D&D 5E Resting and the frikkin' Elephant in the Room

Satyrn

First Post
Heh. Over 1500 posts in, and this thread is still worth reading...

"There's no Elephant in this Room. It's not a Room, it's a chamber, and it's not an elephant, it's a loxodonta africana."

"OK, then, can we talk about the loxodonta africana in the chamber?"

;)

"Oh c'mon man. We wind up fighting these loxodonta africana 6 or 7 times every day. Sometimes 8, and we're just squeaking through with our lives. How have all the commoners not been trampled yet? "

shoak1

Banned
Banned
Re: the "whole point of this" I'd say it boils down to the following:

You can have trivial encounters and that's okay, whether they're there just as window-dressing, for verisimilitude, to allow the PCs a powertrip or whatever.

But if the game does assume 6-8 encounters for its balance to occur, it also needs to provide mechanisms to accomplish this. Dumping it all on the story (and thus the DM or adventure writer) is not acceptable (especially since few writers of published modules make any serious effort to help the DM out).

What's especially galling is how the game generously and freely hands out a truckload of "get out of jail" cards, one more ridiculously powerful than the other. Rope Trick, Teleport etc. Since they can't be allowed to have the effect they are assumed to be having (or balance goes out of the window) their only effect is to considerably increase the difficulty for the poor DM in ensuring said balance.
A secondary consideration is that they are only available to certain party compositions.

In effect, the game does its outmost to free itself from any responsibility re: upholding the balance it so clearly assumes is there. In effect, the game dumps all of the work in the lap of the DM - and then makes its best to trip him or her over at every stage of the way. The only straightforward solution that can't be trivially circumvented by spells or other powers then becomes the story angle, the "princess gets eaten in three days, please hurry!" schtick.

But not only does this get very VERY old after a while, it doesn't even do that (in 99% of published modules).

In 99% of modules where there is a world-ending threat, it is incredibly vague, with nothing even resembling a detailed timeline, and often with no real assumption that the heroes can fail. Unless the DM decides to play hardball, you'd think the heroes can simply chicken race the scenario and call its bluff.

"So we didn't reach the dragon in three days, instead preferring to abuse the game's mechanics to trivialize every encounter and make sure we never are in any real danger. Now, is the princess still alive?"

Yes. "Okay, thought so. Now let us see if we can drop the dragon in a single round, considering how we are fully rested and with all our resources available."

No. "Oh well, can't win every time. At least we didn't risk our lives by pressing on when we could rest instead. And oh, if the princess' soul wants to return the living, we're okay with using part of the dragon hoard to pay for her resurrection. We think it's fair to part with 10% of the treasure in return for avoiding 90% of the danger."

It's so intellectually dishonest. It's the elephant in the room.

Do note I am not trying to change the way you lot play your game. Yes, that means YOU.

All I want is for the rulebooks to
a) acknowledge the issue... yes, getting heroes to take 8 encounters in a day can be bloody difficult, and how it doesn't suit some players at all to have several individually-trivial encounters instead of a single one offering a good challenge
b) accept some responsibility... a good game offers mechanical support for play groups where players aren't interested in voluntary buy-in into 6-8 encounters as a gentleman's agreement.
c) offering optional variants... that take the load off of the DMs shoulders. First and foremost by not having the PHB unconditionally give out the most generous and least restricted resting scheme so players take that for granted.

Then add support for:
c1) empowering DMs and scenarios to use variable rest frequencies for one and the same heroes
c2) specifically and explicitly allow the "you can't expect to gain any benefits from resting, except at areas clearly designated as safe" variant. Preferably in a sidebar right there in the PHB, so no player can claim it's just "an evil DM" trying to prevent players from taking the rest the rules clearly allow them
c3) add an encounter point system (as described in another thread), or at the very least Jonathan Tweet's (I believe it was) simple suggestion "you can't take a short rest until you've had two encounters, and you can't take a long rest until you've had two short rests"

Note I said optional variants - you don't have to use any of this unless you want to.

Excellent summary Capn Zapp - but in my view its all somewhat a moot point. The bigger problem is that the game "leadership" seems to follow the same laizze-fair thinking that most of those who post here follow - specifically a big "meh" *shrug* when it comes to balance ("OMG balance is like soooo objective anyway lol" - go play world of warcraft or a boardgame if you want that"). Big DM (*cough* "Empowered DM") is the only balancing mechanism they feel is necessary, and "the game is just a toolbox anyways" lol, and to heck with those of us that actually want a complete game that doesn't rely so heavily on BigDM.

