Signs of Influence: Poets, Priests and Politicians

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Have words to thank for their positions.

In a classic medieval world the Priest and Nobleman had some real perks (Celtic Bardic influence was similar to the Priests) and some of role-playing might be seen as wanting to vicariously experience perks of that sort

I admit to a fair degree of "ignoring" pocket cash throughout the D&D editions but I noticed the following which was basically added to the Bard in Heroes of the Feywild, and I find the flavor interesting.

attachment.php

Wondering if Nobles and Priests might partake of that ;)

Attachments

• SignsOfInfluence.png
    SignsOfInfluence.png
    114 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am pretty sure there are Clerics and Bards and Warlords who are not part of social hierarchies because those require upkeep of some sort (like time investment and keeping your face and fame and duties covered - not that these often historically had very high investment most of the time) and amount to vagabond murderer ahem pcs...

however

I have generally found players who feel their characters are a part of the game world tend to develop goals other than raw gold gathering survival. The I am a errant justiciar, counselor, ambassador, kings champion, priestess etc alone even if its just a cosmetic background thing can help.

I hear 5th edition has made a variety of backgrounds tweaking on this

Sent from my XT1585 using EN World mobile app

5e backgrounds are often some sort of variation on this concept, yes. Not necessarily "get free stuff", but they tend to emphasize social connections between the character and some element of society. My 5e character is a dwarf wizard with the Folk Hero (IIRC that's what its called) background. He can get free food and lodging from his 'fans', and there are a few other fairly minor effects. Its useful, and it worked pretty well as an interesting addition to the character. Frankly, the 4e backgrounds are a bit less concrete, but you could do the same things with them. 5e background is sort of halfway between a background and a theme in 4e's way of doing things. I suspect if 4e had gotten a facelift it would have gotten pretty much the same treatment, it was a pretty obvious direction to go in. It certainly has the virtue of replacing 2 subsystems with one simpler one, which I can't really object to. This is really a lot of the trend with 5e. Had it respected 4e's design goals more I would have thought it was a damned good effort.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
5e backgrounds are often some sort of variation on this concept, yes. Not necessarily "get free stuff", but they tend to emphasize social connections between the character and some element of society. My 5e character is a dwarf wizard with the Folk Hero (IIRC that's what its called) background. He can get free food and lodging from his 'fans', and there are a few other fairly minor effects. Its useful, and it worked pretty well as an interesting addition to the character. Frankly, the 4e backgrounds are a bit less concrete, but you could do the same things with them. 5e background is sort of halfway between a background and a theme in 4e's way of doing things. I suspect if 4e had gotten a facelift it would have gotten pretty much the same treatment, it was a pretty obvious direction to go in. It certainly has the virtue of replacing 2 subsystems with one simpler one, which I can't really object to. This is really a lot of the trend with 5e.

My son mentioned Folk Hero explicitly ...

Had it respected 4e's design goals more I would have thought it was a damned good effort.

Yeh that right there is what it all comes back to, they can have interesting and creative ideas but without creating it in a trustworthy context ummmmm ....ack.
(I like attunement or even the expertise dice and other bits I have seen from preview)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Robinhood amounts to a Nobleman background but who gets Folk Hero not a Nobleman effects

Folkhero probably allows a form of safe passage most of the time too.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Frankly, the 4e backgrounds are a bit less concrete, but you could do the same things with them.

That right there... concrete can nail things down over much I mean why couldnt a folk hero manage to get free room and board on occasion... and a bunch of hangers on the next and an audience with someone important another time.

That right there... concrete can nail things down over much I mean why couldnt a folk hero manage to get free room and board on occasion... and a bunch of hangers on the next and an audience with someone important another time.

Right, this is why I also have 'traits', which are just a way to specify some characteristics your character can have that the player can leverage with a plot coupon to make stuff like that happen. You can invoke them, or parts of your background or even class, to say get an audience "Oh, yeah, the head priest of this temple is my old teacher from when I was in training" etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases