D&D 5E Siege Weapons

Argyle King

Legend
Is there a way to gain proficiency with siege weapons in 5E?

Also, what skills would you say are required to build a siege weapon in 5E?

I've been thinking about what I'd like to do the next time I'm a player, and I like the idea of building a mobile version of a D&D Ballista by mounting it on a cart drawn by draft animals.

Possibly related questions: Would class features such as the ranged fighting style, sneak attack, or an eldritch knight's ability to summon a bonded weapon work with siege weaponry?

Geeknamese

Explorer
Is there a way to gain proficiency with siege weapons in 5E?

Also, what skills would you say are required to build a siege weapon in 5E?

I've been thinking about what I'd like to do the next time I'm a player, and I like the idea of building a mobile version of a D&D Ballista by mounting it on a cart drawn by draft animals.

Possibly related questions: Would class features such as the ranged fighting style, sneak attack, or an eldritch knight's ability to summon a bonded weapon work with siege weaponry?

If you're looking to make siege weaponry a big part of your campaign, I would say that it would make sense that the Soldier and City Watch (from SCAG) backgrounds would have Siege Weaponry Proficiency if you wanted to create that.

To build a siege weapon, I would imagine it would take Carpenter's Tools, Smith's Tools and/or perhaps Tinker's Tools to create siege weaponry...sounds like something Artificer's would be good at.

I would not apply any of any class features to the use of siege weaponry. Siege weaponry is a team sport. I would say Siege Weapons proficiency would be something like making a skill check. Depending on the DC level based on circumstances, a successful Intelligence (Siege Weapons) skill check, because of your careful calculations and tactics, or Charisma (Siege Weapons) skill check, because of your inspiring leadership, would allow your siege weapon team to make a siege weapon attack using your proficiency bonus (Siege Weapons themselves have static to hit bonuses in the DMG guide).

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Argyle King

Legend
I had noticed the static attack bonus. Though, it still appears as though there would be some skill involved on the part of the user. In particular, a ballista (or something like a scorpion, which I do not believe D&D has stats) can be used to target individuals. This would be especially true in a world with dragons, giants, and etc.

Though, I do suppose it creates some issues to allow class features to work with siege weaponry. Could multiple paladins stack their smite abilities onto a battering ram? (If no, could two paladins using a pike or a longspear -which are melee weapons- do so?) Still, if it doesn't work, the damage from something like a ballista appears to get outpaced pretty quickly by a PC simply using a regular weapon with class features and feats.

aco175

Legend
I could see a feat allowing something. Without it, I would not give proficiency and make load time by yourself 4 rounds, 2 if you have an assistant (NPC follower). With a feat I would allow proficiency and half the times.

It is a cool concept and a follower who drives the wagon and help to load like a squire or something sounds like fun. I would still make it too large to take into dungeons and be very mobile. Just make sure you give enough times for it to be usable and fun to take a feat for.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You might have to write a new background to support this - like Folk Hero (I think) giving you proficiency in Land Vehicles.

You need carpenters (carpenters tools) at least to build one, otherwise plunder a Town Market to get raw materials: rope, hides, pegs, screws, nuts, bolts, &c.
You also need great big rocks (stonecutters tools), or cut a large tree into stump-size pieces, for ammunition.

Building one might take a while (all day?), and the component parts are not at all carry-around-with-you-friendly.

As to aiming, I'd give gradually escalating plusses for firing at the same target. Using calculations B-) to improve your results - opposed to just yelling 'Load that stump in there! Raise the counterweight! LAUNCH!" - should get a bonus over time. Not sure how to indicate 'firing at a moving target' (such as a giant).

BTW, the PCs will still need a Ring of Feather Fall if they decide to have the siege engine launch them over the walls and into the fort. :eek:

Argyle King

Legend
What I had in mind for my next character was to fill the vehicle-guy niche that is seen in many movies and shows.

I haven't figured out how exactly I'd fit the vehicle into a dungeon yet.

There are some good points above about load times. I had considered taking the Noble background and using my "retainers" as the loading and maintenance crew.

I think I'd allow "Siege weaponry" as a tool/vehicle proficiency allowing you to add your prof bonus to Intelligence checks to accomplish specific tasks using siege weapons. Not using a "shot-by-shot" basis generally however, since most siege weaponry isn't capable of targeting moving creatures.

If what you're after is just a massive crossbow with a rate of fire faster than a shot every few minutes, then I'd treat that as a weapon proficiency. You could pick it up with the feat.
Ranged attack weapon style would apply, but I'd limit Warlock Blade pact and EK weapon summoning abilities to a weapon that you personally carry and use, rather than a crew-served or mounted weapon.

Remove ads