Just had an awful AL con weekend

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I've run and played with DMs who run at our local conventions (Con of the North, CONvergence, MarsCon), so thought I'd chime in.

Noise is indeed a problem. As you may know, they moved us to the hotel basement a couple of years ago and we now have many tables in the same room. The best I can do as DM is sit with my back to the wall, lean in, and occasionally ask the nearby tables to keep it down.

It is frustrating, but there's not a lot one DM can do about a noisy room experience -- everybody wants to be heard, but the louder your table gets, the harder it is for other tables to hear, which just escalates the noise problem.

Con of the North had an interesting solution to this problem with their previous hotel -- they used to provide the Con with a bunch of actual guest rooms cleared out for use as activity rooms, since there wasn't really enough conference space to host the con proper. CotN used those single rooms as RPG rooms, neatly avoiding noise problems. Of course, Organized Play wasn't as big a thing in those days; these days, AL or PFS pretty much needs a huge ballroom to host all the events they want, even at a smaller regional con, and that leads to noise.

Interestingly, the Strategicon conventions are the one place where I'm confident that I will run the game I was scheduled for. At other places, I've been handed a module 30 minutes before the slot, but not here. I did prep both tiers of DDEP6-1 and 6-2 and didn't know which I would run until the event.

I'm not sure if I can say that our local cons seem better organized than this than to say that our cons seem organized, period. We use Warhorn to organize sessions, and since DMs sign up for the sessions they're going to run, they know well in advance what games they're running and thus need to prep.

Of course, this can lead to a different problem -- since the Warhorn organizing takes place outside the regular convention schedule, someone who doesn't know about Warhorn who shows up at a table based on the convention schedule might be in for a rude shock. But at least our DMs are ready!

To an extent, we are victims of our own success. We have a lot of good DMs in the area, but we have huge demand, so we have the marginal DMs as well. I don't know if this is helpful, but you can always DM some slots yourself. Maybe you'll have a better experience.

It's always interesting to me when I hear players speculate about how much better they expect convention play to be than the play they get down at the FLGS. I and other regular DMs in game stores and other venues often view convention play as our opportunity to actually play the game we enjoy running -- which means that a lot of the better DMs in the region are taking themselves out of the DM pool so they get to actually play a game every so often. As noted by other posters, this leaves the convention in a bit of a bind sometimes; they need DMs to run tables, but the best DMs don't want to spend the entire convention simply running more games, which means they need to cast a wider net. It doesn't surprise me at all, therefore, that convention DMs tend not to be as experienced or polished as FLGS DMs. Even more to the point, if a con is big enough to offer concrete perks for DMing (such as free or discounted badges, or at Origins/GenCon, shared hotel space), often you'll get people who are surprisingly indifferent to their own DM skill because they're not DMing to bring a great experience to a number of tables, but for the opportunity to experience the convention 'on the cheap'.

Because of these two factors, I always approach convention play with a 'caveat emptor' approach; I've had some great experiences at big conventions, but some of my worst have been there, too. It's not an automatic creme de la creme experience at a big con, even at cons where the organizers promise a 'premier' experience.

--
Pauper

Warhorn has been wonderful for scheduling at smaller cons. I couldn’t imagine just showing up and hoping for the best these days.

We use Warhorn to organize sessions, and since DMs sign up for the sessions they're going to run, they know well in advance what games they're running and thus need to prep.

Of course, this can lead to a different problem -- since the Warhorn organizing takes place outside the regular convention schedule, someone who doesn't know about Warhorn who shows up at a table based on the convention schedule might be in for a rude shock. But at least our DMs are ready!

CydKnight

Explorer
It's always interesting to me when I hear players speculate about how much better they expect convention play to be than the play they get down at the FLGS. I and other regular DMs in game stores and other venues often view convention play as our opportunity to actually play the game we enjoy running -- which means that a lot of the better DMs in the region are taking themselves out of the DM pool so they get to actually play a game every so often. As noted by other posters, this leaves the convention in a bit of a bind sometimes; they need DMs to run tables, but the best DMs don't want to spend the entire convention simply running more games, which means they need to cast a wider net. It doesn't surprise me at all, therefore, that convention DMs tend not to be as experienced or polished as FLGS DMs. Even more to the point, if a con is big enough to offer concrete perks for DMing (such as free or discounted badges, or at Origins/GenCon, shared hotel space), often you'll get people who are surprisingly indifferent to their own DM skill because they're not DMing to bring a great experience to a number of tables, but for the opportunity to experience the convention 'on the cheap'.

