D&D 5E Warlock of the Archfey CR 4???

Fanaelialae

Legend
Kinda some are a TPK waiting to happen though. Flameskulls vs level 2 and 3 PCs.

Flameskulls are CR 4. The DMG cautions against using creatures whose CR is above the party level for exactly that reason.

Of course, it's still a serious threat to a level 4 party, but with it's 13 AC and only 40 HP, the party can potentially burn it down in a single round or so. Such is the nature of a glass cannon; you end up with swingy encounters.

Zardnaar

Legend
Flameskulls are CR 4. The DMG cautions against using creatures whose CR is above the party level for exactly that reason.

Of course, it's still a serious threat to a level 4 party, but with it's 13 AC and only 40 HP, the party can potentially burn it down in a single round or so. Such is the nature of a glass cannon; you end up with swingy encounters.

And yet in offical adventures and the encounter guidelines you have things +6CR above the party level.

Fanaelialae

Legend
And yet in offical adventures and the encounter guidelines you have things +6CR above the party level.

It's not recommended, it is not however forbidden. At higher levels you have some more wiggle room (I assume this is not a CR 7 in a level 1 adventure). Also, is it possible that not all of those encounters are intended to be a combat challenge for the players? That was not uncommon in older modules (before CR was a thing).

Zardnaar

Legend
It's not recommended, it is not however forbidden. At higher levels you have some more wiggle room (I assume this is not a CR 7 in a level 1 adventure). Also, is it possible that not all of those encounters are intended to be a combat challenge for the players? That was not uncommon in older modules (before CR was a thing).

CR 13 Dragon in HotDQ for level 7 PCs. And a vampire as well.

Lost mines of Phandelver, Flameskull for level 3 or 4 PCs that was almost a TPK there.

Fanaelialae

Legend
CR 13 Dragon in HotDQ for level 7 PCs. And a vampire as well.

I've never read or played HotDQ, so I don't know the context of these encounters. Are these both mandatory combat encounters (you cannot progress the adventure without defeating these monsters)? Can the PCs learn about these creatures beforehand and therefore prepare for the encounter? Are there any items in the adventure (a sword of dragon slaying perhaps) that would give them a special advantage in the encounter? All of these are factors.

Furthermore, it does nothing to change the fact that the DMG advises caution with regard to using monsters whose CR is above that of the party.

Lost mines of Phandelver, Flameskull for level 3 or 4 PCs that was almost a TPK there.

You know what they say, almost doesn't count. ;)

Zardnaar

Legend
I've never read or played HotDQ, so I don't know the context of these encounters. Are these both mandatory combat encounters (you cannot progress the adventure without defeating these monsters)? Can the PCs learn about these creatures beforehand and therefore prepare for the encounter? Are there any items in the adventure (a sword of dragon slaying perhaps) that would give them a special advantage in the encounter? All of these are factors.

Furthermore, it does nothing to change the fact that the DMG advises caution with regard to using monsters whose CR is above that of the party.

You know what they say, almost doesn't count. ;)

Well I used the wncounter on level 7 pxs but they were over equiped and had some rifles.

jgsugden

Legend
Having an encounter with a powerful monster does not require combat with that monster. Sometimes heroes need to figure out how they'll address monsters that are more powerful than their party.

The books assume PCs will face enemies that, individually, are more powerful than the PCs in the group. Whenever that takes place, the PCs need to have some preparation so that they don't get ambushed with no chance to protect themselves and get TPKed.

Common sense - D&D is a role playing game. The PCs play a role in a story. Make sure the story you're telling is fun.

Xeviat

Hero
Having an encounter with a powerful monster does not require combat with that monster. Sometimes heroes need to figure out how they'll address monsters that are more powerful than their party.

The books assume PCs will face enemies that, individually, are more powerful than the PCs in the group. Whenever that takes place, the PCs need to have some preparation so that they don't get ambushed with no chance to protect themselves and get TPKed.

Common sense - D&D is a role playing game. The PCs play a role in a story. Make sure the story you're telling is fun.

We're talking about the balance of the CR system, not the greater game as a whole. My concern is that there is a CR 4 monster who can summon a CR 6 monster. Obviously I'm concerned about the combat balance of such a monster, or else I wouldn't even care about the CR system.

Olive

Explorer
Summoning a CR 6 monster isn't the same as fighting a straight up CR 6 monster - you kill the caster, disrupt the concentration spell or dispel the creature and it's gone.

Remove ads