D&D 5E Best Crit-Fisher Builds

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Champion 3 then. It's sad, but that's all the Champion has to offer you for a long time.

Champion 3 gets you a 20% chance to Crit. Pair that with Barbarian 2 for Reckless attack and you've got a 36% chance of scoring a critical.
Since you've a few, high intensity fights, I suggest sticking with the Barbarian (probably Bear Totem, as you'll be Reckless Attacking a lot) as it has the highest melee survivability. It also happens to be the most crit-centric, which dovetails nicely.

If you're allowed UA Racial Feats, consider going Half-Elf instead (#Half-Elf Superiority :p), as you trade in 1d12 on a crit for 12.8% more chance to crit with Elven Accuracy (for a whopping 48.8% chance per attack​).

To do some maths:
Half-Orc Champion 3/Barbarian 9: 4d12 extra damage on a crit, which occurs 36% of the time. Averaging 1.44d12 extra damage.
Half-Elf Champion 3/Barbarian 9: 3d12 extra damage on a crit, which occurs 48.8% of the time. Averaging 1.464d12 extra damage.

The latter is also better if you're using Great Weapon Master, as a higher chance to crit means a higher chance to cleave.

Last edited:

ZakathBC

First Post
Like Half Elves needed to be any better than they already were! Alas I am not able to take the UA feats, although other UA like the Barbarian paths are on the table. Truth be told, I hadn't considered going non Frenzy barb if continuing along the barbarian path. Bear totem barbarians certainly are the most durable of the lot, although I don't know how they compare to the Revised Subclass UA Barbarian when it comes to mitigating damage.

That 3rd standard attack from champion looked pretty juicy as it would enable the bonus attack from GWM very frequently at the cost of only 1d12 per crit. I'll be honest I am not very good at math so I trust you. I thought 18-20 gave me 15% chance to crit then advantage makes that less than 30 but close for reasons I don't fully understand haha.

Would champion 12 barb 3 not be kinda a mix of the best of both worlds since we are ending the campaign at 15? The extra damage from the extra attack but I could still nab the improved resistance rage from bear path. Obviously the amount of play at 15 would be fairly small, but I would have that increased survivability for the climactic finale of the campaign.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Ah, my bad. I thought you meant the Axe let you crit on an 18-20.

If elven accuracy is out then Half-Orc it is. The main reason I recommended more Barbarian is because rages keep you healthy, so more rages is good.

It's a trade between offense and defense. More Fighter gives you more offense, but at the risk of going down (you grant advantage with Reckless Attack), while more Barbarian gives you more defense (and some offense), but no third attack.

Last edited:

N810

First Post
Nope you really only need more attacks during boss,
you could just take Sentinel instead of PAM for roughly equal all day damage.

Remove ads