Tony Vargas

Legend
"Oh c'mon man. We wind up fighting these loxodonta africana 6 or 7 times every day. Sometimes 8, and we're just squeaking through with our lives. How have all the commoners not been trampled yet? "
OK, anytime the 'day' is short of the required encounters, it'll be 'random' encounters with rogue elephants. Just, every time. 5MWD? 5-7 elephant encounters. Try to hide from them in a Tiny Hut or MMM or whatever? Pink Elephants stomp you in your dreams.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Wizard's spell book is corrupted, and now every time she casts Leo's Hut or Mordy's Mansion it appears with a pink elephant already inside it...an annoyed hungry pink elephant that can't leave the space and whose honking and stomping will prevent any useful rest until it is fed at least three magic items or a full bottle of Glenlivet.

Also every time she casts Rope Trick the pink elephant also appears, only when the first person starts climbing the rope the elephant falls out of the extra-dimensional space above...

Lanefan

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ahem, isn't a "Start with 6-8..." a recommendation? I mean, to say it isn't seems to be splitting semantic hairs... Hmm... okay, let's say it's not a "recommendation". Let's call it just words that tell us what the average number is expected to be. I'm fine with that ;)
It's neither splitting hairs, nor semantics. Providing a base from which move is not the same as recommending that you use the base.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
From the standpoint of the players (that is, the RL humans playing the game), all of those NPCs fell from the sky. The DM creates them and gives them stats, with as much or as little reference to the books as he/she desires.

In game, the DM can create backstory for those NPCs as fits his/her vision, again, with as much or as little recourse to the books as desired. The DM can create NPCs that mimic PC progression, or NPCs that completely violate it, and that creation is completely within the DM's purview. As a player, you can infer systemic considerations (the 83 NPCs killed in a desert were more likely killed by a blue dragon than a green dragon, for example), but the DM is never obliged to consult any rules reference to put something into the world.

I disagree. I've never encountered a high level NPC in a game and thought, "This guy fell from the sky". Rather, I understood that whether or not the DM created a backstory, a backstory exists. That NPC gained those levels in a similar manner to PCs. If the DM gives an NPC wizard the special ability to shout goony goo goo and throw his shoes unerringly at his targets, even to the point of going around corners, some event in his past gave that to him, no different than when PCs gain abilities through adventuring.

Harzel

Adventurer
I feel slightly silly going on about this in depth. Oh, well.

Look, context matters. [MENTION=71699]vonklaude[/MENTION] you said this:

It then states that 2-3 short rests are expected in an "adventuring day" i.e. over that number of encounters. Implicitly, the "day" ends with a long rest i.e. there is one long rest per adventuring day. Regarding class balance, those guidelines amount to a clear suggestion of the design intent, e.g. an ability that recovers on a short rest (like Warlock spell slots) will be usable 3-4x per "adventuring day" (use, rest 1, use, rest 2, use, optional rest 3, use) while one that recovers on a long rest will be usable only once (use, end of day long rest).

My reply:

Yes, except
  1. Other than that the number of encounters needs to be at least 3, this says nothing about the number of encounters, which was what I was talking about.
I would have thought that it was clear that "this" meant the section on short rests since that's what you were talking about in the part of your post that I quoted. I guess though, that wasn't clear, since you replied with a discussion of the other parts of the Adventuring Day section.

Hmm. On DMG84 "The Adventuring Day" opens with "...most adventuring parties can handle about six to eight medium or hard encounters in a day." <snip>

Anyway, I stand by this: Other than that the number of encounters needs to be at least 3, the section on short rests says nothing about the number of encounters.

But back to the main point, which for some reason, you did not quote from my post.

My main (intended) point was that there is nothing in the DMG to suggest that amongst all the combinations of encounters that meet the XP budget, those combinations containing 6-8 encounters are in any way preferred, recommended, or better for the game.

When you said

It's true that we have to do some work to understand the design intent, as we have to breakdown the "adventuring day" XP and realise it pays for the specified number of encounters. Take the example in the book - 3x 3rd PC, 1x 2nd PC. Their Medium is 550XP and Hard is 825XP. Their "adventuring day" XP budget is 4200XP (3x1200 + 1x600). That pays for 7 medium or 5 hard encounters. 3 deadly or 15 easy encounters would also do it. The designers don't seem concerned with playing "exactsies", but for each combination of PC levels the "adventuring day" XP pays for about the guideline number of encounters. Generally about one encounter less than the guideline (skewing the game toward the "easy" difficulty setting that appears to have been the design intent).

It seemed to me that you were acknowledging there that the recommendation (and yes, I am perfectly fine with calling the section in its entirety a recommendation) in the DMG is not for a particular number of encounters, but for a set of particular combinations of numbers of encounters and difficulty. However, when I replied

Yes, and to reiterate, there is nothing in the DMG to say that one of these should be preferred over the others.

