I got two different questions on this game...

Shadowtrail

Villager
1. Under careers, there's one for the android called systems upgrade. It doesn't provide any attributes or skills because none are listed. Is that intended or could you use the droid attributes and skills for it?

2. How do languages work in this game? I can't find out how many languages my character might know or how to learn them. I do see the linguistics skill but, do I learn a language everytime I upgrade it or something else? How do I learn more languages?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For the Systems Upgrade career you get exactly what it says - one modification upgrade from the the Android exploits. Note there are 30 or so new ones in Universal Exploits, in addition to the ones in the core book.

For languages, reading or saying something in another language would be adjudicated the same way as any other task - an attribute check with a difficulty set by the GM. Some languages would be easier than others. Universal Exploits contains a rule whereby you get one bonus language for each die in your LOG and linguistics dice pool.

Shadowtrail

Villager
Oh hey, I got another question about picking careers. It says you can substitute attributes for your species atrributes. Does that mean as a Felan I can take out a luck +1 and use agility +2?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, it means when you take a career you can swap one of the four attribute increases for an AGI, INT, CHA or LUC increase. It's still just +1, and you can't swap it for something which would mean you were getting it twice.

Shadowtrail

Villager
OK got another question that came up. When creating a character and picking skills, are you allowed to pick the same skill twice? So if playing as a spartan could I pick up 4 ranks in swords from my species skill plus the one from the species exploit? Or like picking pilot career could I pick piloting skill twice?

easl

Explorer
No, it means when you take a career you can swap one of the four attribute increases for an AGI, INT, CHA or LUC increase. It's still just +1, and you can't swap it for something which would mean you were getting it twice.

I have been assuming that if a career gives a +2 bonus to an attribute, you can swap that for an equivalent racial attribute increase of +2. So for example, if a Felan takes the Socialite career (CHA +2, REP +2), he may swap one of those for a +2 to AGI, INT, or LUC. I've also been assuming that he would not be allowed to swap the career's REP +2 for his racial CHA +2 bonus because you aren't allowed to double up like that. Each attribute can get only one boost per career.

Is all that correct?

Remove ads