D&D 5E Can Tavern Brawler use cards as Improvised Weapons?

Oofta

Legend
How realistic do you (and your DM) want to be? Mythbusters busted the myth that cards could be lethal, but it's a game. Want regular cards to be useful as deadly weapons? Go for it.

Of course, they were looking at modern, standard game cards there's nothing to say you couldn't make a special novelty deck with metal cards just for this purpose.

Ask your DM, decide what makes sense for you and your group.

thethain

First Post
Whenever you get into improvised weapons/actions you are at DMs discretion.

I don't think balance wise it'd be fine as long as you don't say "OK I throw the entire deck of cards at the guy do to 52d4+52xstr mod damage!"

Sacrosanct

Legend
If a player wanted this to be their schtick, I'd allow the cards to count as darts.

I wouldn't, but it's probably just me. A "dart" in D&D is not a pub dart. It's a lot closer to a lawn dart. Does a toothpick do 1d4+STR mod in damage, because that's a fair comparison to a playing card. Another reason is size and weight. A person would only be able to carry maybe a dozen darts or so, but could carry hundreds of playing cards without worrying about encumbrance. So it would in effect be like unlimited ammo, and that doesn't sit right with me either.

that all being said, if the player likes it, and the DM is OK with it, that's all that matters.

thethain

First Post
I wouldn't, but it's probably just me. A "dart" in D&D is not a pub dart. It's a lot closer to a lawn dart. Does a toothpick do 1d4+STR mod in damage, because that's a fair comparison to a playing card. Another reason is size and weight. A person would only be able to carry maybe a dozen darts or so, but could carry hundreds of playing cards without worrying about encumbrance. So it would in effect be like unlimited ammo, and that doesn't sit right with me either.

that all being said, if the player likes it, and the DM is OK with it, that's all that matters.

Darts weigh 1/4 lb. or 4 ounces, a regulation dart can weigh up to 1.4 ounces. So using the inverse square law,if you doubled a pub dart it would be 11 ounces. Or over twice as heavy as the DnD Dart. So the DnD Dart is roughly 1.5x the size of a standard pub dart.

As for weight. Even if you have 10 strength, thats 150 lbs (using standard encumbrance) or 600 darts. Granted you'd run into issues and probably have to spend a good bit of that in straps and packs and such, so realistically it would be reduced to maybe 500 darts, burn up 50 lbs on the rest of your gear and move down to maybe 300 darts or so. Still considerably more than "a dozen or so"

Same answer as predicted. Fantasy is thrown out the window and logic and physics is shoved in. So much for creativity, staying to a theme and it is true rules are written in stone. Man did Guardians of Order get it right. RIP.

guachi

Hero
LOL.
You came here asking for opinions. You got what you asked for. Now you complain you don't like the opinions you received.

If you want the cards to be magical cards that deal 1d4+dex damage when thrown, knock yourself out.

thethain

First Post
Same answer as predicted. Fantasy is thrown out the window and logic and physics is shoved in. So much for creativity, staying to a theme and it is true rules are written in stone. Man did Guardians of Order get it right. RIP.

Dude.. every single answer said "It's up to your DM"

No one is going to give you a hard YES on what is clearly and openly an improvisational attack.

Remove ads