You then said

I'm not certain what you mean here? Are you saying that, notwithstanding that the DMG gives an XP budget designed to pay for roughly 6-8 medium or hard encounters and tells you that a party should be able to handle about that many encounters per "day", it fails to say that range should be preferred? Is it right that you believe it should contain words like "The preferred number of encounters is..." or "We recommend you use..." to have that meaning? For me that is demanding an extraordinarily literal reading of the language, and I'm a hard-core literalist in my rules interpretations. If it doesn't mean to recommend 6-8 medium to hard encounters per adventuring day, it contains a lot of wordings that might trick people into believing it does. Are you open to a possible alternative view here?

At which point I am uncertain both about why you are uncertain of what I meant and about what exactly you think the DMG is saying. With respect to what I mean, I suppose it could be confusing because I have been phrasing it as a negative. I did that because I was contesting the notion that "6-8 medium to hard encounters" is a combination recommended by the DMG singularly and uniquely above all others. Put positively, I guess I would say this:
The DMG recommends that the encounters for a party during an adventuring day have a total XP value that can be calculated by <details> using the Adventuring Day XP table. As an example, (ignoring the small disconnect that [MENTION=6787650]Hemlock[/MENTION] has shown is probably a simple historical mistake) 6-8 medium to hard encounters could meet this criterion. To paraphrase a noted author, 7 medium, 5 hard encounters, 3 deadly or 15 easy encounters would also do it. The only additional wrinkle is that to allow the short rest mechanic to work as intended, the set of encounters needs to be separable into three roughly equal (XP-wise) subsets.

As to what you mean, let me ask about an example. Assume that we have a particular party and a particular set of 7 medium encounters and a particular set of 3 deadly encounters. Assume further that the total XP for the 7 medium, the total XP for the 3 deadly, and the adventuring day XP budget for the party are all roughly equal. Do you think that the DMG intends to say that for an adventuring day for that party the 7 medium encounters is more recommended, more preferred, or better than the 3 deadly?

(A reply that at least begins with either "yes" or "no" would be the most helpful.)

Hussar

Legend
I disagree. I've never encountered a high level NPC in a game and thought, "This guy fell from the sky". Rather, I understood that whether or not the DM created a backstory, a backstory exists. That NPC gained those levels in a similar manner to PCs. If the DM gives an NPC wizard the special ability to shout goony goo goo and throw his shoes unerringly at his targets, even to the point of going around corners, some event in his past gave that to him, no different than when PCs gain abilities through adventuring.

You can think that all you like.

But prior to you encountering that npc, not a single encounter was actually had by that npc. Not one that involved the mechanics anyway.

What DM would actually spend the dozens of hours playing through the encounters required for that high level npc to actually achieve those levels?

IOW that npc gained levels and abilities completely without any reference to encounter guidelines. Any backstory is 99% DM fiat.

clearstream

(He, Him)
(A reply that at least begins with either "yes" or "no" would be the most helpful.)
Elephants. It seems we agree that the "Adventuring Day" section amounts to a recommendation. In another thread I crunched the "day" XP values (dividing the book value for each encounter difficulty into the book value for XP at that level for that day) and got this table -

Level Easy Medium Hard Deadly
1 12 6 4 3
2 12 6 4 3
3 16 8 5 3
4 14 7 5 3
5 14 7 5 3
6 13 7 4 3
7 14 7 5 3
8 13 7 4 3
9 14 7 5 3
10 15 8 5 3
11 13 7 4 3
12 12 6 4 3
13 12 6 4 3
14 12 6 4 3
15 13 6 4 3
16 13 6 4 3
17 13 6 4 3
18 13 6 4 3
19 13 6 4 3
20 14 7 5 3

mean 13 7 4 3
mode 12 6 4 3
median 13 6 4 3
min 12 6 4 3
max 16 8 5 3

As you can see, the budgeted XP per day pays for fewer than the advertised 6-8 Medium to Hard encounters. If one goes further and assumes that in practice encounters cost somewhere between their floor and the next higher value, one gets this table -

Level Easy Medium Hard Deadly
1 8 5 3 3
2 8 5 3 3
3 11 6 4 3
4 9 5 4 3
5 9 6 4 3
6 9 5 3 3
7 9 5 4 3
8 9 5 3 3
9 9 6 4 3
10 10 6 4 3
11 9 5 4 3
12 8 5 3 3
13 8 5 3 3
14 8 5 3 3
15 9 5 3 3
16 8 5 3 3
17 8 5 3 3
18 9 5 3 3
19 8 5 3 3
20 9 6 4 3

mean 9 5 3 3
median 9 5 3 3
min 8 5 3 3
max 11 6 4 3

So the recommendation is conflicted. Assuming adventurers truly can handle 6-8 Medium to Hard encounters per "day", the XP budget is paying for fewer than they can handle. Let's call this difficulty setting Easy. To ramp to Medium difficulty without accelerating character levelling rates, we can discount encounter XPs 30%, e.g. four Orcs at 200XP are discounted to 140XP so we add two Orcs bringing the encounter (after discounting) to 210XP. Note that XP awarded is the discounted amount.

Remove ads