an unfair advantage to a cleric.

You could potentially have your bow, or any weapon, as a focus (again with GM permission), just describe it as having a jewel or similar and increasing its value (My wizards usually have a runed or carved quarterstaff as a focus). A ranged weapon focus could limit your melee ability since there is a disadvantage to both casting and shooting in melee. But something like shield doesn't need a material component so there is no need for a focus.

Finally as to your choice of scholar's vs explorer's pack (from your previous post), since we're supposed to know each other, go with what makes sense, I'm sure someone will help out if the need for rations or rope comes up.

I hope that helped a bit
Technically by RAW there is no provision for a weapon that is also a focus. Only a holy symbol for paladins and clerics has RAW support for wearing or being on a shield. Anything else is up to GM discretion.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Kuhl Obleequay, Monk 1

View attachment 83298

HP 9, AC 16, Move 30.

[sblock=Monk 1]Kuhl
LG Human Monk
Level 1

Abilities:
STR 10 (+0, save +2) [2]
DEX 16 (+2, save +4) [9+human]
CON 13 (+1) [5]
INT 10 (+0) [2]
WIS 16 (+3) [7+feat+human]
CHA 10 (+0) [2]

Size M
Speed 30
AC 16
Init +2
Hit Points 9

Proficiency bonus: +2
Proficiencies: simple weapons, short sword
Saves: STR, DEX
Skills: *, Acrobatics, Insight, Animal Handling, Survival
Tools: herbalism kit, flute, *
Languages: Common, Goblin

Attacks:
Quarterstaff: 1d20+5 to hit, 1d6+3 (one hand) 1d8+3 (two hands)
Unarmed Strike: 1d20+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning

Background (trait): Goatherd (wanderer)

Race abilities:
* Variant Human: extra skill, feat, +1 dex/wis (incl. above)

Class abilities:
* Unarmored Defense (AC=10+DEX+WIS)
* Martial Arts
- unarmed strikes and monk weapons use DEX or STR
- damage for unarmed strikes d4
- when Attack w/ unarmed strike or monk weapon, use bonus action for unarmed strike.

Feats
* EITHER Observant OR Resiliant **

Skills
+5 (dex) Acrobatics
+5 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
+0 (str) Athletics
+0 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+5 (wis) Insight
+0 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+3 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+3 (wis) Perception
+0 (cha) Performance
+0 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+3 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+3 (dex) Stealth
+5 (wis) Survival

Characteristics:
Personality: I am cheery and confident about the blessings of a good life.
Ideal: *.
Bond: *.
Flaw: I am very naïve, and have spent little time in cities.

Equipment:

Weight: (150 lbs carrying capacity)

* quarterstaff
* explorer’s pack
* 10 darts
* scroll-case stuffed with notes
* winter blanket
* herbalism kit
* common clothes
* pouch w/ 5gp

Notes:
*Goatherd (custom background):
- skills as folk hero
- equipment as hermit
- tools: herbalism kit, musical instrument
- feature: wanderer, as outlander[/sblock][sblock=Backstory]

still to come
. [/sblock]

Still to do: choose Feat, choose Human skill; choose artisan (Monk; Ferrier’s tools?); write background

Questions:
Background: as per PHB 126, I have made a custom background. Okay? Goatherd
- skills as folk hero
- equipment as hermit
- tools: herbalism kit, musical instrument
- feature: wanderer, as outlander

Feat: Is Passive Perception/Investigation a thing you will be using? (i.e. you looking at passive scores to determine whether we see things, regardless of whether we say “I’m looking at x”). If it is, I’ll go with Observant. If it is not, Resiliant (Wis). (This may also affect the choice of the final human skill.)

