D&D 5E [IC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Thael entered the inn,

He then sees the books behind the counter, and nods in approval "I see you are a learned man, mind if I take a look?"

As the elf enters (and draws attention by his arrival), the bard looks and quickly lowers his face so he is not recognized. As the elf passes he goes right behind him and after he orders the tea speaks in ominous voice
[sblock=Elven]
"We don't want your kind here, elf!"
[/sblock]

As Thren turns, Ersarkess steps back with wide smile, his hands upraised to ward off potential reaction to the threat
[sblock=Elven]
"Didn't I tell you you need to go out more, cousin? I didn't expect familiar faces here, but I'm not surprised to see you here. And I have a lass to rescue if you're willing to join in."
[/sblock]

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thael's eyes light up, and for a moment, he has forgotten the morning's events. He forgets the cup of hot liquid given to him by the innkeeper "My, my, my, this is interesting. Where did you find it?" As he waits for an answer, he inspects the book, for any noteworthy markings or anything else he can recognize. Keeping his eye on the book, he tells the man "I will need a room for a few days, how much per night? Mind if I borrow this for some naptime reading?"

He will pay the man for 2 nights, and if he can, he will take the book to his room. Once there, he will promptly cast prestigiditation on himself a few times to clean-up and be more presentable, and with exitement, will cast read languages as a ritual to find more about the contents of the book.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Pete will accept payment. "You can borrow the book, sure. Someone left it as their collateral though, and I'm not sure if they're ever coming back. Just give me something else I can hold onto in exchange and that's fine."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Pete will accept payment. "You can borrow the book, sure. Someone left it as their collateral though, and I'm not sure if they're ever coming back. Just give me something else I can hold onto in exchange and that's fine."

"Unfortunately, I travel light. Can I leave these 3 gold pieces as collateral; is that enough?"

As the elf enters (and draws attention by his arrival), the bard looks and quickly lowers his face so he is not recognized. As the elf passes he goes right behind him and after he orders the tea speaks in ominous voice
[sblock=Elven]
"We don't want your kind here, elf!"
[/sblock]

As Thren turns, Ersarkess steps back with wide smile, his hands upraised to ward off potential reaction to the threat
[sblock=Elven]
"Didn't I tell you you need to go out more, cousin? I didn't expect familiar faces here, but I'm not surprised to see you here. And I have a lass to rescue if you're willing to join in."
[/sblock]

Thael becomes red with anger as he hears the disrespectful comments, and turns around quickly, ready for a fight. He is also mad that his discussion with the innkeeper regarding the book have been delayed.

This evaporates as he sees the familiar face. It has only been a few years, but the half-elf had grown from a boy to an adult. Thael had to supress feelings of sorrow, as his kin's short lifespan was made obvious by his quick growth. He however dediced to focus on the feelings of joy, to reconnect with someone elven, even if only in part.

"My dear cousin!" He says, as he hugs Ersarkess. How glad I am to see you. You have grown so much since we last saw one another! I see you have been busy, already a lass to save! I have traveled much, do you mind if I go to my room, clean up a bit, and come back down so we can catch up?"

OOC: @neurotic, I'm assuming that our character last met 10 years ago, when yours traveled to elven lands. We've been writing letters since, perhaps one or two per year, and he sent you one telling yo that he was coming to Ashwell, but of course isn't sure you got it. I'm fine with changing this if it doesn't work for you.

Last edited:

Neurotic

OOC: [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION], I missed the part about the letter, but as you say, easily waved aside :) This one is more Indiana Jones (along with the whip) than sedentary scholar so it may happen he misses the letter for months at a time.

Ersarkess changes to common so the room understands there is some rescue work to be done if anyone wants to volunteer
"Yes, not all of us live forever, you know. I didn't take the room yet, if you want we can share. Finish your book transaction and come hear the boy out. A girl is stuck in collapsed tunnel and needs help. Immediately, as you can imagine. I'm not really equipped for digging, but that is easily remedied in digging town. We sure could use a dwarf in this endeavor."

He takes care NOT to look at the dwarf, but that said dwarf can hear the words.
"I will ask the old priest if he wants to join too."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thael's attention suddenly shifts from the book and his cousin, to the fact that he could manage to get underground today. "Innkeeper, if you don't mind, I will borrow your book later. It seems time is of the essence, and we need to get to this girl as soon as possible." Turning to his Ersarkess , he adds: "lead the way cousin , you can count on me".

Neurotic

"Didn't you say you want to clean up a bit? I'll get you after I get picks and shovels."

After about ten minutes he returns with the tools and checks that the boy finished eating.
"Come, boy, lead the way."

Ersarkess approaches the old man
"Would you join us, elder? We may need the blessing on this quest."

After receiving the answer he turns to the tavern in general as he walks toward the exit.
"We're going to save a little girl from collapsed dig. Anyone interested?"

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: Ok, so if the innkeeper accepts the 3gp as colleteral, Thael will come back down, completely cleanded after 20 minutes, but will have spent 9 minutes inspecting the book. If not, he'll simply have cast prestigitation and come down 10 minutes later, not to raise suspicions.

Neurotic

OOC: We should probably wait for others to chime in now before we hare off into the sunset unknown

Remove ads