D&D 5E Resting and the frikkin' Elephant in the Room

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure and some text in the adventure describing how rest was factored in to a tough encounter in would be a great teaching moment ;)

Sure. Passing the same information in multiple mediums is certainly effective. But we're not in the adventure. We were asked on a D&D message board, so that's where we're answering. Should I be writing an adventure, I'll be sure to mention it there, too.

There is no concept of 'Attrition' in the rules.
The challenge in DnD is casual and approximate, they dont sell thigh up challenge calculate at 10 hit points near.

At best simply remove Tiny hut and rope trick. Roll random encounter more often.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Sure. Passing the same information in multiple mediums is certainly effective. But we're not in the adventure. We were asked on a D&D message board, so that's where we're answering. Should I be writing an adventure, I'll be sure to mention it there, too.

??

I thought I was discussing published adventures and their reference (or lack thereof) to the rest mechanic? Not sure what you're talking about? :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
??

I thought I was discussing published adventures and their reference (or lack thereof) to the rest mechanic? Not sure what you're talking about? :)

I'm answering the OP's question about how to handle the stated situation. I haven't discussed any other topics.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I'm answering the OP's question about how to handle the stated situation. I haven't discussed any other topics.

Me too:

Now, here comes the elephant(s) in the room, that nobody seems to actually want to discuss:

* The official published scenarios never* provide what's needed to enforce this attrition.

jgsugden

Legend
Can I flip this around and ask (using spoiler text in your answers) where people have seen party TPKs due to a lack of rest in a published adventure? What I'm looking for are places where the party was prohibited from resting enough by the design of the adventure and the result was a TPK.

I'm not asking for the flip of this - people not having any time pressure and thus able to rest frequently - because I think there would be too many examples.

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I feel like you're being obstreperous for the sake of it. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. I'll leave you to it.

I'm really not. I'm just voicing an opinion (as a relatively new DM) that the published adventures could assist in how the rest mechanic should be applied while running said adventures. I stand in some support of CapnZapp is all :)

And I shall also leave it there.

Remove ads