Because of these two factors, I always approach convention play with a 'caveat emptor' approach; I've had some great experiences at big conventions, but some of my worst have been there, too. It's not an automatic creme de la creme experience at a big con, even at cons where the organizers promise a 'premier' experience.

--
Pauper
Yes, this has been my experience. Adding to that you are more than likely to be playing with people you haven't before will more often than not mean less continuity to the experience. The weekly FLGS experience should always provide a more consistently positive experience than the annual Con for that reason alone. If you get the experience described in the OP at the local FLGS, you are probably far more likely to simply stop playing there.

So yes, I approach game Cons similar to you in that I don't expect a perfect experience. If I get one, it only makes it that much better.

How many tables were at this con? One thing I'm seeing is that the popularity of 5e and AL is causing a lot of cons to highly inflate the number of tables they're offering. My local mega-con is nearly tripling their AL footprint this year. Those extra DMs have to come from somewhere. I'm just hoping we don't become victims of our own success.

Motorskills

Explorer
I can accept that I will get one*, maybe two sucky DMs at a Con, off-set usually by one or two amazing DMs**.

But this sounds out of all proportion, and I found the OP to be plausible. I hope Strategicon takes a close look at this for future Cons, maybe introduce some kind of vetting based on previous reviews.

*GAD-CON I'm looking at you

**GAD-CON I'm still looking at you.

CydKnight

Explorer
How many tables were at this con? One thing I'm seeing is that the popularity of 5e and AL is causing a lot of cons to highly inflate the number of tables they're offering. My local mega-con is nearly tripling their AL footprint this year. Those extra DMs have to come from somewhere. I'm just hoping we don't become victims of our own success.
So is this one of those "good problems to have" that comes with the increased popularity of 5E and AL? As the popularity continues to grow the pool of competent, experienced DMs becomes watered-down which diminishes the overall experience especially at Cons?

Vetting may help as Motorskills suggests but it may be at the expense of having enough DMs to meet the needs of the Con. My limited observation of Cons in my area is that they are typically scrambling to find enough DMs to fulfill table demand. It then becomes a choice of either supplying an optimal amount of tables to meet the participation needs of the Con but knowing you have one or more questionable DMs; or you offer only competent, experienced DMs but knowing you don't have enough to fulfill the needs of the Con.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I and other regular DMs in game stores and other venues often view convention play as our opportunity to actually play the game we enjoy running -- which means that a lot of the better DMs in the region are taking themselves out of the DM pool so they get to actually play a game every so often.
The first half of that is definitely me.
I hope the second half applies also.

My experience is mostly at Winter Fantasy. LFR and AL has been good-to-great.
Players have to take allowance for the fact that there are maybe 200 other players who all should get a cut of the organizers' attention too; it isn't just all about ME. Keep an appropriate (read: helpful, cooperative, patient) attitude and the day will go better.

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok. Suggestion time. I am planning on running DDAL 06-01 A Thousand Tiny Cuts at MagicCityCon come the end of the month. Any suggestions other than knowing the module.

Ok. Suggestion time. I am planning on running DDAL 06-01 A Thousand Tiny Cuts at MagicCityCon come the end of the month. Any suggestions other than knowing the module.

Be ready for noise. Use things like tented index cards to keep/show initiative and indicate who players are. Keeps need for talking down and makes it easier for folks to follow along. Time is your enemy. If you can streamline the opening of the mod so you get a lot of exposition done in an opening monologue. Establish a deadline for getting to the climax of the mod even if it means skipping an encounter or two. Players are usually accepting of skipping filler if necessary but they universally detest being denied the finale. Don't be afraid to mix the mod up a bit if you find the party is having too easy a time of it. I usually err on the side of increasing difficulty as players can nearly always rise to the occasion and like the thrill of a closely run encounter.

I ran three mods at last year's Gamehole Con and was able to use the hall we were in as a template for nearly all the encounters. Never used a grid and was able to point to different places in the room and say, "Your party enters from (there) and see a large cave with scattered puddles on the floor. A small waterfall tinkles into a small pool (there) and next to that is a wretched, overgrown iron-bound chest." Encounters went very quickly and the player/DM visualization was very clear.

Remove ads