Martial Arts: I’m expecting that the quarterstaff can be used 2-handed for an attack action, but the bonus action attacks through Martial arts can still take place (i.e. either a kick, or a punch while one hand holds the staff after the attack action).
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] : for my backstory; do you object if I present Etanya as someone who is occasionally giving flute lessons to Kuhl?
Not at all. She can do that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

purplerook

First Post
Thanks [MENTION=6853819]TallIan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=84381]Khale[/MENTION]ssNestor. Thanks for the information. Based on your input, I took a closer look at the rules and I see what is happening. A spell caster needs to be holding the arcane focus (p.203). However, the definition of Cleric says that they can use a Holy Symbol as a spell casting focus and the definition of Holy Symbol says that it can wear it visibly or bear it on a shield.

Given this, I think that Ara is actually going to go with a Component pouch - no need to re-sheath the arcane focus as he switches back to archer mode.
[MENTION=6853819]TallIan[/MENTION], thanks for the offer on supplies. My character has 15 gp, but quite a shopping list - starting with a Familiar (10 gp), not to mention melee and ranged weapons... it is enough to make Ara question - but not change - his decision not to start as a fighter.

purplerook

First Post
For those who are on the fence about creating a character. I am new to D&D 5e and would really like to see a Barbarian in action.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

ccs

41st lv DM
[sblock=Roy]
Roy
Human male, Fighter 1, Criminal (enforcer), CN? NE?

Armor Class: 17 (chainmail, defensive style
Hit Points: 12 (1d10+2)
Speed 30 ft.

Str: 16* (+3)
Dex: 12* (+1)
Con: 14 (+2)
Int: 12 (+1)
Wis: 8 (-1)
Cha: 12 (+1)
* = variant human bonus

Defenses:

Senses: Normal vision, passive Perception = 9
Languages: Common, ancient common?, Ignan*, Thieves' Cant
SkillsIntimidation, history, Perception*, Deception, Stealth, Thieves Tools , Gaming (Dice & cards)
*=things from variant human

Saves: Strength (+5), Con (+4)
Prof. Bonus: +2

Actions
Short Sword Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, Hit: (1d6+3) piercing damage. Finese, light

Melee Weapon Attack: + to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: ()

Dagger Melee Attack: +5 Ranged Attack: +5 to hit, 20/60 ft. Hit: (1d4+3) piercing damage.

Hand crossbow Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, ft.30/120, Hit: (1d6+1) piercing damage. Light, Loading

Cantrip: Fire Bolt Ranged spell Attack: +3 to hit, Range: 120ft., Hit: (1d10), 1 action, V&S, instantaneous

Burning Hands Ranged Weapon Attack: Range: Self (15ft cone), Hit: (3d6 fire damage, Dex Save for 1/2, DC=11 )

Feature: Criminal contacts, Defensive fighting style (+1 to AC)
Feat: Magic Initiate (wizard - C:Fire Bolt, C:Mage Hand, 1st:Burning Hands)

Equipment
Crowbar,
extra set of dark common clothes, including a hood,
Belt pouch with 15gp,
gaming cards & a set of dice,
Chainmail,
Hand crossbow + 20 bolts,
Short Sword,
2 daggers*,
Dungeoneers pack
thieves tools
several bottles of strong booze*
some misc equipment*[/sblock]
*things I need to buy with that 15gp....[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]Roy typically makes his living as an enforcer for the local thieves guild, though he's not adverse to some burglary, tomb robbing, mercenary work, etc.... He learned of the Sunless Citadel job through a friend who heard there was a group in need of some muscle for an upcoming dungeon delve and put him in touch with the group (for a small % of Roys' cut of course) Such things often pay well, & he got along with the other members, so he joined up.
"Ya had me at the loot, & the ladies aren't bad to look at, so let's go kill some stuff and get rich."

Roy's fire magic is not a readily known fact. He & a partner were involved in a smash & grab job some time back. One of the things Roy grabbed turned out to be a magical amulet that burst into flame, badly burning him, & searing its' imprint into the palm of his hand.
Since then he's discovered that he has the ability to produce a variety of fire based effects. "Makes me a pretty good arsonist."[/sblock]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
For those who are on the fence about creating a character. I am new to D&D 5e and would really like to see a Barbarian in action.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Barbarians are fun. If you want to see one, watch Grog on Critical Role, too. I haven't had a chance to really play one too much.

Remove ads