• Covenant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alien vs Predator

• AvP Requiem

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
This so much! Thank you. And so, whatever happened to the Sulaco? Was it attacked/infested while everyone was in stasis? So Ripley was already asleep in a pod on the lifeboat? I can dig that last one (since the pod room at the end of Aliens is not like the one in the beginning), but just too many other questions...

Watch ALIENS to the very end of the credits. Near the very end you can actually hear the skittering of a facehugger from the right to left audio channel. I first noticed it on all of the home video editions of the movie (on Laserdisc, DVD and BluRay) and thought that maybe it was something FOX added in for the home video version. Kind of like Universal added "TO BE CONTINUED" to the end of the home video versions of BACK TO THE FUTURE (On VHS and LD, it's not on the DVD versions that I own) when they knew they were making a sequel.

But I've seen ALIENS twice in the big screen again in the last five years (once at the IFC Theater and once with my son at the ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE) or so and the sound of the skittering facehugger is there on the 35mm film print.

Robyo

Explorer
Watch ALIENS to the very end of the credits. Near the very end you can actually hear the skittering of a facehugger from the right to left audio channel. I first noticed it on all of the home video editions of the movie (on Laserdisc, DVD and BluRay) and thought that maybe it was something FOX added in for the home video version. Kind of like Universal added "TO BE CONTINUED" to the end of the home video versions of BACK TO THE FUTURE (On VHS and LD, it's not on the DVD versions that I own) when they knew they were making a sequel.

But I've seen ALIENS twice in the big screen again in the last five years (once at the IFC Theater and once with my son at the ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE) or so and the sound of the skittering facehugger is there on the 35mm film print.

Thank you! I have watched Aliens a million times, but I guess I never paid attention to the Facehugger skitter at the end credits. Another reason to watch the movie!

Aliens because it's the most enjoyable of the films.

Absolute least favourites are Covenant and Prometheus --the return of Ridley Scott to the franchise feels like is very much like akin to the Star Wars prequels: sub-par story telling ruining what other people have made of the setting we were originally given.

Covenant's script is a poorly put together ghost train filled with build ups with no pay off, convolutions that do exactly nothing except pad the screen time, and like far too much popular sci-fi absolutely depends on people being astoundingly bad at their jobs*. Its weird, and broken, and there isn't a single correct choice made by any character at any time to the point that the characters are so relentlessly stupid there's not even satisfaction in their deaths. It's an uninspired meat grinder on rails, cut from the from the same stupid as Prometheus that gives us a setting with astoundingly complex androids but no drones (well apart from the tunnel charters, which were pitifully misused), and the only twist comes from ignoring every bit of lore that's come before (even the crew of the previous ship wore environment suits).

*: Where to begin? The titular ship for a start stores its cryopods on meathooks, a single failure point which fails repeatedly in the opening minutes leading to several deaths.
Its interstellar comms system is incapable of detecting a transmission that the comparatively tiny one in a suit can (a meaningless plot point that has no significance or is ever relied on again).
There's only a single landing craft for an entire colony of people -- even the Sulaco carried a spare for just a single platoon -- which instead of having its med bay easily accessible from the main entry point chooses to stick it down a long corridor where you'd never be able to fit a stretcher.
The basic set up of the film has the crew so reluctant to return to cryosleep that with no no hurry to get anywhere they have to go down RIGHT NOW without even pausing to map the surface which would have shown them the massive dead city.
The David series was so upsetting that Weyland chose to make the Walter series in its likeness to facilitate a supposedly surprising switcheroo

rewatched Alien covenant over the weekend
My original viewing I ranked this movie as one of the better ones however i've changed my mind and actually asking the community on key part of the movie

1-why does Shaw rebuild David
2-the john Denver song-is she infected/an alien at this point and its david controlling her or is she greyed out due to not being in movie
3-never explained how he infected her and is she dead when he launches virus on planet?
4-is the end of the movie leading to alien?
5-David lands on the planet but then is trapped there? Its an entire planet so did the engineers not have ships or other technology?

General question-the alien hive from aliens has not been used since. Has scott given an indication he doesn't approve. We have this huge list of mediocore/bad sequels and it would seem so simple for the studio to step in and say lets get back to how 2 was made

Still truly shocking that movies made in 1979 and 1986 are far superior. I'm beginning to want a restored version of aliens like lucas did with star wars and am hoping that Scott retires.
The cast was fine for covenant and Prometheus however character actions make no sense (no helmets,trusting david in covenant, playing with alien life). This shows a total lack of wisdom for 2 crews and yet the same director in alien 1 his crew has more sense.
Bring on the director for planet of the apes, wonderwoman,conjuring/anabelle or one of producers of game of thrones. Compared ot those you have watered down action, scares and clearly the director of wonderwoman could really prop up a woman heroine.

I'll have a go at a few...

