Ring Side Report-Freeway Fighter #1

biotech66

Explorer
[FONT=&quot]Originally posted at Throat Punch Games!

Book
-Freeway Fighter #1[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Author and Illustrators- Ewington, Coleby, O’Grady, Campbell[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Book- ~$3.99 here https://www.amazon.com/Freeway-Fighter-1-Andi-Ewington-ebook/dp/B06WWGCJGV[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TL; DR-I wanna play the old games now! 91%
FREEWAY-FIGHTER-ISSUE-1_COVER_A (1).jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Basics-The world has ended and those left fight to survive. That’s a standard intro to everybody’s favorite post-apocalyptic freeway franchise, but this one is based on the Fighting Fantasy game called Freeway Fighter! In this comic we meet Rose, a former not-NASCAR driver who survived a massive plague and now fights in a world where only the fast survive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Characters-You can’t really say characters for this one as you really only get to meet Rose, the main character of this series so far. She’s described more in actions than in words as she speaks in a few monologues to the audience but mostly is alone in the issue. She spends lots of time behind the wheel, and does a bit of outside the car actions. I’m intrigued by her, and do want to know more about her. So good job here. 4.5/5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Setting-I’d say this is a ripoff of Mad Max, but both Mad Max and Fighting Fantasy date back a long time. This is a good reimagining of the Freeway Fighter books from FF. The world looks and feels dirty and harsh. What’s here shows a good contrast between the world of today and the world of Freeway Fighter. 5/5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Story-This isn’t a story heavy book, but that doesn’t make it bad. When I first read the book, I felt the writers tipped their hands too quickly by telling the reader how the world went to hell, but then I realized, this is not that kind of book. This is straight up action. And it’s good at that. The book’s main goal is get the word out about the world and introduce Rose. It does that well. I know a bit about who she is, and what is going on. The book sets the stage for a race that happened long ago, and now I want to know what happens in that race and what’s going to happen to Rose. Well done! 4.75/5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Execution-Oh comics...I love comic books. This one is well written, and the art is great. What does hurt this a bit is the price. It’s $3.99, and the book isn’t an extended issue. I love what’s here, but it feels a bit too much for it’s current price. 4/5[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Summary-I grew up in a pretty rural area in Wisconsin, so geek culture didn’t really make its way out to my home town. This books makes me want to find and play the old Fighting Fantasy Freeway Fighter books. The comic looks awesome, is well written, and makes me want to know what happens to Rose in issue 2. All those are great things, but the major problem I have is price. $3.99 is a bit much for this book. That hurts a bit. But, get this one through your pull program, so you get a bit of a price break and it’s well worth you time. 91%.[/FONT]

Remove ads