D&D 5E What's a good swamp dungeon with a specific theme for first-level PCs?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As far as actual swamp-based modules are concerned... in addition to 1E's Danger at Dunwater as Mistwell mentioned above... there's also 1E's Against the Cult of the Reptile God, which has a town full of people who have become cultists of a naga in the swamp outside of the town. You can get that for $5 on DMs Guild.

But if you wanted an almost-5E swamp adventure, there's also the first section of the D&D Next module Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle you also can get on DMs Guild. Fane of the Sun Swallower is a 1st level adventure that go into a swamp to a small ruined keep with connecting cave system. Although Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle is more expensive ($18), it's a D&D Next produce so it requires a little less modification to make it 5E-ready... and the product includes four separate adventures (including FotSS) so you can run all of them as the framework of a mini-campaign as you wish.

Fanaelialae

Legend
The Creature From the Black Lagoon
I'm afb and don't remember the right name, but it's in the MM and has an Engulf ability. It shows up as a random encounter in Hoard of the Dragon Queen*, in the chapter with the Swamp Castle.
The PCs have to cross a shallow lake (more like a flood plain) just barely over their head standing up, and this thing throws itself out of the water at their boat. It attempts to Engulf the nearest target and submerge again. Plant creatures need nutrients, too !
Use this on a disposable NPC, as a warning that some very difficult monsters live here.

* Which you should review and use the cool ideas.

Sounds like a Shambling Mound to me.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I will second bullywugs.

Two factions of them, as a matter of fact - the Croaks and the Wartcasters. The old bullywug monarch King Burrp VI died with no heirs, his clutch of tadpoles having been secretly stolen by a swamp hag "ally." Now the factions war over the succession while squatting in some sinking ruins of a lost civilization in the deep bog. The Croaks have the bulk of the warriors, but the Wartcasters have most of the druids and shamans, so it is currently a stalemate as they vie for power.

The arrival of the PCs may tip the scales and complicate the long range plans of the swamp hag who, once the Croaks and Wartcasters have been sufficiently weakened by civil war, seeks to install the charmed daughter of King Burrp VI as her puppet Queen.

This sort of setup should make for a dynamic dungeon that touches on all three pillars of play.

aco175

Legend
I 3rd bullywugs. At 1st level you are rather weak, but levels 2 and 3 come fast. Bullywugs can be a good threat through all these levels. They can ally themselves with giant frogs, giant rats, and even cockatrices. You can have caravan prisoners needing rescuing, or swamp medicines needing to be found and brought back to town.

I ran bullywugs at 5th level with a slaad taking over the tribe and staging raids on the local elves. It was able to polymorph into an old woman prisoner, but the sacrifices tied to the front of her tower gave it away. I also had a giant, giant frog that could swallow medium creatures.

guachi

Hero
Against the Cult of the Reptile God is so much fun I've run it twice now. I bought an original copy from eBay for $14.30 shipped.

The great thing about it is the citizens of the town can be used for later adventures and it's even better if the PCs save many of those converted. In my current campaign the PCs sunk a lot of their money (because there isn't much to buy in 5e) into the winery that the guy in one of the inns owns.

Against the Cult of the Reptile God is a more fun adventure than many give it credit for.

Luz

Explorer
Lizardfolk with a lizard king or queen would be good, or maybe a green hag with some swamp harpies.

And as mentioned, N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God or U2 Danger at Dunwater, the latter with perhaps some modifications to make the lizardfolk more adversarial, unless you plan to continue with U3.

Remove ads