D&D 5E Resting and the frikkin' Elephant in the Room

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
How did any of us OG D&D players manage to pull TTRPing off back in the day? This hobby really should have died off in its infancy what with the things people expect of it these days.

Times change... some of us are too old to spend hours learning a new hobby. I want to learn to play guitar, I've started a few times but never gotten past the first few chords because I just don't have the time to dedicate to mastering it. Anything a hobby does to put up roadblocks to gaining proficiency is a bad thing IMHO.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Really? When I read opinions like that, I can't help but get the impression the next logical step is asking for the adventure to run itself. Or, at least define predetermined results at every turn so as to maintain expectations pre-written along the way. Otherwise, I can't fathom how a book could know how a particular adventure, being run form it, is going. It can't tell you. Because the things you are asking for will change every time it's ran. What you are asking for, seems to me, to result in a very railroad-y experience. No thanks.

There's a lot of space for creativity between "no recommended advice" and "run it exactly like this" in a published product.

Experienced (or stubborn) DMs likely don't mind the lack of guidelines, but less experienced DMs will often appreciate some hand holding. Regardless of your comfort level behind the screen, it's useful to have a glimpse of what the designer intended for resting, particularly in more controlled environments like dungeons.

Resting and time management are two areas I feel are lacking support relative to demand in many 5E products. I'd wager it's also the reason people often look outside the brand for inspiration (e.g. emulating "GM Moves" from Dungeon World to trigger events in response to player choices).

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Times change... some of us are too old to spend hours learning a new hobby.

This sort of thing doesn't take hours. It just takes an acceptance that the DM can decide things. No skills needed; just willingness.

Corwin

Explorer
All three adventures in the G-series addressed resting in the introduction (the party finds a neaby hidden cave they can retreat to). ToH might make mention of it too...I believe the party is free to leave and rest but demons reset everything in 24 hours...at least I recall reading that somewhere.
My comment wasn't addressing resting specifically at that point. But rather the modern need, by some, to have everything spelled out for you and handed to you. See robus' last post about learning guitar.

Uller

Adventurer
Times change... some of us are too old to spend hours learning a new hobby. I want to learn to play guitar, I've started a few times but never gotten past the first few chords because I just don't have the time to dedicate to mastering it. Anything a hobby does to put up roadblocks to gaining proficiency is a bad thing IMHO.
Rocksmith. It is fun. You dont need any gear other than an electric guitar and an xbox or PC and you'll be playing in no time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EN World mobile app

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
This sort of thing doesn't take hours. It just takes an acceptance that the DM can decide things. No skills needed; just willingness.

I think that's a bit dismissive? :) Surely "deciding things" well takes skill and experience? Informing DMs how rest might factor into tackling a particular dungeon in a published dungeon is a good teaching moment and accelerate their acquisition of skill.

Corwin

Explorer
I think that's a bit dismissive? :) Surely "deciding things" well takes skill and experience? Informing DMs how rest might factor into tackling a particular dungeon in a published dungeon is a good teaching moment and accelerate their acquisition of skill.
Give a man a fish...

Remove ads