1-why does Shaw rebuild David

Why wouldn't she? She's completely alone, and would benefit from both the physical and mental assistance of another person, even if it is a robot. At the very least she needs David to translate the Engineer language, and probably needs his help using some of their technology. Also, David saved her life in Prometheus, and was created specifically to serve humans. While she may have some reasons to not completely trust him, she has no reason to assume David would kill her.

2-the john Denver song-is she infected/an alien at this point and its david controlling her or is she greyed out due to not being in movie
3-never explained how he infected her and is she dead when he launches virus on planet?
No idea. That's not the story the movie is telling.

4-is the end of the movie leading to alien?

Leading there, sure. Slowly. Not a direct path.

5-David lands on the planet but then is trapped there? Its an entire planet so did the engineers not have ships or other technology?
The Engineers had many planets. Obviously some must be very high tech. Some, like LV-233 in Prometheus, had only a single site where a ship could be found. Others, like Earth, had no technology left behind at all; just biology. Either the planet David found is a planet with life forms but no advanced tech, or there is a cache of tech hidden somewhere on the planet that David couldn't find. Either explanation is completely consistent with what we've seen of the Engineers.

General question-the alien hive from aliens has not been used since. Has scott given an indication he doesn't approve.
It's still open to go either way. David created the eggs, eggs make facehuggers, facehuggers make xenomorphs. It's possible David would create life that couldn't reproduce without him, but also possible he planned the next phase. It's equally possible that David doesn't know for sure what will happen next and the hive/queen phase is an unexpected mutation. Remember, it's all an experiment to him.

We have this huge list of mediocore/bad sequels and it would seem so simple for the studio to step in and say lets get back to how 2 was made

Still truly shocking that movies made in 1979 and 1986 are far superior. I'm beginning to want a restored version of aliens like lucas did with star wars and am hoping that Scott retires.
You hate all the Aliens sequels and want more of what Lucas did to Star Wars? Words can't even describe my reaction. No, just no.

Also, to answer some of the earlier questions:

Its interstellar comms system is incapable of detecting a transmission that the comparatively tiny one in a suit can (a meaningless plot point that has no significance or is ever relied on again).
The suit was outside of some interference that was near the ship. It was put in to explain why the signal wasn't picked up earlier. Really easy to explain and never relied on again simply because it wasn't significant.

There's only a single landing craft for an entire colony of people -- even the Sulaco carried a spare for just a single platoon -- which instead of having its med bay easily accessible from the main entry point chooses to stick it down a long corridor where you'd never be able to fit a stretcher.
There may have been another landing craft in the colony ship, just not one that was remote control-able like on the Sulaco. Given that it's years earlier and not a military ship, I find this easy to accept. I also didn't see any architecture problems like you did. Probably won't get a chance to review until the DVD comes out.

The basic set up of the film has the crew so reluctant to return to cryosleep that with no no hurry to get anywhere they have to go down RIGHT NOW without even pausing to map the surface which would have shown them the massive dead city.
Why do you assume they had the ability to map the surface in such detail, or that it would look that way from above? The stone temple/city area we saw actually had a number of structures jutting up around it, so the open meadow/lake they landed in would probably look like the best landing area from most scanning techniques.

The David series was so upsetting that Weyland chose to make the Walter series in its likeness to facilitate a supposedly surprising switcheroo
David was a prototype. A very successful one, that clearly took a ton of effort to design. Using the same mold is an obvious choice; you would have to work harder to explain why they should change it.

Alien Covenant was not a perfect movie. No movie is, and this wasn't the best of the series by far. But I think a lot of folks are asking way to much out of it and don't give it the credit it's due. A lot of these complaints are nitpicking a lot of minor issues that don't come close to some of the errors in the "good" films of the series. Ditto for Prometheus.

Last edited:

I love xenomorphs as much as the next guy but in my opinion the franchise (for the most part) has not improved since Aliens 1986. last 2 have been better than the rest (I liked the idea of crossovers and wanted the terminatorsvs predator vs xenomorph) however the last 1 did poorly in theaters and theres a reason why. Its not just nitpicking (nothing worse than picking nits fyi).

1)The acting/scripts have been horrible in the most of the recent movies. the scientists are idiots and so are the soldiers.
2) Covenant has really no real scares. Lots of gore but there was no point where I jumped out of my seat of wondered what was around the corner like I would In what is considered good horror movies for todays standards (conjuring etc). theres a reason why IT is projected at 60 million opening weekend
3) David (fassbender is a great actor) has gone into superhero territory. Hes brilliant and stronger than 10 men and I feel like they have lost the android aspect of the ones in alien 1 and 2.
4) I would argue the heroines after Ripley have clearly not been as effective as Ripley and clearly not as smart.
5) The action after 3 has gone down hill. Nobody is considering any of these to be great action films in fact I'm not sure if any crack the top 25 of the last 5 years

What improved is gore and special effects but we've dipped into jaws 3-4 territory and its clear that jaws 1&2 are the only 1s that stand the test of time.

I hold the original and Aliens about the same. And as I prefer action over horror, Aliens gets the nod.

Everything else is a huge step down ( have not seen covenant yet).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases